Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Arris TG862 no longer displays View Connected Devices

Regular Contributor

Arris TG862 no longer displays View Connected Devices

On the main Gateway At A Glance page for my Arris TG862, I see a list of connected devices.  However, at the bottom of the list, if I click View Connected Devices, my IP/connected_devices_computers.php tries to open.  It fails with a general "could not load this page" error because "unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data - Error Code: Err_Empty_Response."  It used to work fine and I could name the connected devices.  All other options still work.  Any thoughts?

New Poster

Re: Arris TG862 no longer displays View Connected Devices

Same here, it worked sporadically and now that page does not come up at all.  I was adding reserved IPs from the connected_devices_computers.php screen and it just stopped working.  The page comes up, but it's completely empty.  I can manually type in the connected_devices_computers_add.php script to add more reserved IPs but I would like to use the other screen b/c it has more info that I need!  I rebooted the router and it still does not want to work.  I do not want to reset it back to factory defaults b/c I spent a long time setting this this up the way I want it.  Did Comcast send out a bad software update?

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem myself.  I have restarted the router several times. I'm also having trouble with some of my devices getting onto the wireless as well. I thought this issue was just me.

Regular Contributor

I had just added a new CCTV DVR and opened a port so I could view security cameras outside of my home network when I noticed this.  I thought it was something I did.  I re-booted the modem - didn't help.  Glad it is not just me but I too find it inconvenient.

New Poster

I wonder if it has anything to do with the host names or descriptions used for the devices.  I was adding lots of descriptions with apostrophes, etc. so if those things are not properly escaped in the code, it can cause problems.  Sometimes a misplaced quote or other random character can cause problems for the underlying PHP or HTML.

Regular Contributor

I wasn't doing anything besides the new DVR install - no new naming and the names I have are very simple.  I noticed there is another thread with the same issue and those people are blaming it on a pushed update.  (I searched for this topic before I started this one and somehow missed it.)

New Poster

I have been having the same problem.  Worked fine while reconfiguring network.  Was assigning IP addresses and stopped working. Seems to be a universal issue.

New Poster

Guess I'll jump in here and report the exact same problem.  I have gotten the view today - very occasionally, but I've been trying to reconfigure my devices to have reserved IPs and match them to the host file(s) and have only gotten the page to display about 1 out of every 50 or so tries.  Usually it's just a blank screen and that wasn't the case a few months ago when I last felt the need to check.

It concerns me that with so many reports that Comcast doesn't seem to think it's worthwhile to attempt to respond here.  Guess I'll have to call them on Monday.

New Poster

Sehale describes my situation perfectly.

As brackground, I periodically remove stale WiFi connections via 10.0.0.1/connected_devices_computers.php. I usually max out the # of connections during the holidays, when I grant my WiFi passkey to house guests (for their smart phones/tablets/and the like).

But to my disappointment, the handy 10.0.0.1/connected_devices_computers.php page failed to load, making it difficult to purge all those stale connections. Where usually this page works fine.

A chat session with Comcast did not resolve the functionality.

My workaround solution (read first and don’t attempt if you’re not comfortable):

In 10.0.0.1, “Troubleshooting”, “Reset/Reboot Gateway”, “Restore Factory Settings”.

The Reset takes several minutes. Upon reset, I reboot the Win7 PC connected via Ethernet.

Then my WiFi devices (laptops/smartphones/chromecast) automatically were “restored”.

And best of all, the 10.0.0.1/connected_devices_computers.php page is once again viewable and functions as “before”.

Cheers

Regular Contributor

tpasci7 - what software is your router running on?  I read this is issue is related to a recent update from Comcast.  Doing a factory reset reportedly only "fixes" this issue until the update is pushed down again.  Here are my numbers:  

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:7.6.59M
Software Image Name:TS070659M_092613_MODEL_862_GW_CT
Packet Cable:1.5

I don't want to do the factory reset if it doesn't last.  Thanks
New Poster

I really do not want to add all 16 devices, and set them up again after a factory reset... Is there no other way?  

I called Support... No help... I can wait a few days and see if there is a resolution before taking the draconian step of deleting everything and starting the setup of my network again... 

COMCAST please fix it. 

New Poster

ok I am computer stupid here. All I know is my wificonnections suck and comcast is little to no help at all.  I have this same modem/router, and keep dropping or not connecting even though I could be in the same room as it is?  Any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Regular Contributor

a314hah - your problem, as far as I know, is related to the missing View Connected Devices.  However, there is a work around for the poor wifi.  My wifi was excellent until this update was pushed down on us which caused, for me, the same poor wifi connection issues you describe.  The fix is to change your security setting on the router from WPA/WPA2-PSK(TKIP/AES) to WPA-PSK (TKIP).  Go into your router and check the wifi security.  Hit the drop down box and you will see the WPA-PSK (TKIP) a few slots down.  Select that.  Your wifi will go down for 30 seconds but then come back as fast as it was before.  Worked great for me.  Good luck.

New Poster

sehale-

Sorry for the late response. As requested, my router numbers:

Software Image Name: TS070659M_092613_MODEL_862_GW_CT_SIP_PC20

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 7.6.59M

Concerning my "factory reset", it's still ok for me (but it's only been a week). 

As other have commented, I too contacted Comcast (via chat), and "chat support" could not resolve

So I did the factory reset, and all has been golden. My decision was old fashion time/benefit . . . I couldn't add my new google chrome cast christmas gift until I purged all the stale wifi connections (I had maxed out). So I had nothing to lose on the "factory reset" front. I will mentioned my laptops/smartphones did "auto connect", so I didn't have to re-enter these "active" devices. Now concerning the "inactive" devices, these got purged . . . but this was good for my situation. Because it was all these "inactive" devices that maxed me out (holiday guests all wanting to connect their devices to my wifi).  

So I have been pleased with my decision to reset. And I was able to connect my google cast device.

Regular Contributor

tpasci7 - thanks for the info.  (Funny thing is I got my wife the Chromecast for Christmas - works great!).  I am afraid of factory re-setting my router due to some port forwarding I have done and such.  And I am leery it will just go "bad" again as others have reported.  However, you seem to have the same software as me with no issues...  If you would be so kind as to re-post in another week or so if the View Connected still works?  If yours holds up for two weeks, I may give it a shot.  (I have port forwarding and other settings I don't want to lose or change.)

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Well, I couldn't wait - I had a need to check my connected devices so I took the plunge and did the factory reset.  Painless!  I was afraid of major re-configuring after the reset but that didn't happen.  All I had to do was re-name the default SSID back to my original one, re-add the DMZ info (4 numbers), and everything re-connected.  As fast as before the problems and the View Connected Devices was working again.  No new software build numbers - same as before.  The only thing I noticed after a day was that the IPv6 was not connected.  I reset the gateway and it came right back.  So far so good.  

Frequent Visitor

How did you do the factory reset?  Also, Were you able to assign IP adresses to your devices?

Regular Contributor

edoe132 - i just used the web based function for the Arris (under Troubleshooting) and selected Factory Reset.  Probably took less than a minute.  I didn't bother assigning any IP addresses - the only thing I needed to factor in was DMZ for my networked home cameras.  I added that back in and the other devices connected "randomly."

New Poster

Sort of off-topic for this thread, but I'd be curious how you set up DMZ for your network cameras. I can't seem to get it to work. And BTW, thanks for the tip on the full reset. Fixed my connect devices page not loading problem, too.

Frequent Visitor

Same here.  Did the factory reset and everything is working now.  I even assigned IP addresses to my devices like before. 

P.S. It seems that this router has some hidden pages on it. I found a page for extending the range and sending E-mail notification from it.

Regular Contributor

edoe132 - can you elaborate on those pages?  What's the IP and/or how did you find them?

Glad the re-set worked for you.

Regular Contributor

kpedraja - I have a Q See QT system I just got around Christmas.  The local viewing of the cameras on wired or wireless devices set up in no time - as long as I was on my home network.  I followed the Q See instructions for the port forwarding and DDNS but I still could not see my cameras out of network.  I re-read the instructions and saw it said if you are still having problems, go to (on our router) Advanced>DMZ>DMZ Enabled>DMZ Host is the IP address of your DVR.  10.0.0.##.  That fixed it right up for me.  Good luck.

Frequent Visitor

Log on to your router and right click on the page and select "View Source." A new window will appear on the screen with the source code of the router. If you can understand program language you will notice some commented out code on the page. These are links to other pages on the router.  I found one that extends the wifi range another that configure an Email Notification features.  There are two more pages I can't remember but you can check it out. I wouldn't make any changes to these pages but it's cool see what else this router is capable of doing. 

Contributor

I have the same problem... the "View Connected Devices" page is blank.  I used to be able to get it to work after a reboot at least for a little while, but I just rebooted and it didn't work from the get-go.  I need to use this page to manage devices which are assigned fixed IP addresses.  I did successfully set up two devices on this page.

Is Comcast going to address the problem?  It doesn't seem like they bother to read their own "Help and Support Forums"... <sigh>

I dread the thought of trying to call them on the phone and spend yet more hours of my life trying to explain this problem, and then have it amount to no solution (like so many problems previously).

Frequent Visitor

Ok, I did a reset of my wireless gateway and now I can't see my connected devices page anymore.  Strange router.

Contributor

I guess I was a glutton for punishment yesterday so I decided to call in about this problem.  I spent over 1.5 hours on the phone with 1-800-COMCAST, along a chain of 3 different departments, ending up in "Technical Support".

The T.S. guy told me he would tell engineering about the problem with the "View Connected Devices" page, but he said they would MOST LIKELY NOT make any changes to fix that page because it is beyond the basic "Comcast provides a working WiFi service" level of service.  He said the customers are allowed to use the features that are available in the router, but Comcast doesn't guarantee any features other than providing the "basic WiFi connection".

So, he suggested I have him reconfigure my TG862G for "bridged mode" so that I could use my own router (to give out specific reserved IPs to some of my devices, do port forwarding, etc.).  He also said that putting the router into bridged mode would completely disable all WiFi on the router and turn it into essentially a basic cable/voice modem.  That turned out to be partially true.  The "bridged mode" did in fact turn the box into a cable/voice modem so I could use my own router, and it did in fact disable the private WiFi network that I had set up, and the WiFi light on the front of the box even went off (indicating to me that the WiFi was disabled).  So after I initially could see that the router was bridging, I needed to configure my router to take over the routing duties, so I ask the tech to call me back in 30 minutes to make sure everything was working okay... he said he would... so I thanked him, hung up and went about getting my router set up to do all the things I need it to do.  Later on, I fired up my WiFi analyzer to see what channel would be best now that the TG862G was off the air... and then I discovered that TG862G was still broadcasting the "xfinitywifi" hotspot signal on channel 1 (which turns out to be the best channel at my house currently, in the midst of all of the neighbors' WiFi routers).  That's sneaky.  The WiFi light on the front of the TG862G is OFF... hmmmm.

Sigh.

Hmmmm... the tech never called me back.  I wasn't suprised.  This is not the first time a tech told me they would follow up on a problem... then didn't.

Oh well.

So, with the not-so-disabled WiFi problem still at large today, I called 1-800-COMCAST again.

I asked to have the "Xfinity Home Hotspot" disabled and the lady said that was no problem.  She said that doing this would put the router into bridged mode (according to their system, the router was NOT in bridged mode yet... I guess the Technical Support guy did it on the back end and didn't bother with updating whatever system the other departments see... SIGH... so many systems that don't seem to talk to each other... this is a COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY... right?).  I told her that Technical Support already configured it for bridged mode yesterday, but she just kept saying that it wasn't set for bridged mode from what she could see... but she was going to take care of that.  My guess is, if you want to disable the "Xfinity Home Hotspot", you can't do that unless you have your own router (disabling it requires the router to be changed to bridged mode) but I didn't want to confuse the issue by asking a bunch of extra questions.  After about 10 minutes on this call it was a done deal and the "xfinitywifi" signal was gone.

Side note:  Someone in my original chain of departments must have initiated a support call to dispatch a technician to my house between 3-5pm today.  I received 2 calls on my cell phone (the number I used to call them - not my Digital Voice house line) asking me to confirm, and I tried to cancel it each time.  When I called 1-800-COMCAST today, the voice system immediately said "Oh... I see you have a service call for today..." and I had to go thru trying to cancel it a 3rd time... that wasted another 20 minutes of my life to get this phantom service call put down. Sheesh.  Then I noticed there was a service call charge on my new bill for $30.90 for when a tech came out to our house to fix a total outage we were having because suddenly the signal strength in my house was insufficient (Comcast reinstalled all the wiring in my house about 6 years ago during a month long "Internet won't work at all" debacle - which turned out to be a bad cable modem that we had been using for 4+ years)... so that was another 11 minute call to 1-800-COMCAST to get the billing problem resolved... however.. I have to go ahead and pay the extra $30.90 up front, despite their mistake, and they'll credit it back on the next bill.  (Huh? SIGH).

So all in all, with a modest 3+ hours on the phone, I might actually be in "good shape" at this point.  I guess I can call myself lucky for this 2-day go-round.

Frequent Visitor

Try doing a factory reset. I didn this and I got my connected devices to appears. I did notice that It was missign agian but it came back on after five mintues later.

Frequent Visitor

TG862 no longer displays View Connected Devices

I can see by the length of this thread that I don't really have anything to add other than a "me too", and to agree with those who rather chew their own hand off rather than try to talk to a Comcast CSR about the problem.  The last time I called about a routing problem that appeared to be in the comcast network, I explained my findings and test results in full detail (I work for cable company myself), until the woman eventually asked me "Are we talking about the Internet?".  I nearly dropped the phone.

My favorite call to Comcast was a few years back when a CSR told me to disconenct my ethernet cable and "turn it around".  Not just unplug it and plug it back in, which was a reasonable request, but to actually swap the ends so that the end that was connected to the modem would connect to the computer and vise versa.   When I asked why, I was told that doing so would "shake out any left over data that might be stuck in the cable".  

Regular Visitor

Just a quick FYI. I had this problem as well, did a factory reset and the Connected Devices page started working again. Here's what I found out after a quick experiment this morning: I reserved an IP for my cell phone, whenever I switched the phone's WIFI off I would get a blank page or that "empty response" message. Switched WIFI back on and the page started working normally.
Regular Visitor

This was moved to another area from a close topic but, I see others are currently having the same issues that I am having.  I spent quite some time on the phone with a few different people (a couple of different calls).  Today (4 days after the phone calls) I am trying to configure port forwarding and it shows it is working but the port will not open (according to several online port checkers using outside connection to check my port status).  I noticed that the connected page still will not open if ANY ONE OF MY DEVICES listed is offline.  My wife and I went arount the house and made sure to turn on and connect EVERY DEVICE (phones, tablets, readers, computers, laptops, etc) and now the page will display the way it  should, however, if we turn off ANY SINGLE DEVICE on our network, the page will stop displaying, either showing a check your address to just freezing blank under the toolbars.  We have tried IE11, IE9, Chrome, Firefox, and even the Android browser on a phone.  If you are having this problem, try making sure that EVERY DEVICE WIRELESS OR WIRED is turned on and CONNECTED to your network, then log into your router and try the connected devices again.  Between this fluke and the ports not actually opening, there must be a firmware or hardware issue with the gateway.  BTW, this just started to happen after the holidays for me.  I added a tablet just before Christmas, no problem, and then I was adding a NAS for backup (mid Jan 2014) and noticed issues.  I have been able to open the port (however it was spotty) and since performing the factory re-set of the gateway this weekend, I have not been able to open it again.  I use the NAS as local backup (works like a charm) and for backup of photos on our phones from inside and out of our home.  I hope this information helps to find the issues and get them addressed.

One last thing, during one of my calls to xfinity support, I was told that the issue of connected devices page and new devices not being able to get an ip, were the fault of ALL my devices.  The tech told me to contact all of the manufacturers of the devices that we use.

I am having a crazy issue with the connected devices page.  I have been assigning static IPs to everything in my house, no problems for a few years.  I go to add a nas for backup and it is having trouble getting it's initial dynamic ip (first boot).  I go into the Arris TG862 and when I click on the connected devices tab, the screen says dhcp service starting, goes away and the screen stays blank, address line shows the page but nothing below the tool bars.  I go back try again same thing.  I try two other browsers and get the same results.  The nas finally gets a ip and I am able to configure it and set it static (from the nas settings not the gateway).  Next day my wife's tablet is working in the morning but that evening she powers it on and gets an authentication error when trying to connect to our gateway.  After a couple of hours trying many different things and restarting/resetting the gateway (not to factory yet) nothing is working.  Comcast was no help other than say to factory restore the gateway.  I wrote all my changed settings down and in the morning I factory restored the gateway.  I had shut every device off in the house and started with one computer at a time.  By the time I was slightly over half way finished resetting my network, I tried the tablet and it worked.  I continue working on all my settings (blue ray, tablets, reader, computer, laptop) and all of a sudden I was locked out again.  I could not get my printer to optain an ip.  My wife walks back in from out front and the gateway started to work again.  I finish setting up everything (except one reader) and it seems to be working.  My wife goes shopping and when I try to set up the reader, it will not authenticate.  I go to check the connected devices and the dhcp screen (connected devices) will not show anything same as in the beginning.  I  now factory restore the gateway and turn off everything in the house again.

I setup my lan on the gateway with only a single computer on and then the printer (wired).  I add the reader in and no problem.  I turn off the reader and try to add  my cell phone and once again I am locked out from connected devices screen and the phone will not authenticate.  On a funny hunch I try and turn the reader back on and everything starts working normally again.  I try to switch to a different wireless network with the reader and it stops working again.  I switch back and it starts to work again.  I try with different wired and wireless devices in the house and everytime that I leave the network with a device configured on it, the system (gateway connected devices stops working again.

A call to comcast home networking and 45mins later the tech tells me that I need to call all of the manufacturers of every device that is causing this to happen to find what the problem is (even though the only common link is the gateway) with the 9-10 different devices.  I have been suspecting a firmware update or something.  I continue and can trigger the issues on demand just by leaving the network with any of the either wired or wireless devices already connected, and then a new device cannot authenticate, until I make sure every device is back on the network.

Another issue is that the gateway will show a device as online and then it will show as offline (even the computer I am using to access the gateway configurations with) or even online and offline at the same time and it will show the wrong IP or two different IPs at the same time one in each of the listings.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE SOMETHING CRAZY LIKE THIS HAPPENING?

New Poster

I've read most of the posts from this thread and most have three things in common, ARRIS TG862; most users has contacted comcast support center and, neither user has been able to viww connected devices. Solution is very simple, as long as all of your reserved-ip devices are at range with yor wi-fi.. FIRST SOLUTION: Turn on all ip-reserved devices using your home wi-fi, and browse to the tab Connected devices and that's it. I don't know why, but somewhere in the middle of a software or firmware update, a patch from the modem manufacturer was not correctly applied and that makes it harder for us, and we can't change the way firmware or software is updated, neither choose to update it or not. You could do a factory reset, but it will only work for an hour or a day, after midnight, problem will be back again, as I guess updates are performed after midnight. Second Solution: Buy a comcast compatible MODEM from MOTOROLA, NETGEAR or any other manufacturer you consider is good or  is suggested by a certified retailer (Compusa, Tigerdirect, Brandsmart, Bestbuy), test it, and if it works fine, voila.

Frequent Visitor

Add me to the list of having the connectioned devices not showing up. I will try a factory reset once I get home. Hopefully that will fix it.  However I have another problem and I don't know if this is tied to this bug.  My xbox 360 will not connect to the Internet.  It will connect to my network where I can stream movies off my pc, however if i try to connect to the Internet it fails everytime.  It's like this gateway is blocking the 360's access to the net.  I've rebooted both devices as well as powercycled both and still no luck.  Any further suggestions would be appreciated. Hopefully the factory reset will resolve this as well.

Regular Contributor

Risca - the problem seems to be having a device, with a static IP address, turned off or out of wifi range when you try to open the Connected Devices page.  I did a factory re-set (went smoothly) so go ahead and try that.  Since the re-set and understanding the issue, i can view the Connected Devices with no problems.  I can replicate the problem (dynamically IP addressed device off = no page; on = page viewable).  Also, for what it is worth, my son's XBox 360, which is connected via ethernet, works fine with this router.  Good luck.

New Poster

I have also encountered this problem.   It coincided with me moving some network devices and PCs onto Reserved IPs instead of drawing addresses from the DHCP pool.   Before resorting to the factory reset button, I decided to try a cold boot instead of warm reboot.  The warm online 10.0.0.1 admin interface reboot fixed nothing, but the cold boot worked (yank out the power cable and coaxial cable, then replace the power cable, then replace the coaxial cable).

New Poster

I've read through all of the responses here and can say I experience the EXACT same issue.  However, I have a much more stern message for Comcast (that they won't read):

SHAME ON YOU

The workaround, which is to enable all wirelessly connected devices that may have ever pulled an IP from the device is insane.  What do folks do (besides a factory reset) when they have devices that are no longer available.  Do you expect customers to repeatedly do factory resets whenever a device goes missing and they want to access the connected devices page again?

So, I repeat:

SHAME ON YOU

I guess my only next step is to stop using your crappy devices and finally bite the bullet to put the router into bridge mode.  The fact that I cannot do it myself compared to how it was on your older devices is also a shame.

So, I repeat one last time:

SHAME ON YOU

New Poster

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

1. Go to Gateway -> Connection -> Local IP Address

2. Reduce the DHCP Lease Time to 5 minutes.

3. Click the SAVE SETTINGS button.

4. Wait 5 minutes.

5. Click Connected Devices.

Fixed it for me.

I suspect each of us has some "error" in the internal list of connected devices and the above clears out the error.

New Poster

I fixed the same Xbox 360 problem as yours so long ago now that I don't remember *exactly* what the fix was, but it goes something like this.  Go to the Parental Control area.  Whever there is a feature that starts with the word Managed, such as Managed Sites, make sure that feature is Disabled.  Don't block any Sites or Keywords or Services.  Set Access Type to Allow All under Managed Devices.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats