Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast Blocking Incoming Emails

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Blocking Incoming Emails

I have been noticing more and more I am not receiving all my incoming emails. Is anyone else having a problem. I have my spam filter off, but comcast is still filtering.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast Blocking Incoming Emails

Yes, many have been having this problem. Seems to be due to Comcast's 'better than everyone else' idea of themselves. Before they took over TWC/RR I didn't have a problem with spam and I was receiving all of my emails. Trying to communicate this to them is frustrating at best.
Bronze Problem Solver

screen-name1 wrote:
I have been noticing more and more I am not receiving all my incoming emails. Is anyone else having a problem. I have my spam filter off, but comcast is still filtering.

How do you know you are not getting your emails? Are the senders getting an error message? Are the senders getting a bounce message? What happens when you send yourself an email? Is there a pattern associated with the email not received such as type of email or sender?
Frequent Visitor

I sent myself a message from a company I am affiliated with from an online manager. It was just a simply message, and I got a bounce back

Remote host said: 554 IMTA07.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast 63.88.172.158 Comcast BL004 Blocked for spam.  Please see http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=SecurityMail_Policy18628

I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long. 

(If my spam filter is set to off why is this happening??? Does not make sense. I want to filter my own emails. I do not want to risk not getting something I want.

I stopped getting notifications from paypal when I order something, other sites I used to get automatic notification when ever I say added a new ad stopped coming. Sites where you have to log in and I forgot my password and request that it be sent I am not receiving. Most of the blocking filtering seem to really start happening in the past few weeks.

I have been calling comcast all week, no help. I have an open ticket since Tuesday and no one is getting back to me. I have talked to supervisors and still no help.

I have been with comcast forever, have all their services pay my bill and expect much better service than what I am getting. I don't know what else I can do, but to switch providers. Not receiving emails you need and not knowing what ones are not coming in is extremely frustrating and cause me big problems.

Bronze Problem Solver

screen-name1 wrote:
I sent myself a message from a company I am affiliated with from an online manager. It was just a simply message, and I got a bounce back

Remote host said: 554 IMTA07.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast 63.88.172.158 Comcast BL004 Blocked for spam.  Please see http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=SecurityMail_Policy18628

I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long. 

(If my spam filter is set to off why is this happening??? Does not make sense. I want to filter my own emails. I do not want to risk not getting something I want.

I stopped getting notifications from paypal when I order something, other sites I used to get automatic notification when ever I say added a new ad stopped coming. Sites where you have to log in and I forgot my password and request that it be sent I am not receiving. Most of the blocking filtering seem to really start happening in the past few weeks.

I have been calling comcast all week, no help. I have an open ticket since Tuesday and no one is getting back to me. I have talked to supervisors and still no help.

I have been with comcast forever, have all their services pay my bill and expect much better service than what I am getting. I don't know what else I can do, but to switch providers. Not receiving emails you need and not knowing what ones are not coming in is extremely frustrating and cause me big problems.

It's happening because that IP seems to be sending out spam.. In fact there has been a 40% increase in email coming from that IP recently... That'll do it.. Comcast will block them, if they will follow that faq they can be removed.. but if their email volume continues on its presnet path.. Comcast will block them again.
TANSTAAFL!!

Frequent Visitor

CajunTek, you say the reason is because of too much spam but if a person has the spam filter off and wants to deal with it in their own way they should be allowed to do so. I am having too many emails blocked from sources I have been with for years. I never had a problem with spam from them and when I did receive some I dealt with it in my own way.
Bronze Problem Solver

go68elky wrote:
CajunTek, you say the reason is because of too much spam but if a person has the spam filter off and wants to deal with it in their own way they should be allowed to do so. I am having too many emails blocked from sources I have been with for years. I never had a problem with spam from them and when I did receive some I dealt with it in my own way.

Not likely, You should have seen the complaints in this forum before comcast implemented this policy.. What complaints are here now are miniscule in comparison...
TANSTAAFL!!

Email Expert

go68elky wrote:

The spam filter option only controls the content-based filter, it has no effect on the blacklist. If the sending IP is on the blacklist the connection is killed before it's allowed to send the recipient information, so recipient-specific options are not applicable.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

So you think a person should not have the right to deal with it as they want? And what I said about not having a problem before Comcast took over TWC/RR. You say not likely as though I made that up. Every communication I have had with bigchris or anyone from Comcast I run head on into this Big Brother mentality.
Email Expert

The problem is that if they allowed the spammers to send the messages before they filtered them, so that they could apply individual rules, they would probably need 5-10 times as many servers to handle all the processing.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

Just curious here, Barmar...

But what is the volume that a server handles?  
How many servers does comcast employ?
Have the number of servers increased with the number of new customers acquired from RR/TWR/Adelphia?{do I have them correctly?}
What exactly is a server?

And please remember that I am one of the least technical here, so in English please... 

ciao, bj

Gold Problem Solver

bj- Barmar is the Expert, so will just give you a link that may help explain what a server is:  LINK  in terms I even understood!

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Email Expert

A server is a computer that (in this context) receives incoming email for Comcast customers. They're similar to desktop computers, but usually have more memory and faster (and hence more expensive) processors and hard disks than most home users need. My guess is that they're typically about twice the cost of home computers, maybe a little less because they don't need monitors or fancy cases. There's also ongoing costs: service contracts, system administrator salaries, leasing space in datacenters.

I don't know how many of them Comcast has, but my guess is that it's probably in the neighborhood of 20-30. They almost certainly had to add more servers when they acquired other cable Internet providers, to handle the increased number of emails.

Another thing that will increase if they allow all the spam to be sent before any blocking is done is the amount of network traffic coming into the datacenters containing the servers. Either they would have to increase the bandwidth of the datacenter connections, add more datacenters, or let the existing pipes fill up, which would cause all mail delivery to slow down as everything queues up on the clogged connection.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

Barmar,
I'm not going into specifics but I just wanted to share that in terms of cost per machine, you're way off... waaayyyy off.

Datacenter class machines are a completely different beast than something I'd put under my desktop and a completely different cost. There's lots of things to consider. Firstly there is machine cost, then application software cost, then storage cost. No-one in their right mind building infrastructure of this size would use the internal drives that come in these machines as storage so you have to add in significant costs for that. Then you have networking, mutiple networks in all the machines, plus switches, routers, firewalls. Then you have to look at other anscillary costs such as racking, power supplies, UPS etc. etc. etc.

The list is big and the bigger and more robust the system the bigger the costs.

Again, I will not comment on what Comcast uses or how we build our infrastructure, but any the above applies to any carrier grade or large commercial enterprise across a all applications.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

CC, thanks for the link..  more reading and comprehension to undertake..  Smiley Wink

Barmar & Chris thanks for replying.    Neither one of you mentioned the size of one of Comcast's servers....   Is it bigger than a bread basket, smaller than the Borg or is physical size immaterial? 

ciao, bj
Most Valued Poster

Can't comment i'm afraid.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Problem Solver

BlueJay, here's a link to the Wiki definition of a server farm:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_farm.  That cabinet in the picture holds many processors.  There may be several cabinets in each of the Comcast server farms.  Just for calibration purposes, it is estimated that Google has about 450,000 processors scattered around the world in many server farms.  Comcast isn't as big as Google and they do different things, but you get the idea.  If you think Comcast is 1/1000th the size of Google, you can do the simple math for a rough estimate at how many processors Comcast has.
Problem Solver

bigchris wrote:

What are you afraid of??

ciao, bj

Problem Solver

Hi slouke, thanks for the link and your input...   Greatly appreciated..Smiley Happy

ciao, bj
New Poster

I just joined this forum for this very reason!!! I subscribe to a PA Lottery email notice that I receive 2 times a week. I got it for a few months then it didn't come in. I went out to the web site for the PA Lottery and reregistered to receive it. Again it went for a month or so then stopped coming in. I talked to the PA Lottery folks about this and they told me that Comcast is blocking their emails. I want to know how you can even think it's spam when you have to subscribe to it to receive it??????????

One more thing, What is with all the Winsock errors when either trying to pickup my mail or send my messages.

PS> - Don't BS me with a GUESS, I want to know exactly why these are happening. The Winsock errors only started happening since Jan 1, 2008!!!

I guess you don't care about keeping good customers cause you can always offer new Trinkets to entice new business until they find out how you treat good paying customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    
Frequent Visitor

Maybe it is time for a new ISP.
New Poster

I am having the same problem with not receiving my email.  Usually we have 5-10 a day,but lately our mailbox is empty.  They are not going to trash.  What is happening?  How can I resolve the problem?  Thanks
Problem Solver

BlueJay wrote:

bigchris wrote:

What are you afraid of??

ciao, bj

BlueJay, He's afraid of loosing his job if he gives away his company's proprietary information. Smiley Wink
Bronze Problem Solver

slouke,

I don't think bigchris is worried about losing his job, just because he's been turned loose here.

And it's silly to try to delve too deeply into the infrastructure behind any service provider.  Might as well ask how many angels can dance on the head of a pin (if you believe in angels...or that they have nothing better to do Smiley Wink) -- the angels aren't telling, and the pin may have a point.
Most Valued Poster

slouke wrote:

BlueJay wrote:

bigchris wrote:

What are you afraid of??

ciao, bj

BlueJay, He's afraid of loosing his job if he gives away his company's proprietary information. Smiley Wink

Arr.. gramatics, you just have to love it.

If i'd have written "Can't comment, I'm afraid". The , would suggest I'm afraid of commenting. Because I wrote it without the ",", in my interpretation of English it's just an expression. What I meant to say is "Sorry, I can't comment".

Now the reason I can't comment is it's proprietary confidential information which of course I can't comment on. Am I going in circles?

Oh well. At the end of the day as Bartelby mentions, it's not worth worrying about.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

bigchris, you said 'Oh well. At the end of the day as Bartelby mentions, it's not worth worrying about.'
Sounds like you really don't care that because of Comcast's better than everyone else's attitude you are blocking emails people are needing and expecting to receive.  
New Poster

Same here. In the last month I have had to get a G-mail account just so I could send and recieve an e-mail to my office and to my Dad who lives across town. Comcast tech support has been not been any help.

Jim 

Frequent Visitor

Comcast you will lose more and more customers once they realize you are blocking their WANTED emails. Your spam filters are way too strong and you are blocking a lot of emails that are NOT SPAM. I do not see where Comcast has the legal right to do this. We pay for a service and you are letting us downs by limiting the amount of emails that are intended for us. Shame on you! 

Most Valued Poster

go68elky wrote:
bigchris, you said 'Oh well. At the end of the day as Bartelby mentions, it's not worth worrying about.'
Sounds like you really don't care that because of Comcast's better than everyone else's attitude you are blocking emails people are needing and expecting to receive.  

go68elky,

Chris is most certainly referring to the details of what constitutes a server and is not talking about the impact of blocked emails on our customers.  If you spend some time reading Chris's posts in this forum, you will see that he is very dedicated to creating the best customer experience possible.

Unfortunately, this is one of those situations where it is impossible to please everyone.  When our blocking policies were more relaxed, we received an overwhelming number of complaints that we were not doing enough to combat Spam.  Now that we have more stringent rules in place to help minimize Spam, we are getting complaints that we are blocking mail.  People like Chris are here so that we can better understand things from the customer's perspective and attempt to provide the best overall balance.  I think that you will find that most of the regular posters are extremely thankful for the job that Chris is doing.  We do understand that this issue causes a lot of frustration for people and will continue to do everything possible to a create a positive, and hopefully Spam free, experience for everyone.
Most Valued Poster

screen-name1 wrote:
Comcast you will lose more and more customers once they realize you are blocking their WANTED emails. Your spam filters are way too strong and you are blocking a lot of emails that are NOT SPAM. I do not see where Comcast has the legal right to do this. We pay for a service and you are letting us downs by limiting the amount of emails that are intended for us. Shame on you! 

screen-name1,

If you look at many of the reports here in this forum, you will see that there is usually a very valid reason why these blocks are in place.  Many of the blocked servers are sending enormous amounts of Spam.  The cost of handling all of this traffic would be quite high.  In other situations, the sending servers are not configured properly, therefore triggering the filtering rules.  In most cases, it is an easy matter for us to work with the other party to help them configure their servers properly.  And yes, in some cases, our servers were configured improperly.  As I mentioned in my last post, this is a no win situation.  When our filters were less strong, the number of complaints in this forum was tenfold.  You will find that people are very polarized on this issue.  Many people demand that we protect them from Spam, while others would like to see everything come through unfettered.

Message Edited by Michael on 02-02-2008 10:20 PM
Frequent Visitor

The reasons the complaints do not appear to be as much at this time is because many people do not realize yet that you are blocking emails they want. I just started realizing this was a problem about two weeks ago. I am sure once people do notice they are not getting the emails they expected there will be a lot more posts on this. I gave up, so don't bother trying to give me the excuse of expense. I am just one account and pay Comcast over $200 a month, but shortly no longer. I have been with you for a long time as a loyal customer, but no more I am moving on for better service. I still have not gotten a response on my ticket which was opened over four days ago. This is not the kinda of service I expect from a company that I have been a customer of for many years.
Most Valued Poster

screen-name1,

I am very sorry that you have been having so many problems with our email service.  I looked at your open ticket and the description of the problem is not quite clear.  I have updated the ticket and asked that someone contact you directly to discuss further.  The only clear example that we have from you is the one you listed earlier in this thread.  In that particular case, the sending server is sending a very large amount of Spam (significantly over the threshold) and they will need to take action to clean up their end of things.
Email Expert

bigchris wrote:
Barmar,

I'm not going into specifics but I just wanted to share that in terms of cost per machine, you're way off... waaayyyy off.

Datacenter class machines are a completely different beast than something I'd put under my desktop and a completely different cost. There's lots of things to consider. Firstly there is machine cost, then application software cost, then storage cost. No-one in their right mind building infrastructure of this size would use the internal drives that come in these machines as storage so you have to add in significant costs for that.

Isn't that what I said? "more memory and faster (and hence more expensive) processors and hard disks than most home users need." I also mentioned some of the ancillary costs.

Just to clarify, though, I wasn't talking about the servers that STORE mail, I was just talking about the ones that process incoming mail (those are the ones relevant to the choice of blacklisting versus filtering). I assumed they don't need huge amounts of disk space.

Also, I expect that most companies mostly use blades rather than machines with cabinets. And when you buy lots of machines you get volume discounts. So when you factor in these savings with the fact that the machines are beefier, I guessed that you resulting cost of the machine would be around double that of home machines. But I'm certainly willing to believe that I underestimated.

I work for Akamai, a company that operates thousands of servers, but I have to admit that I have no idea what we pay for them.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Michael:

I realize you are in a tough spot. And people that spam and hackers that spread viruses ruin our internet experience and cause lots of other problems like this. I just really believe that your spam filters now are two strong. I did try working with you guys all week and your customer service reps and even your supervisors told me I had to give the ticket until 72 hours and by then someone would get back to me. Well nobody did, so I looked into another provider and I have it set up to switch over. I feel bad it has come to this, as I had mentioned I have been with you for a real long time, but not receiving all my emails is real bothersome and can cause me big problems. I hope you are able to come to a happy medium for your Comcast customers.  I have a feeling the ones that were complaining about the spam are going to start realizing they are now not getting some of their wanted emails and they will start complaining again.

Well anyways good luck and no one needs to contact me, as I put a lot of thought into switching over and for me I really feel this is the best solution. I can't be with a company that expects you to wait 72 hours before your problem is even looked at. 24 hours is more than reasonable 72 just to long.

Contributor

Screen name 1..I was having a problem with not receiving email from people with hotmail accounts and gmail. Big Chris, Again, and others here and on the phone spent quite a bit of time trying to figure it out. Ultimately, I was instructed to follow the directions here EXACTLY http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/board/message?board.id=2&thread.id=101266
and it worked. I don't know if it would solve your issue, but it's worth a try, perhaps.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks I will give it a try.
Regular Contributor

I have also followed these instruction exactly and lo and behold it worked for 2 days.  I hadn't even realized all the emails I was missing until they all piled in. What a pleasure to get my Trivia question of the day and Beliefnet newsletters and things I had forgotten about like Fox news updates.  I haven't been getting these things in months and was so happy.  Well, I got excited too fast as last nite about 5 I stopped getting emails and this morning only had a few and my Trivia question and most of my beliefnet daily newsletters didn't come in again so I guess its being blocked all over again.  I am with you about being very frustrated with their filters being so strong.  I am also investigating going to a new provider for email and also cable TV as I pay over 176 bucks a month for this lousy service. I will call customer service again but am not too hopeful. What a hassle and I hope that all the people who complained about Spam are happy now.  Comcast is just blocking everything and if AOL and other providers can get your emails to you without being blocked I just don't see why Comcst can't do it also. Just disgusted but will give it one last try with Cust.Ser. 
Regular Visitor

I am also just recently not receiving email that I know I should be getting. I thought that maybe it was because I bought my first MAC but Apple mail works the same way. I am not getting the emails on my Windows laptop either. I set up a Comcast email account for my wife and called several people that we always communicate with via email and asked them to send us emails to both addresses but none of them are coming through. I tried to set the filters in the Comcast email preferences to allow all mail but that doesn't work either. I asked the Comcast Help desk what the problem could be and they want to know what kind of error messages the senders are getting. They are not getting any messages, their emails to me just aren't coming. This is terrible.
Contributor

Michael,
I appreciate your good advice on the forums. I am having the same problems as Mactez and a lot of other people on this and other postings and am also frustrated. Perhaps Comast had set up the spam controls that are too severe in an attempt to respond to the complaints about SPAM a while back and just needs to adjust things and hit a middle ground. I don't have any other email except Web mail and have had Comcast for years so I can definitely see a major change in my email accounts in the last couple of months. I am no longer getting newsletters that I subscribe to and have contacted a couple of the senders who can see they have been blocked and even though they follow the procedure that Comcast tells them to unblock them, but it doesn't stick more than a week. I like to enter online sweepstakes from reputable companies (Sony, Circuit City, etc.) and am afraid that it is a waste of time because they won't even be able to contact me to tell me if I have won anything--even though I initiated the contact and most times have signed up to receive newsletters from them. My preferences are set correctly--nothing is blocked and SPAM folder is set up to catch Spam, but that doesn't work consistently except for a few emails. The frustration is that the blocking is random and we who pay for an email account have no ability to change anything to resolve it. I can't chase down every IP address that is blocked--especially when I don't know what all is being blocked. I only know that my emails are being blocked because like many others--there is a significant pattern change in email numbers I used to get, but don't get now, and I get some verbal messages from people who can't reach me, and also knowing that I signed up for things (such as newsletters) that I am not getting, but should be. I guess I would just like to know that Comcast has heard these complaints and is trying to do something on their end to loosen up the email blocks. I am not trying to be overly negative here--I'm just frustrated that so many people are saying the same thing and I haven't read anything hopeful about it getting resolved. Any help down the road??? 
Most Valued Poster

dkw197 wrote:
Michael, I appreciate your good advice on the forums. I am having the same problems as Mactez and a lot of other people on this and other postings and am also frustrated. Perhaps Comast had set up the spam controls that are too severe in an attempt to respond to the complaints about SPAM a while back and just needs to adjust things and hit a middle ground.

This is always a possibility.  We will be happy to investigate any claim of improper filtering.  If you believe this to be happening, please post the examples here so that we can look into them.

I am no longer getting newsletters that I subscribe to and have contacted a couple of the senders who can see they have been blocked and even though they follow the procedure that Comcast tells them to unblock them, but it doesn't stick more than a week.

This is almost always the case where the sender is sending large volumes of Spam or has a misconfigured server and is not making the necessary adjustments.  We are happy to unblock a blocked server, but unless the underlying cause is fixed, the server will be blocked again.  We are very receptive in working with these providers to help them get their settings configured properly.

The frustration is that the blocking is random and we who pay for an email account have no ability to change anything to resolve it.

The blocks are almost never random.  Something is triggering the filtering.  And yes, you can help by doing any of the following; submitting the block removal request linked from the bounce message, notify the sender of the bounces, or post the examples here so that we can look at them.  It is not our intention to put the onus on the customer, however, the vast majority of these blocks are justified and it is important for the customers to know that this is occurring.  Opening up the flood gates is not an acceptable alternative.  Is this the perfect solution?  Of course, not, however, this is the most efficient, fair and cost effective solution we have available at this time.  We will continue to look for opportunities to improve the process.  So for now, posting examples is a good way to bring visibility to the issue.  If we can work with the other party and get things configured properly, everyone wins.

Regular Contributor

Here are three that I know are being blocked for me.  I have posted before and have  been told they are sending out spam.  So what you are saying Michael is we are just SOL and cannot receive emails that we sign up for.  They are Sploofus.com, Beliefnet.com, Foxnews.com.  I mean come on, Fox News being blocked?  Its a wonder I get anything.  While I appreciate your help it seems I am fighting a losing battle here.  I want to be able to receive these newsletters everyday.  Something happened Friday and Saturday because it all came through and then got blocked again.  I am so tired of explaining this and I don't think its fair to just tighten the blocks.  Can't people just blacklist these sites if they don't want email from them?  Anyway see whats up with those 3 sites and I will call Comcast later today when I have time.  It is so frustrating to have to waste my time trying to get email from a service that I am paying for.  Comcast, if you are monitoring this you have a lot of unhappy customers so please figure this out or people will go to different ISP's. Verizon is cheaper too but I really don't want to change but I see no other alternative if I can't get this resolved.  Thanks again Michael but I'm just about given up.
Frequent Visitor

Oh yeah, they monitor this. I was sent to the corner for 'trolling for an arguement' when I was only expressing what I felt. We pay but also have to do the work.
Most Valued Poster

screen-name1,

I understand that our Security Assurance group has been trying to reach you to discuss this issue further.  The original ticket you had opened on 1/29 had not been routed correctly.  Our apologies for the delay.
Most Valued Poster

carol32353 wrote:
Here are three that I know are being blocked for me.  I have posted before and have  been told they are sending out spam.  So what you are saying Michael is we are just SOL and cannot receive emails that we sign up for.  They are Sploofus.com, Beliefnet.com, Foxnews.com.  I mean come on, Fox News being blocked? 

We are looking into these domains now.  Someone will be following up with you directly.  Please keep in mind that we do not block domains.  We block the specific email servers which have been flagged for Spam or configuration violations.  It is possible that many domains use the same servers.  So while a domain you deal with is legitimate, the company hosting their email servers is allowing other, less reputable companies, to send Spam.  In other cases, it is possible that a given domain will have many email servers and only some of them will be blocked.  In these cases, the recipients will see intermittent problems with receiving email (depending on which server was used to send).
Contributor

Michael,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me and for all of the advice. I understand what you are asking me to do in terms of getting the information to you about a blocked server--but what an enormous and time consuming job that would be for me. I would have to contact every newsletter/email that I should be getting and get all the information from them about why they are being blocked and then send it to you--I honestly don't have the time to run down all that information and do all that work for everyone today and in the future. One server I spoke to followed Comcast's instructions, but it only worked for a week and then they were blocked again--so all that work was for nothing. I still feel that I should be getting fewer of my emails blocked by Comcast and just hope that they lighten up on the controls they have put in place. Unfortunately I may have to go elsewhere if this continues, which is sad since I have been a Comcast customer for many years. It's just too frustrating to deal with on a continuing basis. That said, I still thank you for your help!
Most Valued Poster

Michael wrote:

carol32353 wrote:
Here are three that I know are being blocked for me.  I have posted before and have  been told they are sending out spam.  So what you are saying Michael is we are just SOL and cannot receive emails that we sign up for.  They are Sploofus.com, Beliefnet.com, Foxnews.com.  I mean come on, Fox News being blocked? 

We are looking into these domains now.  Someone will be following up with you directly.  Please keep in mind that we do not block domains.  We block the specific email servers which have been flagged for Spam or configuration violations.  It is possible that many domains use the same servers.  So while a domain you deal with is legitimate, the company hosting their email servers is allowing other, less reputable companies, to send Spam.  In other cases, it is possible that a given domain will have many email servers and only some of them will be blocked.  In these cases, the recipients will see intermittent problems with receiving email (depending on which server was used to send).

Each of these servers are currently unblocked.
Most Valued Poster

Michael wrote:
screen-name1,

I understand that our Security Assurance group has been trying to reach you to discuss this issue further.  The original ticket you had opened on 1/29 had not been routed correctly.  Our apologies for the delay.

I understand that you were contacted and that we will be following up tomorrow.
Most Valued Poster

dkw197 wrote:
Michael,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me and for all of the advice. I understand what you are asking me to do in terms of getting the information to you about a blocked server--but what an enormous and time consuming job that would be for me. I would have to contact every newsletter/email that I should be getting and get all the information from them about why they are being blocked and then send it to you

I am not suggesting that you track down every example, but rather to let us know about the ones you are aware of.  An easy way to do this is to post the headers of a newsletter that you had been receiving, but are no longer getting.

One server I spoke to followed Comcast's instructions, but it only worked for a week and then they were blocked again--so all that work was for nothing.

This is a very good indication that this is a Spammer friendly host.  They may have followed the instructions for requesting the block removal, but not actually fixed the initial cause for the block.

Contributor

Hi Michael,
I had a few exchanges with this sweepstakes newsletter administrator when I tried to subscribe to and couldn't get the email to come to my email box after I received the first one. I also never got it in my spam folder, it just stopped comeing. When I wrote them this is the reply I got, but it stayed blocked by Comcast. It was sent to the email address that I use for these forums--I didn't want to list it here but can you get it? Here is what the administrator of the site sent me:

From: "Sweepstakes Advantage" <sales@sweepsadvantage.com>
Hopefully you get this message. Comcast was incorrectly blocking our email. They have since unblocked us.

Does this help?? They are still blocked after he tried unblocking it. Thanks for your help.
Regular Contributor

I received a message last nite from Chavis at Comcast that those 3 sites are unblocked.  Unfortunately Michael they are not.  As of this morning I have received no emails from any of those sites.  Sploofus.com would have already sent the TQOTD and Beliefnet would have sent some of the newsletters, as I subscribe to most of them.  Fox.com I don't know about since it has been months since I received anything from them so I don't remember when they usually send their updates.  So whatever Chavis did had no effect for me to be able to get my emails.  What a mess, I am so discouraged.  I can't tell you how happy I was on Fri and Sat to get all my emails and now to snatch it back, what a letdown.  I am so ready to give up and go elsewhere. Thanks for trying but it seems that Comcast is just unable to address these issues so many people are having with email.  I guess people that don't have a problem are subscribing to sites that are so clean as to not send out even the teeniest bit of spam but it looks like most sites in order to make revenue to stay in business have to have advertising on their webpage.  This includes Comcast with all their mindless boring things on their webpage, which most people my age arent' interested in anyway. I'm so tired of dealing and worrying about this.
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats