Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

tel 1 light blinks but no phone service

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 5

My sister came to my house and said she had been calling me repeatedly but the calls all were forwarded to a voicemail service (which I have never used). My phone had not rung all day. She stood next to my phone and called my number from her cell phone and sure enough it failed to ring and the call was forwarded. While I was trying to figure out how to disable the call forwarding I lost the dial tone and now I have no service at all. I checked the troubleshooter and there is no record of an outage. HELP!!

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 5

LaineyP wrote:

My sister came to my house and said she had been calling me repeatedly but the calls all were forwarded to a voicemail service (which I have never used). My phone had not rung all day. She stood next to my phone and called my number from her cell phone and sure enough it failed to ring and the call was forwarded. While I was trying to figure out how to disable the call forwarding I lost the dial tone and now I have no service at all. I checked the troubleshooter and there is no record of an outage. HELP!!

As a first step, reboot your gateway/modem following the instructions in this link:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/power-cycling-your-modem/

If this fails to restore your service, call into Comcast at 1-800-266-2278 or 1-800-934-6489 and speak with a CSR.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 5

Hi,  Power cycled the modem and the phone still didn't work. Then I plugged in my old corded phone directly into the modem and I did get a dial tone so I moved the cordless phone to the bedroom and plugged it into the modem. Success!! I have inbound and outbound calls again Now I just need to move the answering machine next to it and hook it up. Now I need an adapter for the tel1 port so I can have a socket to attach the answering machine, correct?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 4 of 5

LaineyP wrote:

Hi,  Power cycled the modem and the phone still didn't work. Then I plugged in my old corded phone directly into the modem and I did get a dial tone so I moved the cordless phone to the bedroom and plugged it into the modem. Success!! I have inbound and outbound calls again Now I just need to move the answering machine next to it and hook it up. Now I need an adapter for the tel1 port so I can have a socket to attach the answering machine, correct?

In most cases, you would connect MODEM to ANS MACHINE to PHONE in order for the ANS MACHINE to answer the call if you do not pick up the phone.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 5

Hello LaineyP, it sounds like geek46 was able to help out and you were able to get this sorted out. Please me know if there is anything I can do for you! Smiley Happy

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.