Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Buffering on all email actions

New Poster

Buffering on all email actions

I have Windows 10 and am using FireFox as browser. 

My Xfinity email site keeps buffering whenever I want to do anything.  It will buffer when I click on an email to read it.  It buffers when I delete an email.  It buffers all the time after I try to take any action.  Sometimes it only buffers for a few seconds, other times for minutes at a time. 

I recently cleaned out my Inbox and my Trash...less than 50 items in each.

Anybody know what's going on and how to remedy it?  It is NOT FireFox...I've already explored that possibility.

Thanks!!!

Email Expert

Re: Buffering on all email actions

Did you try clearing out the browsing history in FF and re-starting it in a fresh session?  Also, you should try using a different browser as a test to see if you can duplicate the issue that way.  Try with Edge, IE-11 or Chrome.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thank you, Latoque, for your timely response...  I did change browsers from Chrome to FF because of this problem.  That did not ameliorate it. 

I did clear all of my history from FF (as you suggested) and that improved the situation, but though the buffering time seems to have decreased, it is still there and it shouldn't be.  If I click on an email to display it in the Preview screen or if I click "Delete" to (you guessed it) delete it, or if I hit the back button on my mouse to go from an email back to my Inbox list or if I try to do anything, it keeps buffering.  It is so annoying and shouldn't be happening at all!!!!

I'm convinced that it's Comcast sending me a weak Internet signal. 

Do you have any other suggestions on actions I might take (other than changing Internet providers)?

Thank you very much Latoque.

Still Sober Senior

Email Expert

I don't think it has anything to do with your signal.  The fact that your situation improved by clearing browsing history tells me something else is going on.  Have you run a diagnostic check of your system with your A/V software to see if anything else might be slowing you down?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Would you mind telling me how to do this?  I'm "computer OK", but not "computer smart".

Thank you, Latoque.

Email Expert

Open your security software----do you have the Norton's security on your computer that comes with Comcast service?  Or do you use something else like McAfee, or Avast, Kaspersky etc?  Once you have it open use it to run a complete scan of your system.  But there are other things that could cause such behavior too, like maybe you have too many things running in the background so your RAM is not sufficient.  If you have too many tabs open in a browser it will slow everything down too.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thanks Latoque.  I have already run a complete system (including my 3 multi-TB hard drives) scan with Norton.  It found absolutely no problems with anything (which is disconcerting...).  It took many hours. 

I have 8 GB Ram so I'm thinking it should be able to handle 6-8 tabs w/o much problem, however, I will, in the future, keep the open tabs and other programs running in the background, to a minimum. 

Also, one suggestion.  You may want to consider simplifying the wording of your advice to make it more easily understood by the "computer literate at the 6th grade level" user.  As an example...instead of writing:  "run a diagnostic check of your system with your A/V software" (as you did in your last message to me)  it would have been better to just tell me to run a complete system scan with Norton.  You might consider this "dumbing down", but I consider it to be writing at the "lowest common denominator".  This helps to assure that your readers, at whatever level of computer expertise, will comprehend what it is you're telling them to do w/o having to write back another message asking for clarification/instructions.  Does that make sense?  I hope so.

Again, if you have any further advice, I'd be glad to hear it.

Best Regards...   Sobernow

New Poster

I received two identical emails from Xfinity Forum asking me if my buffering problem had been resolved.

Neither of these emails provided a method to answer that question.

So I'm replying here to say NO!!!  My problem has not been resolved.

I am still getting annoying buffering (Window Circle) on every email action I try to take and I suspect I offended Latoque by suggesting that he try to write his answers in a less technical manner so as to be more inclusive.  Have not heard from him since...maybe he's out of ideas? 

So I'm still suffering from buffering.  Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.  I just did a complete system scan with Norton (about 3.6 million files) and no problems were detected (which makes me just a little uncomfortable...since I'm active on the Internet, shouldn't there have been some problems identified and corrected?).

Anyways...any help from anyone with a new idea/solution to my buffering would be greatly appreciated.  As a sober senior, I don't have enough time left to keep waiting through the buffering.

sobersenior

New Poster

I'm back and I think I found the solution to the buffering problem.

The problem was having the reading panel on.  When I clicked on an email, the reading panel would appear in the space provided to the right of the email.

Apparently, having a reading panel (or "preview pane" as it might be called on other systems) requires a lot of extra time  to "load" the panel/preview, especially when there are graphics in the email. The extra time to load translates to buffering.

On the email tab bar there is a "View" tab.  I clicked on it and selected "Reading Panel Off".  Remember, I'm using Xfinity Email.

Now that the reading panel is off, the buffering is minimal and bearable.

I hope this information is useful to someone.  It makes my email experience much more bearable.

Signing Out....sobersenior

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation