I have been a comcast customer for years and have decided to stop renting the wireless gateway but not sure which is the best to go with.. I have triple play and not super savey about all this technology about modems, routers etc... I just want one pc of equipement so my tv and wireless internet and phone work... I am a senior so I need something not to expensive and not to hard to install..... Any help will be greatfully appreciated... Someone suggested the Docsis 3.0 surfboard #6121 or 41 but I am not sure if it is wireless and phone ready... I do not use the phone and do not have it plug in now but it was part of a good package so I took it... And was told if I drop it that would change package discount so I kept it... So I guess i need the triple play type modem or they will raise my bill....
From that point, it should be as simple as finding your current Xfinity Gateway, disconnecting all the existing cables and leads, and move them to your new, purchased, retail TG862 (best bet is to set the new Gateway right next to the old one, and "move" one wire at a time, like for like positions).
You will be without Internet and Home Phone for a few minutes after moving from the Rented Gateway to the new one, as the new Gateway will need activated. You can either call Comcast/Xfinity Customer Service from a different phone line (such as a Cell phone or a neighbor's line) to activate, or you can use the Registration site from a Computer to activate the new modem
I bought the Tg862g and the phone part worked then stopped after 4 days. Also I had a discussion with a Comcast rep who been working with them for over 15 yrs about saving some money, I asked her for a model that would be compatible with OpenDns, She told me to get a Tg862G that I can buy them online and save the monthly fee. Nothing was said about which retailor I should buy it from or that it can not be a refurbished model.
Long story short I've done some research and it looks like comcast doest not allow used equipment or refurbished as it may have belonged to a previous customer who sold it or it belonged to a different cable company. I know now it causes problems trying to provision it if the old information is still in the system.
After hours with Customer service they never mentioned this at all. Never Never and Neve!!. This would of saved me allot of agraivation as I would just reinstall the old modem/router I have not returned my old box yet so, I am going back to it.
I talked with at least 15 different reps and spend hours and they are still trying to get the Tg826g to work, and I am coming up on another service call today.
1) I should of been told specifically what equipment I should buy and what not to buy.
2) They should of told be right off if the equipement was going to be problematic instead of leading me on! I would not of wasted my time.
3) They got it to work and then they disconnected it again, nothing wrong the box. WHY
4) Now I am just gonna tell them to put the rented one back.
5) Comcast should know I am a triple play customer, the box is fine for internet, not phone as it must be registered somewhere else.
6) I had a Tech in the house and explained everything to him, how I spend hours with support, where I bought the box, and he was able to get it to work, I thought that was the end.