Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can't Send Email

Regular Contributor

Can't Send Email

Everything worked fine until today now I can't send. Getting message saying server doesn't support SSL while account setup indicates this server requires an encrypted connection (SSL). What's up?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't Send Email

I just posted similar message.  I was in the middle of e-mail conversations and all of a sudden my outgoing sporadically won't make it out.

suspecting smtp server problems, but no way to look that up.

Frequent Visitor

I can'r send either today.  I sent an email from my yahoo account and received it but my 2 other messages are still in my outbox - Outlook express.  Last time there were problems like this they changed the ports.

Frequent Visitor

i checked the comcast web site on e-mail setting.  still shows smtp recommended port as 587.

https://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

my e-mails makes it out sporadically.  so I think it's more of a server problem than a port setting problem.  hoping someone on comcast tech team looking into this.

Regular Contributor

I found a link to another post giving me another setup that worked for me.

Here it is:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Outlook-2007-won-t-send-email/m-p/11744...

Go to post number nine. I changed settings to as he instructed to::

• Pop E-Mail Tab: Incoming Mail Server (POP3) is set to mail.comcast.net
  • Pop E-Mail Tab: Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) is set to smtp.comcast.net - DO NOT check mark Require Secure password authentication (SPA)
  • Outgoing Server should be check marked "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
  • Advanced Tab: Incoming Server (Pop3) set to 110 DO NOT check mark server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
  • Advanced Tab: Outgoing Server (SMTP): set to 587 set use the following type of encrypted connection to NONE

I sent and received quicker than ever.

Frequent Visitor

i wasn't having problems with incoming, so I didn't do anything to it, but the outgoing is pretty much the same (port 587), except mine was set to require SSL.

but even without the change, the outgoing mails are getting through now.  may be changes on our end was irrelevant...?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, last time they had me change the port to 465, changing it to 587 fixed it.

New Poster

I have done everything that was suggested and I still can't send messages.  This started this afternoon.  At one point, I got a "send/receive complete" but the message was still sitting in the outbox.  very frustrating.  I've been working on this for over an hour.

Frequent Visitor

My port numbers are different the the others stated.  My outging STMP is now 587 (it was set at 465) and my incoming POP3 is 995.  Both boxes for 'server requires secure connection (SSL)' are checked.

Official Employee

Apologies, this was due to a temporary glitch in certificate management as we perform some system migrations.  This issue has been resolved, and would advise users to restore the SSL settings to your email client.  You should, where possible, use SSL or TLS to connect to network services such as email.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

CC_AA wrote:

Apologies, this was due to a temporary glitch in certificate management as we perform some system migrations.  This issue has been resolved, and would advise users to restore the SSL settings to your email client.  You should, where possible, use SSL or TLS to connect to network services such as email.

I set up my email as required. Still can't receive or send email. Are you still working on the system?

UPDATE: i have two Comcast email accounts configured identically. One of the accounts is working again but the other cannot receive. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Official Employee

I'm going to suggest you call our CSA department and have someone walk through the settings with you.  Sometimes it's a subtle difference and they're pretty good at spotting problems like that usually (might even be a problem with the internals of your account, which I don't have access to, but they do).  CSA can be reached at (888) 565-4329

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Has another problem occurred with certificates?  Since around May 8, emails sent using smtp.comcast.net are getting sent with no reported error, but no recipient receives them.

hotmail.com, outlook.com, and yahoo.com are just a few domains where my emails are not getting delivered.

Per previous instructions, I was using port 465/SSL, but I changed it to 587/TLS today.  Same result.  Again, no errors reported, yet no one receives the successfully-sent emails.  Using Outlook 2010 client.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation