Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Person on other end cannot hear me

Regular Visitor

Person on other end cannot hear me

We a five piece Panasonic phone set which we have been using for several years with no problems.  When we make a call, we can hear them but they cannot hear us.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Is it Comcast or our phones?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Person on other end cannot hear me

Please see https://www.xfinity.com/support/phone/troubleshooting-no-dial-tone/ and https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/power-cycling-your-modem/. If still not working, try plugging a corded phone directly into the modem or gateway. If that works, the problem is in your home phones or wiring. If it doesn't, something's wrong with your Comcast service.

If you can't get it working contact them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them at https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/. If they can't fix the problem remotely insist that they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have their Service Protection Plan (http://www.xfinity.com/spp/, about $6/mo). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast phone modem or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Comcast may or may not respond to your message here. If they do respond, it may take them several days.

Cable Expert

@q1ujsg,

Is this new service? New phones? Did the service work properly before?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I have had the same issue for the last month or so. I notice it on my outbound calls. I am talking to the other person just fine and then a few mins into the call they can no longer hear me but I can hear them - clearly with no static. Today it was worse in that my outbound call was made and the other end could not hear me at all. I am using a top of the line Panasonic 5.8 Ghz phone about 20 feet from the base station.

I work for a telecom company and spoke to our VoIP/SIP techs and they said it is a common complaint with Comcast phone service but that it can be fixed.

As I write this I am waiting in the Comcast tech support Chat queue. Wish me luck.

Contributor

I posted the same problem a few days ago.  But just the opposite -- they can hear me, but I can't hear them.

See http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/Can-t-hear-voice-of-caller-intermittently/...

New Poster

I just had a Comcast service rep tell me that Panasonic phones use a pulse signal that is out of synch with the rest of the industry.  As a result, Panasonic phones are susceptible to both voice issues and keypad tone issues (where you encounter a menu requiring you to enter numbers on your keypad).  He said that the issue is with the phone, not the modems-- he's seen many modems from six different manufacturers, and Panasonics can have trouble with all of them.  Interestingly, the only phone I have that is error free is not a Panasonic. It's a 25-year old ATT Princess-style phone.  Frustrating, esp as the issue is only now showing up after several years with Comcast, and it's getting worse.

New Poster

Interesting comment that it's a Panasonic conflict.  I have been having this issue with an ATT 5.8gHz cordless landline set, plugged directly into the Xfinity “Technicolor DPC3941T DOCSIS 3.0 VOICE GATEWAY”.  Using a 4 wire RJ11cable.

So I’ve switched to an older Panasonic 5.8 ghz phone for the moment to see if the issue still occurs.  Very frustrating that it’s an intermittent problem that is not easily reproduceable.  Sometimes it happens only with certain friends calling on certain phones.  Other times a quick callback fixes the problem.  I cannot make it happen if I call from my cell, so again, very frustrating.

Official Employee

Hello @Jebcidic. To attempt to isolate the issue, have you tried to plug a corded phone directly into the back of the modem, and do testing to confirm if the issue still occurs? If not, I'd highly recommend giving it a try. This will help rule out if it is a cordless (DECT) phone issue. Please let me know how this goes?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Hello ComcastJoTru:

ok i will try that once  I find a wired phone.

But have you seen this?

http://info.teledynamics.com/blog/how-to-troubleshoot-one-way-and-no-way-audio-on-voip-calls

The author suspects issues are with ports used by RTP being blocked somewhere.  IF its the because of the  DPC3941T router firewall, then all i can do is disable the firewall entirely.  Not sure if the packets areconsidered part of  IPv4 or 6, or both.  Really don't want to disable the firewall, by default it is on minimum security, reducing further opens up the router to any attack.

Please advise!

Official Employee

Hi Jebcidic. Thanks for providing that information. We have not heard that our equipment's firewall would cause such issue being that our digital voice service is on a specific dedicated server. If this information was true, we would probably have thousands of customer complaining about this issue. I would advise trying a regular corded phone before changing the firewall settings. Also, we can swap you for a different model gateway, if you would insist. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Gold Problem Solver

Jebcidic wrote: ... IF its the because of the  DPC3941T router firewall, then all i can do is disable the firewall entirely. ...

I was hoping that a Comcast rep would clear this up for us, but since they haven't . . .

The firewall settings are only for Internet access, aren't they? They shouldn't affect Comcast's phone service. If you were using a third party VOIP like Vonage or Ooma, then yes, it might matter.

Official Employee

I certainly agree with you BruceW. Our phone service is connected to a dedicated server and does not utilize the internet access from the modem itself. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

OK Good news.  Since I plugged in and have been using a corded telephone, no issues have happened.  Haven't had that many calls, but hopefully this is the solution to the problem.  Really wish I can use a cordless phone, wondering if there are any Comcast/Xfinity recommends?

Gold Problem Solver

Jebcidic wrote: ... Really wish I can use a cordless phone, wondering if there are any Comcast/Xfinity recommends?

Not really. There's a list of general requirements at https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/requirements-for-equipment-used-with-phone, and a list of incompatible phones at https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/incompatible-equipment-phone.

You might be able to find recomendations in the forums at http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=Compatible%20Phones&loc... or http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&q=Compatible%20Phones&loc....

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation