Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Apple TV4 activations don't stick

ANSWERED
New Poster

Apple TV4 activations don't stick

My new Apple TV4 is having a problem with Comcast-Xfinity.  If I activate CNBC on Apple TV4 (or History or PBS channels) and go back to watch something a day or so later, I get an error message that usually says something like "No Authrz".  I have to sign out and then reactivate the Apple TV4.  

This is a problem that did not exist on Apple TV3, but is happening quite annoyingly regularly now.  What's the magic cure for this grief?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Apple TV4 activations don't stick

After further troubleshooting, if you receive the "noAuthz" error message, our engineers recommend removing the app from your Apple TV or Roku streaming device, then reinstall it and attempt to activate/authorize again with the provided code and XFINITY login.

View answer in context
Official Employee

Is the issue happening with just the apps you mentioned above (CNBC/History/PBS) or is it any TV channel app on your device you try to authorize with?

FWIW, I haven't seen this issue occur after the authorization takes, however, it sounds like the data might not be getting 'saved' on the Apple TV itself past the initial successful login attempt. I had this issue when I first connected my ATV3 and 4 at home, but after a few attempts I was able to authorize successfully and haven't had any issues since. I do remember having to restart the ATV to get it working properly.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for the reply!  No, this happens regularly with all of the apps that require a Comcast/Xfinity activation. Apple says it is a cable provider problem, so I don't know what the deal is. It is quite frustrating having to sign out and then immediately signing back in with a new activation code. Something is messed up, but I don't know where.

Restarting the Apple TV did not solve the problem, I am sorry to say, but thanks again for the reply. If you do hear of others having this problem, I'd like to know their solution.  

Thanks,  Robb

Official Employee

I'd like to dive deeper on this for you. I will have our engineers investigate our end of things and get back with you.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Much appreciated, thanks!

New Poster

This happens ALL the time with my current Apple TV (generation 2) and it is super annoying. Actually, its one of the reasons that I hesitate to buy a newer generation. At least once  week I have to log out, log back in, get the auth code and then go to the activate page for that channel. Its even more annoying because the TV it is on we use for our kids who cant do all of that themselves so it takes me 15 minutes to get a 30 minute show set up for them. Aggggh!!

New Poster

And Xfinity is my service provider as well. 

Official Employee

After checking with our engineers, we are currently tracking an issue where authorizations are not staying active on some network channel apps on Apple TV generations 2/3/4. There is an ticket open for our engineers to troubleshoot the issue, and I have placed notes on both of your accounts to document the trouble you're having.

Once I have additional information to share publically, I'll update this thread. In the meantime, our engineering team may reach out to you directly for additional troubleshooting or to provide you with a solution.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Thank you very, very much!  Really hope you get this issue resolved!

Robb

New Poster

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only who is aggravated by this!  Hopefully, you are reading the recent update from ComcastJohnF about the issue and perhaps we will have a solution soon!

Robb

Regular Visitor

John - 

I just bought an Apple TV 4th generation.  Your 'diving deeper' may reveal the answer to a related issue I'm experiencing with Comcast and Apple TV.

When I attempt to use the activation code the app offers me, neither Comcast nor Xfinity is offered as 'provider' of cable / internet.  ATT-Uverse is listed.  Cox cable is listed.  Verison is listed.  etc. etc.   As a result, I am unable to activate, on my Apple TV, many channels I pay Comcast to view -- e.g. HGTV, BRAVO, etc.

If you can help me figure out how to work around this bizarre situation, I will be most appreciative to you, good sir.

Thank you.

Bill

Official Employee

billdoerr wrote:

When I attempt to use the activation code the app offers me, neither Comcast nor Xfinity is offered as 'provider' of cable / internet.  ATT-Uverse is listed.  Cox cable is listed.  Verison is listed.  etc. etc.   As a result, I am unable to activate, on my Apple TV, many channels I pay Comcast to view -- e.g. HGTV, BRAVO, etc.

Some content providers don't allow streaming by XFINITY subscribers who have a particular channel in their current package. The developer of the application would need to enable their app to allow XFINITY customers to stream the channel on the device of their choosing.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

After further troubleshooting, if you receive the "noAuthz" error message, our engineers recommend removing the app from your Apple TV or Roku streaming device, then reinstall it and attempt to activate/authorize again with the provided code and XFINITY login.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation