Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

someone is using my Comcast landline to spam other people

New Poster

someone is using my Comcast landline to spam other people

I just received a call from a woman who said she just received a phone call from my home phone number.  Her caller ID showed my name and home phone number, and they were trying to sell her medical equipment.  How can I or Comcast prevent some obnoxious company from stealing my home phone and spamming other people?

New Poster

Re: someone is using my Comcast landline to spam other people

This is happening to me as well.  I have been getting dozens of calls today from random people who say I called them, when I did not.  Looks like someone is spoofing their caller-id with my phone number.  If this keeps happening, I will have to cancel my landline and hope this does not happen to my cell number.

Frequent Visitor

Re: someone is using my Comcast landline to spam other people

Spoofing your #, which is using your phone number to falsely identify the caller on caller ID, has nothing to do with your service. Unscrupulous people use software to input false phone #s, basically, to trick the receivers of the calls into picking up. They will take a block of numbers and input them into these spoofing programs, or they will use a randomizing program to generate #s that are working phone #s. A lot of times these are cell phone numbers. Other times, they will find a real working number, and then just try using the numbers in the series/sequence, i.e 202-455-2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and so on. You could try changing your number to a more obscure one, but some fool will likely happen upon it eventually. Sometimes, changing to one of the older exchanges might help, because the spoofers are likely using more newly issued #s. But, it has nothing to do with you, your service provider, or your service. It only has to do with the # the spoofer has found that works and then fallls into the series of numbers in the block of working #s. The only thing YOU can do, is tell people that your phone # was spoofed, and you did not make the call to them. If you are able to determine the name of the company that is using your phone number, you can try calling them yourself, and complain or threaten to sue them or threaten to start charging them for each incident. I am not sure, but you may also report them to the BBB or to any regulating agency.

Forum Changes:
Open Wifi Hotspots Northeast Division... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation