Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

2016-02-07 Email Service Interruption

Official Employee

2016-02-07 Email Service Interruption

Folks,

We did have a service interuption on 2/7. Service was quickly restored after a hardware issue was identified. At this time service should be restored for all of our customers.

That said, we are hearing a few mentions of customers that may be missing some of their emails, but are able to send/receive now. We are looking into the issue and hope to have a communication soon.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: 2016-02-07 Email Service Interruption

I continue to be unable to send Email.

I can recieve email and browse

New Poster

I haven't been able to get to my email for 2 days, and as of a minute ago I still can't.  I'm in Springfield, OR..Anyone else having problems?

Official Employee

selrcaldwell wrote:

I continue to be unable to send Email.

I can recieve email and browse

The outage we experienced would have prevented you from even logging in, so this is not likely to be related.  You may want to call 800-Comcast to have someone check your account settings.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I cannont open my e-mail for last two days.

Tyngsboro Ma

New Poster

yes, I live in Eugene

Valued Contributor

Well, in my situation, yesterday I was able to log in and do anything I needed to do BUT access my email. It wasn't a matter of being able to send or receive, I couldn't access it PERIOD. I tried using both IE and Firefox, neither worked. Now, as of this morning, I can access and use email like before on IE, but on Firefox all I get when trying to access mail is "undefined" on the tab and those wonderful spinning dots. (I'm on the south coast of Washington State btw) If anyone knows why Firefox isn't allowing access to my email now I'd appreciate some info! (thanks in advance) EDIT: Not sure what you're talking about because I was able to log in just fine. It was accessing the email that was the problem. I could do everything I was able to do before BUT get to my email....
Frequent Visitor

I am able to send and receive email after the disruption, however, all my old emails and email folders I had prior to the disruption are no longer there.  I contacted support via on-line chat and was told that the issues are still not completely resolved.  Will I ever be able to get those emails back?  We live in the willamette valley in Oregon and my husband had no problems with his email account.

New Poster

I am able to log in to my comcast account but not into my email account. It has been two days. It isn't a matter of being able to send or receive, I can't access it PERIOD. I tried using both IE and Firefox, neither worked. With Firefox all I get when trying to access mail is "undefined" on the tab and those wonderful spinning dots. (I'm located in Clinton, MA). The problem has not been resolved!!!

New Poster

At this point, new emails will come in, but I still can not access older emails from desktop. Phone app can see the old emails but can't open, forward, etc them at all. I know several other people are still having this issue.

Any idea when we'll have access to the older emails? I really need access to these.

Regular Visitor

I can send and receive e-mails, however, all my e-mails prior to the interruption are gone and all my folders are gone as well. I really need to have all of these restored, when will this be fixed?  My husband's e-mails and folders have not be affected.

Frequent Visitor

Um... yeah you didnt fix the problem with my wifes email and I'm sure shes not the only one. Its been 2 daysand she still can't log into her account. Please get it together over there

New Poster

Since the service interruption, all previously read Comcast emails have disappeared from my iphone and ipad!  No settings were changed - only Comcast service issue.

Frequent Visitor

Jordan:

Gee, Thanks!  A little late, but finally someone reads our concerns.  I guess the defining of what "quickly" means by fixing the issue of no email?  It took many, many hours to find out what was wrong for some reason?  Maybe you need better techs and ones who are 24/7 to quickly identify when a Nation-wide outage occurs?  Comcast is large enough to keep things going and not act like an independent supplier of internet services.  We all pay enough to expect the best don't you think?  Glad we were not all on a Comcast Airplane or the issue why the engines quit would be found after we crashed.

New Poster

I too was unable to access my email at all on 2-7-16 and when service was restored on the morning of the 8th, all previous emails in my inbox and sent folders are all gone, as are all of my different folders and the emails in them.  I can see inbox emails on my phone, but unable to forward them.  I called customer service and they were unaware of the problems on the 7th and had no idea why my emails are all gone or that this was an issue for anyone else but me.  They could not help me restore my emails.  I hope Comcast will advise of a fix soon.

Regular Visitor

I am in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.  I can still not receive emails on two of my email addresses into Outlook.  I can receive email on the primary.  I am on Outlook 2007.

Frequent Visitor

I still cannot send or receive email from either my computer or my phone.

Frequent Visitor

Do we get a refund for being unable to receive or send emails?

Frequent Visitor

An update on the status of complete restoration of all emails would be common courtesy (especially at the price we pay for Comcast service!)....

New Poster

I can send and receive emails. However, all my personal folders and the emails I had saved in them are gone.  Any update on when this is going to be fixed?

New Poster

That is exactly the problem I am having:

I can download email but I am unable to send email using the smtp.comcast.net server.

This is true on my computer and iphone,  Problem started a week or so ago.

Using Macs and iPhones.  NOTHING on those has changed.

Regular Visitor

I am able to log in to my comcast account but not into my email account. It has been two days. It isn't a matter of being able to send or receive, I can't access it PERIOD. all I get when trying to access mail is "undefined" on the tab and those wonderful spinning dots. (I'm located in Renton, WA). The problem has not been resolved!!!

New Poster

thank you for the up date

Regular Visitor

I also am missing all emails/folders prior to the interruption. I was told to contact (888) 565-4329 (the security line for comcast) but am unable to do so internationally.

Hopefully there'll be an update soon on whether these missing emails can be recovered.....

Official Employee

PhilHagen wrote:

I haven't been able to get to my email for 2 days, and as of a minute ago I still can't.  I'm in Springfield, OR..Anyone else having problems?

Phil,

Has this issue resolved itself?  If not, what error are you seeing when you try to log in?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

tommygun1 wrote:

I cannont open my e-mail for last two days.

Tyngsboro Ma

What error are you seeing when you try to log in?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

ngs4509 wrote:
Well, in my situation, yesterday I was able to log in and do anything I needed to do BUT access my email. It wasn't a matter of being able to send or receive, I couldn't access it PERIOD. I tried using both IE and Firefox, neither worked. Now, as of this morning, I can access and use email like before on IE, but on Firefox all I get when trying to access mail is "undefined" on the tab and those wonderful spinning dots. (I'm on the south coast of Washington State btw) If anyone knows why Firefox isn't allowing access to my email now I'd appreciate some info! (thanks in advance) EDIT: Not sure what you're talking about because I was able to log in just fine. It was accessing the email that was the problem. I could do everything I was able to do before BUT get to my email....

Have you tried clearing your Internet History in Firefox?  If it's working in one browser over the other, it's likely it's just an minor hiccup with your one browser.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Anon463824 wrote:

I am able to log in to my comcast account but not into my email account. It has been two days. It isn't a matter of being able to send or receive, I can't access it PERIOD. I tried using both IE and Firefox, neither worked. With Firefox all I get when trying to access mail is "undefined" on the tab and those wonderful spinning dots. (I'm located in Clinton, MA). The problem has not been resolved!!!

What error do you see when you log in and click the Email button?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Blastedman wrote:

Um... yeah you didnt fix the problem with my wifes email and I'm sure shes not the only one. Its been 2 daysand she still can't log into her account. Please get it together over there

Is there an error you see when you try to log in?  Any information is helpful.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

JeffM_sf wrote:

I still cannot send or receive email from either my computer or my phone.

Are you able to log into webmail and send/receive?  Trying would help us understand if this is an authentication issue, configuration issue, or something else.

Thanks.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I am in New Zealand on business and have been unable to access email since the interruption. It was fine in Dallas before the interruption.

Regular Visitor

It's 1:36 pm 2/9/2016 in Spokane and I still can not send/receive.  Message I get says reenter user/password and keeps coming back not good reenter again.

Frequent Visitor

There is no error and I can log in to all other services. The service interruption page is still coming up occassionally. The access starts fine and then the url changed to undefined and the spinning dots continue.

Valued Contributor

Well, I don't know if this will help anyone using Firefox. But I cleared my browsing history, cache, etc. again today and sure enough, I can get my email now using Firefox. I was having to go to IE. Why it didn't work the first time I don't know, but it did this time! If you still can't access email using Firefox, try clearing your history...even if you've tried it already. Don't know if it will help but it did for me....FINALLY. Good Luck! (seriously)
Frequent Visitor

I still do not have any of my old email folders or emails prior to the 2/7/16 service interruption.  My home computer is a Windows 8 operating system.  I have tried it here at my workplace on a Windows 7 operating system (all using Chrome as my internet browser).  My husband who uses a laptop with Windows Vista and accesses his email via his Iphone has had no issues.  

I do not access my email from my Iphone or my Ipad.  I did an online chat with someone named MaAngela (I think I spelled that correctly) and was told my emails and folders would be recoverable.  

I have (or rather now, had) some very important emails saved in my folders.  Would really like to know when this will be fixed!   I've been trying to talk my husband to switching to local company for internet/email...may have to push the matter with that now Smiley Sad

Regular Visitor

Well over 2 days now, and previous emails and folders still have not been restored.  Any idea what's going on?  No back up or cloud storage to prevent this problem?  And why only some accounts affected?  I would like this to be fixed.  It should not take this long.  Bad enough that the new wireless modem they sent me only provides sporadic internet connection, but Comcast just raised my monthly rate, and now this??  Unacceptable, period.

Frequent Visitor

when i try to log in on the xfinity website it says user name and password dont match and outlook tells me that my login was rejected by the server and to check my user name and password for errors. I went so far as to try to set up a new account and got the same message

Regular Visitor

I'm also missing email and sub folders on one of my accounts. I asked for a restore 3 times, after a long chat session was told to call security 888-565-4329. logged in with my master account and changed passwords. Too fed up to call them tonight.

Regular Visitor

Missing all emails and folders before interruption, What is Comcast going to do about this? You do have backups of email server? If not why? If Comcast can't fix this, is Comcast going to compensate Us for ower loss?

New Poster

Have not been able tp access E-mail for 3 days now. Fix it please.

Regular Visitor

I just called 888-565-4329 and spoke with a Comcast agent and he advised me Comcast/Xfinity is well aware of ALL the issues everyone is having and their Engineers our working deligently to resolves everyone's issues.  He understands everyone is very frustrated and upset, he said everything should be restored to everyone's e-mails, folders, etc., however, he did not know when it was going to be resolved, but it will be resolved and for everyone to please be patient.  Whether or not he said all this to "appease" me, I'm not sure, but actions speak louder than words, so I will give them a few more days to get this issue resolved and if it is not, then I will begin "climbing the corporate ladder" and get to the top to find out more of what is going on.  Then if I have to go to the media to have this publicly out there on TV and in the newspapers, I will.......

Official Employee

Blastedman wrote:

when i try to log in on the xfinity website it says user name and password dont match and outlook tells me that my login was rejected by the server and to check my user name and password for errors. I went so far as to try to set up a new account and got the same message

That does sound like your password may have been changed, which would be unrelated to this service interruption.  Please call 800-Comcast and they should be able to help you regain access to your account.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

barrylduncan wrote:

There is no error and I can log in to all other services. The service interruption page is still coming up occassionally. The access starts fine and then the url changed to undefined and the spinning dots continue.

That sounds a lot like the browser is caching a bad cookie.  Can you clear your Internet History or try another web browser?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

I just called 888-565-4329 and spoke with a Comcast agent and he advised me Comcast/Xfinity is well aware of ALL the issues everyone is having and their Engineers our working deligently to resolves everyone's issues.  He understands everyone is very frustrated and upset, he said everything should be restored to everyone's e-mails, folders, etc., however, he did not know when it was going to be resolved, but it will be resolved and for everyone to please be patient. 

Thanks for the update!
Frequent Visitor

Wow, you know that is not what this is. I have tried in Safari and Chrome. Same result (all internet aspects available except email; url changes to undefined and the spinning dots indefinitely). Now the service interruption page is back up. Why don't you acknowlege the problem rather than making ridiculous suggestions?

Regular Visitor

Actually, it is a very reasonable suggestion. You hadn't bothered to mention you had tried multiple browsers in your last post and what you describe is a very common result of browser caching. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your opinion. GIven the context of the still ongoing issue and everyone's description of the same problem, it was quite ridiculous.    Perhaps you would feel differently if you were without email for 3 days and trying to run a business.

Official Employee

barrylduncan wrote:

Wow, you know that is not what this is. I have tried in Safari and Chrome. Same result (all internet aspects available except email; url changes to undefined and the spinning dots indefinitely). Now the service interruption page is back up. Why don't you acknowlege the problem rather than making ridiculous suggestions?

It's a very realistic suggestion given that we have no service interruption right now.  The fact that you're seeing our service interruption page further suggests this is a computer or browser issue as the page is not currently active.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I have not been able to access my email on IE for about two weeks.  After I sign-in I see the email icon (letter envelope in upper right hand top) and when I click on it I get the spinning blue dots with undefined on the tab.

I can however log in via google chrome and get, read, send email.  I can also do this on my work computer on IE which is on the same network on my house as my home computer.  I have contacted comcast twice on this and get the same run around.

Since day one I have been able to get my comcast email on IE on my home computer.

What gives Comcast?  Fix it.

New Poster

i still do not have my email service available. I receive emails as the amt keeps going up but I cant get in to read or respond to them.  do not send me a email when you fix it but call instewd.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community