Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Changing email config in Thunderbird to secure my password

Frequent Visitor

Changing email config in Thunderbird to secure my password

Using Thunderbird 46.  Recently became aware that my password had been compromised.  I immediately changed the password, but also noticed that my POP3 account setup was using 'connection secruity - none' and 'Authentication method - password, trasnmitted insecurely'.  I'd like to change those, but don't know what values to use and if anything else (like the port) needs to be changed as well.

Email Expert

Re: Changing email config in Thunderbird to secure my password

These are the settings for a client program---------------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/?eqs...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I realize this is peer-to-peer.  I'm not asking about anything that is specific to my account.  Just what would the be proper settings for connection security (startttls or ssl/tls) and authentication method ( encrypted password, or one of the other options).  I'd think that for the password the selection should be 'encrypted password' but don't know if there then needs to be other settings to allow a pswd that is encrypted prior to transmission to be decrypted upon receipt.

Frequent Visitor

Ok, after a bit more probing, it appears that POP3 will not support encrypted passwords.  I found the article on switching to IMAP (http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/pop-imap-mozilla-thunderbird) and tried to set up a new account in T-bird, but even then it wouldn't let me set to encrypted password.  It would set up for ssl/tls and passed the test with that but when I tried to switch it to encrypted password, it just reverted back to 'normal password'.

Bronze Problem Solver

EdStevens wrote:

I realize this is peer-to-peer.  I'm not asking about anything that is specific to my account.  Just what would the be proper settings for connection security (startttls or ssl/tls) and authentication method ( encrypted password, or one of the other options).  I'd think that for the password the selection should be 'encrypted password' but don't know if there then needs to be other settings to allow a pswd that is encrypted prior to transmission to be decrypted upon receipt.

Comcast doesn't support "encrypted password", but it does support "encrypted everything". The STARTTLS or SSL/TLS options encrypt *all* relevant traffic, including passwords. So, port 587 for STARTTLS, or port 465 for SSL/TLS, and don't select any "encrypted password" options.

That's only between you and the Comcast server. If you want "end to end" secure communication... that's a whole different  ballgame.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation