New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast Blocking Bluehost IMAP and SMTP Servers

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Comcast Blocking Bluehost IMAP and SMTP Servers

All was fine until 24 hours ago...

...when I noticed that I could not send or receive emails from my email accounts hosted at Bluehost.com.  (Accounts at Yahoo!, gmail, iCloud and Rackspace all worked fine.)

This was happening across 3 platforms/multiple devices: 2 laptops on Mac OS, 3 iPhones on iOS, and 1 Android tablet.

I thought it might be some server setting at Bluehost (although it would have to have been across 2 subdomains, box289 and box484, which seemed unlikely).

So, I had a long call with Bluehost support.  I reset passwords in the control panel and clients, changed settings in my mail clients (e.g., SSL vs non-SSL configurations, retyping everything, etc.), and rebooted the devices and the modem (incl. disconnecting power & coax).

But the clients simply would not connect.

Webmail worked fine; I could access the domains, log in, send and receive as usual.

A final test showed that something at Comcast is the source of the problem.

The test was simple: just take the iPhone off WiFi and let it connect to the AT&T network.  The instant that I did this, mail started coming into the iPhone Mail app from the various Bluehost domains.

Later in the day, I had my MacBook Pro at a meeting, and upon connecting to the office WiFi, the mail client immediately sent and received Bluehost mail just fine.

So, there is probably something that just got reconfigured within Comcast that is blocking connections to Bluehost mail servers.

My call to Comcast support was dismaying.  This issue is a little bit more "back end" than a lot of what they see.  So all the rep could do was open a ticket.  And she said that the operations team (or whoever, I can't recall her wording) would look into it -- if they received more complaints.  Are you kidding me?!?  I can't use my Internet for one of the main use cases, email, and they might not even look into it?  Certainly no progress in the last 12 hours... </rant>

Is anyone else having a similar problem?  Any ideas on solutions?  Thanks for the help!

Accepted Solution

Re: Comcast Blocking Bluehost IMAP and SMTP Servers

Could you click on my name and send some private details about the sending/sending domain, as well as the intended recipient? If you know the IPs of the systems that are unable to send, that might also be helpful.

Additionally, you can request your IPs be unblocked (if that's what is causing the issue) here:

http://postmaster.comcast.net/IPB-removal.html

View answer in context
Official Employee

Could you click on my name and send some private details about the sending/sending domain, as well as the intended recipient? If you know the IPs of the systems that are unable to send, that might also be helpful.

Additionally, you can request your IPs be unblocked (if that's what is causing the issue) here:

http://postmaster.comcast.net/IPB-removal.html

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for responding!

I have submitted a Blocklist request, and have PM'd you with more information.

Thanks again!

Frequent Visitor

Good news: mail is now working!

I am not sure what caused it.

The IPs were not blacklisted, so that was not the issue.

I wonder if there was some temporary glitch, or a mistakenly-applied setting got noticed, or...???

Hopefully mail will just keep working like it should.

Thank you for taking the time to investigate!

Frequent Visitor

NOOOOOOOO!

It is happening again.

We had 2 power outages this afternoon, not sure if or how that could have been part of the problem.  It is probably just coincidental, as there were no power outages that I recall before the blocking started the first time, or before the blocking stopped.

Hopefully I can remove the "solved" status...and then REALLY get this solved.

Frequent Visitor

I'am having the same thing with Incerdimail, Even used Their Mail settings imap/smtp. Went to Incredimail help,they said comcast does not soupport IMAP. need help

Frequent Visitor

@fangg, I belive comcast DOES support IMAP, at least according to this article: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

However, it says (on another page that led me to this page) that you have to create a new emai account.

For more instructions, I think you can go to that page and a chat window may appear, or you can initiate chat or call.

Good luck.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation