Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Phone & Modem issue...

Contributor

Phone & Modem issue...

Comcast snipped my landline and installed a VERY expensive wifi modem (1682) in the middle of my living room and removed my phone from my bedroom plugging it in to the modem in my living room.

They killed all of my phone outlets and only the modem delivers power to the phone...when it's working, that is. No battery backup installed and thus NO EMERGENCY phone service.

Comcast won't put landline back. I don't want a phone and modem in my living room and want to purchase modem...not rent. No way on EARTH am I paying $300 for a Comcast friendly modem I to sit in my living room with a a phone and answering machine sticking out of it.

I didn't know Comcast doesn't provide normal phone service or that they had authorization to remove landlines.

This is becoming a huge issue and no one at Comcast seems to know what to do.

Can someone please assist me?

Thank you!
Contributor

So, Comcast illegally snipped my landline...

Hi!

Need technical advice!

Dramatic headline but it's true and I'm not going to dumb down the truth anymore to protect my pride ... I admit I got taken for a ride for years by Comcast but now I'm picking up the pieces. Live and learn. ;-)

I griped to Comcast since the week after installation when there was an emergency down the street and their Arris TG1852 "all in one" modem was down that I found out they cut my landline and I had NO WAY to communicate an emergency. Fortunately others were had reliable service providers and proper landlines so could call out. That was over a year ago. I bothered Comcast about it for some months until I got tired of calling customer service AND their executive offices AND emailing AND waiting for field service managers, as I guess they figured I would. "Hibernating" is a bit more accurate as the anger never wore off. It just took a bit more of the usual Comcast nonsense to spring me into action.

FF to now. Having tired of spending more time dealing with making my phone work and paying ever increasing amounts of ransom money (they like to shut services down on Sundays when only way to get comminations is to go to Walgreens and use THEIR phone to pay ransom to get my service working again) to the great God of Comcast, I recently awoke from my "hostile hibernation" and decided their TV service just plain stinks and it's getting cut. I don't like it, never did like it and never will like it so out it goes (I've no contract...I was tentative about this company to start with so opted to pay $10/mo. more for no contract...good thing I did so as I really dislike Comcast TV).

I think I'll keep internet and this thing called "voice" but I want to purchase my own modem instead of paying their lease fee. BIG FAT PROBLEM! It's an "all in one" SUPER expensive product as their "voice" requires the Comcast creation of a non-landline landline called "voice" to be plugged into a modem which is not financially obtainable by regular humans like me who are on Social Security and don't have $277 sitting around to accommodate purchase of a modem to accommodate Comcast's illegal snipping of my landline to accommodate their non landline "voice" which oddly destroys competitive opportunity as when Comcast illegally cut my landline it can't be "re-dug". THAT is why it is illegal to cut...once they are gone they are gone.

So...I guess I would like to know thoughts on retaining Xfinity internet and "voice" as I'm tired of renting the way too often doesn't work 4 in 1 WiFi modem from them but not interested in paying anywhere from $175 to $359 for a modem to accommodate their bizarre set up.

I WANT my phone out of the middle of the living room where they stuck the modem and plugged it (phone) in upon removing it from my bedroom nightstand where it WAS quite content for a quarter of a century before I got the idea to get a "triple play" and get a normal WiFi modem/router like normal people and the phone BACK in the bedroom and OUT of the middle of my living room like a normal person.

Shouldn't be too hard.... right? That being asked, WHY IS IT?

Any ideas? Frankly I don't even want their internet anymore because of the issues BUT that's rather silly as I enjoy[ed] hotspots (they USED to work...before they implemented cellular service) and Connect (it works sometimes if I'm patient).

Your advisement would be appreciated!

Caryn
Regular Visitor

Re: Phone & Modem issue...

OMG--the same exact thing happened to me, since they installed all the new "up graded equipment" that landed in a big box on my driveway, without explanation wix months ago. I mean the exact same thing--moving the "main phone" to the living room, etc.  Since that time, my land line works only half the time. My fax machine has been completely disabled since then, with a message that keeps coming up:  "no working telphone line can be detected". They have since sent out two more techs, completely incompetent, who had absolutely no clue what they were doing, what needed to be done, and all they did was check for a dial tone with THEIR equipment, told me that this was all "comast owed me--a dial tone" even though my previously, relatively new, phones were in perfect working order. The techs, in additon to beting totally inept, were thuggis, rude and the third one who came out, who indenitfied himself as a supervisor, no less, threated to call an ambulance for me, because I asked him to please, at least check the system out. I was exasperated, but certainly no wear near out of control, was not yelling, crying, name calling. I was begging him, as the third tech to have come out, and the third wasted day I spent waited for them, to just please spend a few minutes checking the system. My concerns were supposedly "escalated" to the "coporate level" and some guy, idetifying himself as "RYAN R" called and emailed me a number which he claimed was his "direct line". When I called that number, several times, I got someone from the billing department, who had no idea who RYAN R was, said there was no extension that he could connect me to, etc.  When I emailed 'RYAN R" back, two months ago, he never responded.  This has been a nightmare for me.  Comcast is too lazy and cheep to train their "techs" who, if you ask me, a EX CONS, and not techs, who, inaddition to being incompetent, behave in a thuggish and threatening manner.

Contributor

Sounds like you got the same bunch "responding" to your issue. They were all quite condescending and acted like they were doing a great favor by not charging me to come out yet not a one did anything to fix the issues.

My phone doesn't even ring most of the time and often when it does I can't answer it. Those modems are catered to Comcast so it's not like we can just buy what we want. We have to pick one of two from their mydevice page (which are what we rent which are inadequate or have glitches). Anything else they won't activate.

It's quite obvious that Comcast has no training and from the customer service people in the phone (that was a typo but seems appropriate so I'll leave it..."IN" the phone) to the service technicians uniformity is completely absent.

Comcast employees peruse these help pages and not even one response is indicative of an organization that just doesn't care.

I'm quite sick of having a modem and answering machine in my living room. WHAT'S with THAT anyway? Is it trending like open concept floor plans or stainless steel appliances? Never heard of "floor down modems" or "living room floor phones" (compare to "desk top modem" or "kitchen phone", both of which are normal).

I thought I was the only one with a trendy "floor down modem and living room floor phone".

Yeesh! :-(
Regular Visitor

That is actually a very funny comment, the speculation regarding whether or not having phones and answering machines in the living room is trending.  Thanks for your response. From what I understand, they hired this guy "Tom" in 2015 just to revamp their customer service and try and put a stop to all their outraged customers who have the temerity to demand the service they are paying for, actually functions.  If this "tomcat" whose photograph is on the customer service page, does not know how to orchestrate a competent tech, who knows how to hook of the phone service with the new updated equipment, to come to my house and re-install the phone lines properly,  then alls we have is yet another overpaid figure head, taking up office space at "corporate", who will continue to preside over a dysfunctional, inept department, as business as usual.  All I can is, I have never been afraid of service people in my home before and I have 135 lb German Shehpered, and I was terrified of the two techs that came out.  If, in fact, the phones, including fax machines, are rendered disabled by the "new equipent", then that is something which we should be advised of, on the front end.

I cannot stand having the phone in my living room.  How stupid is, that?  I rarely go in there.  The dogs have taken it over.  My phone does not ring and I have a 90 year old mother who lives accross the country who could not get in touch with me on several occasions. 

The technical fallout from this odious upgrade should be widely publicized.  

Contributor

"The technical fallout from this odious upgrade should be widely publicized. "

The modems essentially ensure Comcast's customers can't go anywhere else or if they want to stay can't lose the ridiculous $10/month equipment fee. The landline is gone so unless the company (usually AT&T or Verizon) is willing to come out and restore, once they're gone, they're gone and one is forever entrapped to VoIP phones or WiFi which we know don't work well with some applications (like utilizing the phone, for example) unless properly installed. Even then if the technician didn't provide a battery back up one is toast in case of power outage....in my case a fire down the block a few days after installation and I couldn't call 911 because the modem wigged out. THAT'S how I found out they snipped the land line.

I didn't get a "bad" feeling from technicians. The first one was shy and I could tell he did not want to lie to me but was being told to do so. The "supervisor" was a condescending know-it-all who knew less than I did (and that wasn't much).

I'm at a loss. I think only thing to do is get the technician back out and make it clear the phone and modem flee the living room and the phone and modem become separate entities. I don't know how to do that but all the other phone companies do so I'm sure they have a manual somewhere that they can reference.
Contributor

BTW...I forgot to mention...the reason the (gateway) modem has two lines is so that a customer desiring a fax hookup will have to purchase a second, dedicated line and pay monthly fees on that as well. Comcast doesn't allow for a "virtual" secondary* phone line like I'm used to (as you seem to be also). A gateway modem should be EVERYTHING needed to operate FLAWLESSLY and with just one box.

* a virtual secondary line has it's own phone (outgoing, not incoming...incoming should have it's own dedicated number if one does s reasonable fax volume and it's FAIR to pay for it) number which only allows for fax transmission. It's not even mentioned as a feature...it's just there. Only reason I know of it's existence is that my transmission logs had a phone number I didn't know about and didn't pay for but it was mine. If I dialed the phone number with a phone nothing happened. I don't know how it worked and took it for granted. With Comcast I had to unplug my answering machine, carry the fax (a multi-function printer) over to the floor and plug it in. IF the modem provided by Comcast were programmed correctly the fax could go via WiFi (it would actually be assigned a virtual phone number). Incoming would be held in memory. The modem IS able to do that but everything has to be set up. When the "supervisor" came out he told me, and I quote, "I don't know how to connect a PC to the internet". I'm still trying to wrap my head around that statement. It does not register!

A business can't operate off of just one phone number. In all the years I ran my business there was a second phone number that I didn't pay a single penny for. I don't even know exactly how it worked except for what I typed above and that somewhere in the service provider's software or the modem it knows the difference between a talking call and a "paper" call. Comcast doesn't have that with these modems OR at least know how to make it work. It really should be quite simple though.

I'm going to call right now (they're open) and have a tech come out a separate my phone from the modem so I can purchase a normal, not $300 modem OR at least get it out of the living room until I have my new OTA TiVo and Roku set up and I can get the Comcast DVR stuff out of here and THEN decide on a new modem .

BTW...I work PT at a store which sells these modems and talked to the peeps in that department last night. The modems (both of them... the old and new) are VERY high tech so I know they are capable. The very least I could escape from there with one with employee discount was $214 plus tax. It would take 24 months to justify at Comcast's $10 per month rental (it's NOT a "lease"...a "lease", by definition has to be open ended or closed ended, meaning option to purchase or continue at end). Same modem, different provider is $5/month LEASE, not rental (option to buy exists... actually, forced buy unless it's returned at end, for a greatly reduced cost).
Official Employee

Re: So, Comcast illegally snipped my landline...

Hi Caryn,

Sorry to hear you feel this way. In regards to purchasing your own modem for internet service, please check out our list of Approved Devices to ensure the modem is compatible. As for the location of your current modem, I am more than happy to schedule a technician to come out and relocate it. If you'd like me to do so, just send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me. 

In the body of this message please verify the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services, and we can go from there.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Official Employee

Hi Caryn219, I just replied to another one of your posts in regards to your modem and then found this one. I'm happy to hear you were able to find a solution to the monthly modem rental fee. If there's anything we can help you with in the future, please feel free to reach out. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Thank you very much for responding to me. Unfortunately I just got yanked all over the board at Comcast for 32 3/4 hours straight (less 4 hours' work time) starting last weekend via store, phone, chat, and email after taking my boxes back to the local Xfinity store last weekend

It got to a point that the representative couldn't even find my account. A most bizarre situation at best. I finally just gave up as my services were behind repair...no text, internet down to 18 Mbps, voice mail gone, etc. It goes on and on.

I spread my communications accounts over several a different providers that I didn't have to beg for service from.

I appreciate you reaching out. Unfortunately not everyone at Comcast takes an interest in the customer's satisfaction as you have.

Thank you for at least trying.
Official Employee

Hello Caryn219, responding to your last post, is there anything I can assist you with? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Thank you.

I turned everything into Xfinity Store. They kept making appointments to turn them in. I got tired of waiting in line ... Over an hour for one appointment. I just plunked the modem on the counter and the employee, Jose, said "they'll get to it eventually", whatever that means.

Prior to that they cut off my voicemail and connect app and "took" my phone number of 26 years (wouldn't allow porting, which is illegal) so I guess I'm fine. I'm certainly not paying for non-service. The last month with them was a pure nightmare.

It IS sad that they don't care about existing customers but that's what happens when a company gets so large and has a monopoly. I went completely on my own except for internet, which I got from competitive company for $29/month, 500 Mbps and I'm very happy. :-)