Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast E-mail Accounts Can't Send to Particular Domains

Regular Visitor

Comcast E-mail Accounts Can't Send to Particular Domains

I manage several e-mail servers that are hosted by Linode.  I received a report that one user can't receive e-mail from a Comcast address.  Given that I have my own Comcast e-mail address, I decided to test it, and was able to confirm.  I can't send e-mail from my Comcast account, using the webmail application, to any of the e-mail addresses on my Linode server (I tried 3 addresses, with 3 different domains).  I am not aware that anyone else has a problem sending e-mail to my users.  Here is the error that gets returned by the Comcast server:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.      

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* name@myserver.org

Reason: Permanent Error

I can't see anything in the headers that indicates what the problem is.  None of my servers are on any e-mail blacklists.

How can I figure out what the problem is?

Thanks,

Dave

Regular Visitor

Re: Comcast E-mail Accounts Can't Send to Particular Domains

Are there admins who read these posts?  I would love to find out how to resolve this.

Gold Problem Solver

thczv wrote: Are there admins who read these posts? ...

Eventually . . .

Meanwhile, take a look at the raw source of the bounce message. There should be more information in the message body (not headers) once you do View Source.

Official Employee

thczv wrote:

Are there admins who read these posts?  I would love to find out how to resolve this.

Yes, we do read them. Someone will be reaching out to you with details.  The messages are being rejected by linode.

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I looked at the message source for several of these bounced e-mails.  In each case it shows that the messages were rejected by UCEProtect.  Here is an example:

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [96.114.154.169] blocked using dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net; IP 96.114.154.169 is UCEPROTECT-Level 1 listed. See http://www.uceprotect.net/rblcheck.php?ipr=96.114.154.169

Each one of these shows a different IP address for the client host, and none of the blocked addresses are my actual IP address, from which I sent the e-mails.  They all seem to be other Comcast IP addresses.  Three other examples: 69.252.207.35, 96.114.154.170, 96.114.154.162.

I don't see any evidence from the message source that these e-mails ever touched my servers on Linode.

Given that UCEProtect is blocking Comcast IP addresses, and that the IP address that gets blocked seems to be different every time, I don't think whitelisting can help.  I wouldn't even know what IP address to choose.  My actual Comcast IP address is not blocked by UCEProtect.

What do you think?

Gold Problem Solver

thczv wrote: ... Each one of these shows a different IP ...

They're all Comcast mail server IPs, so it's up to them to fix this, or at least to explain it. Let's hope that ComcastDaveL isn't kidding when he wrote "someone will be reaching out to you with details".

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation