Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Cannot set up mail on 5s iPhone using ios 8.4.1 to access comcast.net mail

New Poster

Cannot set up mail on 5s iPhone using ios 8.4.1 to access comcast.net mail

I had the phone restored and lost all info.  Tried to set up the mail for comcast mail but it continues to deny me access.  My computer and ipad work just fine all passwords are correct.   I tried to set up the iPhone with the same mail settings as my wife's phone, but it continues to tell me that will not work as an IMAP set-up. I cannot get it to set up as a POP account. I do not want it set up as an IMAP but as a POP account as I do not want my mail to sync on all my devices.  I delete all mail on my mobile devices after reading, but want to file important mail on my computer.

What needs to be done to get it set up like my other mobile devices.

Thank you in advance.

Email Expert

Re: Cannot set up mail on 5s iPhone using ios 8.4.1 to access comcast.net mail

Several months ago Comcast became IMAP compliant, and that is now the default.  However, in OS X or iOS, there is a "trick" you can use to get around the installation.  When you are entering your password the first time, deliberately change it by one character or number so it's incorrect.  It will try to verify the account, and then a few seconds or so later it will tell you the account has to be configured manually.  Go ahead and start that, but this time use the real password, and you should see the option to choose either POP or IMAP.  Proceed from there.  Once you're into it, the settings are in these screen shots-----------------

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Screenshots-of-iPhone-5-mail-settings/m...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation