New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Wall Jack Issues

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Wall Jack Issues

We've just had our Comcast voice added to our bundle. The voice feature went live yesterday.  The modem is a Technicolor TC8305c.

We have a mix of corded and wireless phones and for reasons not important we want to keep those corded phones. We also have a fax function in our printer.  When I ordered our Comcast Voice I asked the agent how I would activate all of our existing corded telephones.  The agent told me to run a telephone cord between Tel 1 on the back of the modem to any existing wall jack and that would energize all of the jacks throughout the house.  I did that but it doesn't work. 

When I pick up the handset of a standard touch tone corded phone plugged into any wall jack in the house I get a off-hook busy signal and the wireless base station phone which is connected to the back of the modem shows LINE IN USE on the screen even though no calls are being made or received and no handsets are off hook. The only way to release the line is to disconnect the phone line from the wall jack.  Plugging that same touch tone phone into the back of the modem causes the phone to operate normally.  And this doesn't address the need to energize the wireless base station telephone.

Here is what I have done to get everything connected:

I have a 6-port RJ11expansion/adapter like this one: 

images2V9H5ICZ.jpg 

This was used back in the day to share a single phone jack with multiple corded devices.  I have the expansion/adapter plugged into the Tel 1 port on the modem.  The wireless base station and the fax are plugged into the expansion adapter.  The base station, fax and all remote wireless handsets work fine.  No issues. 

But when I run a phone line between an open port on the expansion/adapter and the wall jack next to the modem the same problem described above happens...the corded phone will not work properly in any of the phone jacks around the house.

I have a service tech coming to the house next week but in the meantime what do you think? Any suggestions? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Wall Jack Issues

rk911 wrote:

We've just had our Comcast voice added to our bundle. The voice feature went live yesterday.  The modem is a Technicolor TC8305c.

We have a mix of corded and wireless phones and for reasons not important we want to keep those corded phones. We also have a fax function in our printer.  When I ordered our Comcast Voice I asked the agent how I would activate all of our existing corded telephones.  The agent told me to run a telephone cord between Tel 1 on the back of the modem to any existing wall jack and that would energize all of the jacks throughout the house.  I did that but it doesn't work. 

When I pick up the handset of a standard touch tone corded phone plugged into any wall jack in the house I get a off-hook busy signal and the wireless base station phone which is connected to the back of the modem shows LINE IN USE on the screen even though no calls are being made or received and no handsets are off hook. The only way to release the line is to disconnect the phone line from the wall jack.  Plugging that same touch tone phone into the back of the modem causes the phone to operate normally.  And this doesn't address the need to energize the wireless base station telephone.

images2V9H5ICZ.jpg 

This was used back in the day to share a single phone jack with multiple corded devices.  I have the expansion/adapter plugged into the Tel 1 port on the modem.  The wireless base station and the fax are plugged into the expansion adapter.  The base station, fax and all remote wireless handsets work fine.  No issues. 

But when I run a phone line between an open port on the expansion/adapter and the wall jack next to the modem the same problem described above happens...the corded phone will not work properly in any of the phone jacks around the house.

I have a service tech coming to the house next week but in the meantime what do you think? Any suggestions? 

If you are comfortable in doing so, you will need to begin opening the wall-jacks and looking at the wiring ( color coding on each terminal ) and 1.  ensure they are the same, and 2. find out where ALL of them are being fed from.  If it is from the DMARC outside, ensure that the prior service wiring has been disconnected and that all wires are terminated into a single feed.  This can cause the issues you are reporting.

View answer in context
Service Expert

rk911 wrote:

images2V9H5ICZ.jpg 

If you are comfortable in doing so, you will need to begin opening the wall-jacks and looking at the wiring ( color coding on each terminal ) and 1.  ensure they are the same, and 2. find out where ALL of them are being fed from.  If it is from the DMARC outside, ensure that the prior service wiring has been disconnected and that all wires are terminated into a single feed.  This can cause the issues you are reporting.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

duh. i should've realized that. AT&T doesn't do physical disconnects anymore. Once the telco line was disconnected from the house all of the wall jacks were energized. Thanks for the suggestion.