Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

XB6 technicolor gateway Backup battery availability?

Highlighted
New Poster

XB6 technicolor gateway Backup battery availability?

Received my XB6 Technicolor Gateway yesterday.  I was told at the comcast service center where I picked it up to go to support chat and have them order me the backup battery for it since I have Phone service.  Spent the last 15 or so minutes chatting, and was told that Xfinity does not have backup batteries for those gateways... 

If that is the case, why provide that gateway, since federal regulations require a provider to supply a battery for Phone backup in case of power outages?

I have the Technicolor CGM4140COM XB6

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: XB6 technicolor gateway Backup battery availability?

Hi 52ft24dave -

I'm sorry you received some misinformation.  You received a great device - and we do offer backup batteries for our XB6 Gateway.  They're a little different from traditional Gateway backup batteries in that they are external.  You will plug the battery into a power outlet, and then the Gateway's power cord plugs in to the battery.  

If you are interested in purchasing, you can order exclusively through our Battery Hotline: 1-888-972-1261.  To ensure that the agent you speak with orders the correct battery, you can reference the model number, which is XBB1-A.  They should also quote the current price point of $70.00 plus tax.  A $5.95 shipping fee will also apply.

I have one of these batteries, and it is very nice! 

All Replies
Official Employee

Hi 52ft24dave -

I'm sorry you received some misinformation.  You received a great device - and we do offer backup batteries for our XB6 Gateway.  They're a little different from traditional Gateway backup batteries in that they are external.  You will plug the battery into a power outlet, and then the Gateway's power cord plugs in to the battery.  

If you are interested in purchasing, you can order exclusively through our Battery Hotline: 1-888-972-1261.  To ensure that the agent you speak with orders the correct battery, you can reference the model number, which is XBB1-A.  They should also quote the current price point of $70.00 plus tax.  A $5.95 shipping fee will also apply.

I have one of these batteries, and it is very nice! 

New Poster

I will give them a call.

thanks

Problem Solver

ComcastBecker -

Can you tell me if the external backup battery just keeps the phone working, or if it would keep you connected to the Interent as well ???   

Thank you.

-Alan

Official Employee

It will only power the phone service.
Problem Solver

That's what I figured. In that case I think it would be wise to just use my cell phone during the power outage and save 70 bucks.  

Thanks for your reply!

-Alan

Problem Solver

I suggest getting an actual Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). Not only will it keep the phone running, but also the internet and home security (if enabled) on the gateway, and provides clean power to prevent damaging sags and spikes. 

You can get one for as little as $25 as of this moment. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Problem Solver

Thanks, darkangelic,

That's exactly what I did.  You'd have to be nuts to pay that much for a battery for just the phone service.  AND also, when Comcast upgrades you to a new modem or gateway, the old battery NEVER fits the new model, so you've got to buy a new one.  With the UPS, you're covered   Smiley Happy