Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Add Xfinity Connect (web.mail.comcast) as an application for mailto links? How to remove

New Poster

Add Xfinity Connect (web.mail.comcast) as an application for mailto links? How to remove

Hi, I am on Linux Mint, using Firefox 50 and I do not wish to use the Xfinity Connect application. How do I remove this always popping up?
Email Expert

Re: Add Xfinity Connect (web.mail.comcast) as an application for mailto links? How to remove

You need to clarify-------what "app" are you talking about?  Where is it popping up?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Add Xfinity Connect (web.mail.comcast) as an application for mailto links? How to remove

Latoque wrote:  ... what "app" are you talking about?  Where is it popping up?

Maybe it's like the one I posted at http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Default-email/m-p/2131246#M105366 ?

ETA:

CT77 wrote: Hi, I am on Linux Mint, using Firefox 50 and I do not wish to use the Xfinity Connect application. How do I remove this always popping up?

The feature has never even been acknowledged by Comcast, let alone documented, so I can't give you a good answer. When it popped up for me, I allowed the install, but configured Firefox to continue to use my local client for MailTo links. After I did that, I didn't see the popup any more.

Email Expert

Probably is the same.  I'm using FF-50 on the Mac and I cannot duplicate it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Hi BruceW, is exactly the same. I never had it before until FF50. There is no option to say no, cancel or anything, like most things that want your attention. I am NOT accepting it-I do NOT want my main E-mail as the go-to for the world wide web. And there needs to be a way to stop it once and for all. How can Comcast not even acknowledge it? This is bizarre too...they just want people to blindly click on everything that comes their way? lol I know people who would. I also went into about:config and tried researching and couldn't find it. I did not know that that other post was for this because it was not in the title, I guess, because I even tried to search on this site. I take it, no one has figured out a solution then? That is a bummer. As much as I know about computers, I really lack in the programming side. Oh, and how come not everyone (FF users-maybe others) is getting this? That does not make any sense either.
Regular Visitor

I see it will not let me edit after so much time, so I am replying to this again. I found an answer:

In Firefox go to about:config

In the search box type  mail

Go to and toggle to make it False: network.protocol-handler.external.mailto

And it goes away!

As for someone on the other board suggesting FF, Preferences, Applications-that has nothing to do with the pop-up.

I have Thunderbird in the Applications section as well. We were talking about that pop-up that BruceW posted as a pic

I tested this several times now and NO MORE Application installation requests! :-)))

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation