Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Automatic deletion of emails from comcast server.

Frequent Visitor

Automatic deletion of emails from comcast server.

I use my home computer using Outlook to download emails.   It works great and leaves original email on the server.

I recently started using my S5 with android 5.0 using the Infinity Connect app to download emails to my phone.  I can download copies of emails to both Outlook and Connect.

I like to download some email to keep on my home computer that is why I have both.  For convenience during the day I look at emails on my phone.

When I delete an email using Outlook it leaves a copy on the server as I would like.

When I delete an email from my phone it automatically deletes the email from the server. Older versions of Android gave you the option of not deleting from the server when downloaded to the phone.   That option apparently is not in the current Android version.   I switched from the Android email app to Infinity Connect hoping it would give me an option to not delete from server when I delete on my phone.  

I cannot find any setting for Infinity Connect that specify to save or delete from server when emails are deleted from the phone.

Any suggestions?

Official Employee

Re: Automatic deletion of emails from comcast server.

It largely depends on how you setup your S5.  By default it should be using IMAP ("should", but you'll want to check that for certain).  IMAP, by design syncronizes changes between your mail client (your phone in this case) and the server. So a delete occurs in both places.

In order to stop that, you'd need to reconfigure you S5 to use POP and then "leave message on server" will become an option.

The Xfinity Connect Mobile app, by it's very design, syncronizes with your webmail.  A delete in one place literally is a delete in the other, so there is "no leave on server" option within the mobile app.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the quick detailed response.

Would I have to go back to the email app on the phone and configure it to POP or can I use the xfinity connect app?

Where would I find the settings for POP in my comcast email>

Email Expert

See if this is what you need-------------------

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/access-popimap-folders-through-xfinitytradereg...

The settings for both IMAP and POP3 are here---------------

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you both for your quick response and valuable information.

I will try your suggestions.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation