Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

2003 Outlook can send but not receive

New Poster

2003 Outlook can send but not receive

Besides my son's Win 8 Laptop and my Win7 desktop we know of another user who can no longer receive Comcast email using Outlook 2003 and POP3. My son spent over an hour with Comcast Techie only to fall back to using IMAP which is not the greatest solution.

By the way, Comcast has a history of this problem occuring every so often. Google it.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: 2003 Outlook can send but not receive

Please post the complete Outlook error message you get when you try to receive. Be sure to remove any personal information. If the message contains an email address, remove the userID portion but leave the rest. For example, edit "bobsmith@example.net" so it reads "********@example.net".

New Poster

We worked with a Comcast Tech who switched us over to using IMAP. While this works it does impose the need to move mail around to place it in the established Outlook folders. This should not be needed as Outlook was working per Comcast's configuration for over a year.

The error code we get is:

Task 'mail.comcast.net - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'

Based on the forum this has periodically occured many times previously.

Gold Problem Solver

New Poster

Thanks BruceW but your fix is just another patch like the IMAP patch. It is a shame that Comcast does not have the IT talent needed to keep this reoccuring problem from happening. As an ex-IT Manager, we let employees go for reoccuring problems like this. Ask yourself if this was your business would you tolerate such reoccurences of the same problem year after year?

Gold Problem Solver

leadsled wrote: ... your fix is just another patch like the IMAP patch. ...

What I suggested isn't a "fix", it's a workaround. And IMAP isn't a "patch", it's an email protocol.

Fun though it is to beat up on Comcast for their many, many deficiencies, I think the villain in this case is that other greedy and not always competent company, Microsoft. Their support for IPv6 is flawed in Outlook 2003, but they won't fix it because they want the money users spend to buy a newer version of the program.

What would you have Comcast do? They can't fix Outlook because it's not their product. They only thing they could do to work around the problem is to turn off IPv6, which doesn't strike me as a good idea since we're running out of IPv4 addresses.

Unfortunately, as users upgrade modems and systems, those with Outlook 2003 are going to see the IPv6 flaws in the product exposed. Your choices are to turn IPv6 off yourself (fine for now), configure Outlook with the IP address of the mail server instead of the host name, or pay Microsoft the ransom it wants for a version of the program that doesn't have this particular bug.

The other option is to switch to a different email program. There are good ones that are free.

It would be nice if Comcast's reps knew the workarounds for bugs in 3rd party software, but I really don't expect them to.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation