Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

phone service without a telephony modem

Frequent Visitor

phone service without a telephony modem

is there a way to either slave a telephony modem to a new 3.1 non-telephony modem or connect an phone adapter to the modem or router in order to use my phone service that's part of my Triple Play? I just purchased a 3.1 modem, because I have had consistent problems with inconsistent connection to Internet service, and it seems Comcast does not yet support a 3.1 modem with telephony.  For the last 2.5 yrs, I've had all kinds of techs here trying to fix the intermittent service, and today was more of the same. My Internet cuts in and out all day and all night. For example, at 9:58, I had no service, at 10:00 I had connection; at 10:02, no Internet, at 10:04, I had Internet. I came back just before 11:00 p.m., same thing, I had Internet, then I didn't, then I did, then I didn't, then I did, then I didn't. In doing some research, I had read reviews from a number of people who had purchased the Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1, who said they had eliminated their connection problems with this modem and, it was FAST, lightning fast. So, I purchased the modem. However, when I did a search for 3.1 telephony modem supported by Comcast, the MB8600 popped up, and I didn't realize it didn't have telephony. Now, I can't use my analog phone service that is part of my Triple Play package. So, I thought that perhaps I could either slave my old telephony modem or a telephone adapter to either the modem or the router and take advantage of the 3.1. Is that possible? I also have a Grandstream phone adapter, and an Obihai 202, in addition to 2 older telephony modems that, I think, are DOCSIS 2. Please help. I need to have a relatively stable landine, but don't want to pay for Century Link's expensive service. I'm a disabled retiree & I have a 90 y.o. parent in my home and need an affordable and consistent phone service in case of emergencies. I also need consistent Internet service, as my solar system is monitored via Internet, and my security system is also Internet linked. Thanks in advance.

Forum Changes:
Open Wifi Hotspots Northeast Division... See More
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation