Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

No phone service with backup battery

Problem Solver

No phone service with backup battery

I have been noticing that my phone service has been going out even though I have a backup battery in t he gateway. To verify this I unplugged the gateway. Sure enough all the lights went out except the top one. This meant not only was the internet out but so was the phone. I also noticed that even the battery light was out. Normally the battery light was always on.

Is the battery bad or could it be the gateway itself not working with it? Note both the gateway and battery are less than two years old.

Gateway: Technicolor TC8305C
Battery Status (while on AC)
Power status: AC
Battery Installed: Yes
Battery Condition: Good
Remaining Charge: 2600 mAh (100%, Idle)
Remaining Time: 7.5 hours
Battery Model Identifier: BPB210N26

Also note that my old gateway an Arris TG862G while on battery would not only keep the phone working for up to 8 hours but would keep the internet working also. I tested that one time and found that because of the extra load while keeping the internet going reduced the battery time to only about 25 minutes. That was ok because the battery for the UPS for my desktop computer was about the run down anyways.

Service Expert

Re: No phone service with backup battery

@MisterEd51 wrote:

I have been noticing that my phone service has been going out even though I have a backup battery in t he gateway. To verify this I unplugged the gateway. Sure enough all the lights went out except the top one. This meant not only was the internet out but so was the phone. I also noticed that even the battery light was out. Normally the battery light was always on.

Is the battery bad or could it be the gateway itself not working with it? Note both the gateway and battery are less than two years old.

Gateway: Technicolor TC8305C
Battery Status (while on AC)
Power status: AC
Battery Installed: Yes
Battery Condition: Good
Remaining Charge: 2600 mAh (100%, Idle)
Remaining Time: 7.5 hours
Battery Model Identifier: BPB210N26

Also note that my old gateway an Arris TG862G while on battery would not only keep the phone working for up to 8 hours but would keep the internet working also. I tested that one time and found that because of the extra load while keeping the internet going reduced the battery time to only about 25 minutes. That was ok because the battery for the UPS for my desktop computer was about the run down anyways.

I have always replaced any electronic batteries annually.....  Replace the battery as a first step.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation