Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Phone service

Frequent Visitor

Phone service

I realize that I'm not a geek wizard so please forgive me for being dense, but I don't quite understand what has to be done for me to add telephone services to my Comcast "system".  I have the internet and cable service at this time,but tech support doesn't really answer my questions concerning the set up.  Here are my questions:  I live in a single family home that was built in 1975.  All the phone jacks are original.  I have four locations throughout the house and basement.  What wiring is needed and what equipment (other than a new modem) is needed?  I want to keep these four locations available so do they have to be rewired?  If so, does Comcast perform this service?  The phone lines come into the house from a box located on the outside basement wall...does this need to be removed?  Basically, how is all this setup and what is the cost?

Service Expert

Re: Phone service

Par4 wrote:

I realize that I'm not a geek wizard so please forgive me for being dense, but I don't quite understand what has to be done for me to add telephone services to my Comcast "system".  I have the internet and cable service at this time,but tech support doesn't really answer my questions concerning the set up.  Here are my questions:  I live in a single family home that was built in 1975.  All the phone jacks are original.  I have four locations throughout the house and basement.  What wiring is needed and what equipment (other than a new modem) is needed?  I want to keep these four locations available so do they have to be rewired?  If so, does Comcast perform this service?  The phone lines come into the house from a box located on the outside basement wall...does this need to be removed?  Basically, how is all this setup and what is the cost?

VOIP Phone Service requires an EMTA device ( modem/gateway )....  if you only have an Internet modem at this time you will need to upgrade your equipment.

If all of your phone lines inside the house are connected together, you will only need to back-feed one of your phone jacks and the rest will be live.  You WILL need to unplug the previous service provider's incoming line inside the DMARC to prevent issues on your inside wiring.

If you are comfortable in wiring issues you can do this yourself.  If not, you may need to hire a low voltage contractor/electrician to check and wire your phones to get them working.  Comcast does not wire inside phone lines.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation