Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Two modems? Will this work

Frequent Visitor

Two modems? Will this work

By no means am I a tech expert but have a little experience. I am looking in to getting a new modem to combat renting one and slow wifi. But the cheapest new modem that supports voice and 150 mgbs internet is 130 dollars! The same modem but without voice is 80 dollars less! How?. Anyways i would like to know if i got an old TG862G or TG862R for the voice and got a seperate modem just for the internet could it work?. Would i need a coax splitter or more cables?
Service Expert

Re: Two modems? Will this work

@Sanibola wrote:
By no means am I a tech expert but have a little experience. I am looking in to getting a new modem to combat renting one and slow wifi. But the cheapest new modem that supports voice and 150 mgbs internet is 130 dollars! The same modem but without voice is 80 dollars less! How?. Anyways i would like to know if i got an old TG862G or TG862R for the voice and got a seperate modem just for the internet could it work?. Would i need a coax splitter or more cables?

Using 2 modems depends on your local provider.  Some allow this and some do not.  Your best bet is to goto your local Service Center and speak with a representative to discuss your options.....  

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

If I understand your question properly, the short answer is: "yes, but:"

Keep in mind the black box you rent from Comcast has at least  two devices in it and serves multiple functions (this assumes a triple play service).

a cable modem to handle the incoming signal  and a router to distribute that signal to your devices  (including broadcasting the WiFi signal).

(this is a simplified explanation to keep it short)

Yes, You can replace this residential gateway with your own equipment so you do not have to pay Comcast a rental fee

but:

1) you have to make sure the device you use is compatible with Comcast service

for example you mention a TG862G . The amazon listing for this device says:

"Arris Touchstone DOCSIS 3.0 Residential Gateway Wi-Fi 802.11n 4 Port Router, and 2 Voice Lines TG862G

Not Compatible with VoIP (telephony) Service with Comcast in Most Locations"

2)  Having non-Comcast equipment opens you up to additional issues with Comcast if you have problems wit your service.

They will blame your equipment instead of fixing theirs.  if you do not have  Comcast problems then you would be fine.

but around here we have lots of Comcast problems (poor signal strength mostly)

and it is much easier to get Comcast to address these issues if you are using their equipment.

3)  by renting the device from Comcast, if it breaks, they replace it, no problem.

Ya, it kinda bites to pay a rental fee, esp. since you fairly quickly pay more that the actual cost of the device

but it makes things easier.

Frequent Visitor

Well what do i risk for trying? Its not like im going to destroy and of the products and i can easily return them. The reward out weighs the risk. I just want to avoid paying 130 bucks for a average modem. Do you recomend anything for me to do that makes me get a new modem but not a 130 dollar one.
Contributor

I had two modems on my account for several years. One modem (rented) for voice and my customer owned modem for data. Never had an issue.

I have since replaced the rented Comcast voice modem for a Netgear CM500V which now functions for voice and data. Cost was $130.00. With the current rental fee of $11.00 the modem is paid for within a year. Even if I have to buy a new modem every two years I am still money ahead.

Comcast support for customer owned equipment is OK. But if Comcast says the problem is your modem then you have an issue. Best way to solve is to take your modem to another customer close to your house and connect. If the modem works then the problem is Comcast. If the modem does not work the problem is within your modem.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation