members

online now

discussions

Port Issue due to Rate Center

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 4

So after going with Triple Play after being sold that my landline business line can be ported with no issue - guess what, issue.  Now after getting all set up, find out that i cant port due to different rate center.  When I got triple play, they flat out lied to me.  Does anyone have any experience in solving this issue.  I need to keep my landline business number but move it over to comcast (or at this point) something else.  thanks

3 REPLIES
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2 of 4

Is the Business Landline the current Landline number for the business's location? And is it a Local Exchange/number? Or is it a "foreign exchange" number? (Exchange being the "BBB" of AAA-BBB-CCCC phone number)

www.localcallingguide.com is a good reference for what Rate Center/Exchange/Wire Center a Telephone number is in. If it is your geographic and Local Exchange/Wire Center/Rate Center, it will port to a facilities-based carrier like Comcast or your local ILEC. If it is not, then you can stay with the Landline to keep the number (your local CO must support Foreign Exchange in the CO Switch), or you can port it to other carriers which are not Facilities based, such as Cellular or 3rd Party VoIP options

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 4

This is a little late, but I just wanted to let you know that being in a different Rate Center is NOT an acceptable reason to refuse a port according to the FCC. This also happened to me, and I filed a complaint with the FCC. However, all they did was ask Xfinity if they could port it, Xfinity said no, and the case was closed. The system is broken.

FCC Consumer Guide for Porting Numbers

Posted by
Contributor

Message 4 of 4

You realize that linked pdf from the FCC says that geographic area restrictions exist -- a Rate Center/Telephone Exchange is a defined Geographic area, and has been since the Rate Center concept was developed. Rate Center maps have not changed (much) anyway for decades, and they are defined geographic areas

No where on the FCC's site (that I've found) does it say Rate Center is not acceptable -- but feel free to enlighten us