Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

cables

Regular Contributor

cables

I have a gateway which has two ports for phone plugs at the top .  There is a tan phone connector at this top which plugs in to one of these ports of the gateway and the other gateway port is empty.  

One phone line runs from this tan davice to the wall and the other too a splitter. This splitter sends one line  to the printer/ fax and the other line to a phone recorder.

Why can't the two phone ports be used instead of this connector?

What is this connector at the top called and what purpose does it serve? 

I woud have plugged one wire to the fax/printer from one of the ports and the other to the splitter for the wall and also the recorder eliminating the tan device.

Is it because the wall line has to be involved in the setup hat two seperate  cables cannot be used and the tan  device has to be used?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: cables

Each port on the back of the gateway is for a seperate line/number. Sounds like everything is connected to the one line/number.. Not sure what the "Tan device" is.

Usually, the line from the gateway to the wall jack will backfeed the signal to all the phone jacks in the house. You can put a splitter at the back of the gateway or at the wall jack..

Regular Contributor

I remember the installer using the word backfeed in simple terms what does that mean and is it necessary or is it an alternative way of setting it up
Official Employee

Backfeeding is a phone line going from the modem to a phone jack, making the other phone jacks in the house live. As long as they’re tied in properly to the wall jack that the phone line is attached to

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

You don't have to backfeed to all the phone jacks, eg; If you have a cordless phone set, you could simply connect the base station to the line1/tel 1 jack on the back of the gateway then plug the other handsets in, as required around the house.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation