Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

No phone dial tone with new modem

Regular Visitor

No phone dial tone with new modem

Just replaced old modem with a new style at the Comcast Store.  Came home and reattached cords/cables - now I have no phone dial tone.  Didn't have a problem with the old modem.  Made no other changes to the system.

Tried to use 'chat' mode - couldn't figure out how to work it, and don't have a phone to use to talk to anyone.  

Got NO documentation with the new modem so don't know how to reset it (or if that would help).

Any suggestions?

P.S. - would love to identify the new modem, but I'm not sure how to identify it.

Valued Contributor

Re: No phone dial tone with new modem

Read your post and thought I would share the things that I did when I swapped out my leased modem/router some time ago.

On my replacement modem, like on my original one, there were two jacks in the back of it to plug the telephone cable into with the Line 1 jack being open and the Line 2 jack having a plastic cover over it.  With my setup I plug my cordless base unit directly into the back of the modem and so I plugged it into the open Line 1 jack.  I too had no dial tone at that point so I just tried removing the plastic cover off of the Line 2 jack and plugging my phone in there and that took care of the issue.  

Backing up in steps a bit to let you know how I arrived at the above, when I went to my Comcast store and swapped out my modem/router unit, they told me to plug the new unit in to the power and connect the cable to the back of it, trun it on and let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes so that their network could locate and identify the unit.  After the waiting period I was to call a number they gave me to get the new unit activated.  It was an automated system that I called into and I don't recall the options that I selected but I followed its prompts and the units lights began to cycle through their statup flashing seqence.  I think it was about another 20 minutes or so before everthing settled down at which time I had Internet connection and then began to work on getting my phone connected.  That is when I ran into having to use the Line 2 option.  

Hope the above information helps you out.

Official Employee

Re: No phone dial tone with new modem

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to assist you from here. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your phone number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon