discussions

New Gateway Device Received

SOLVED
Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 1 of 5

Greetings -

So, a week or so ago I got a letter from Xfinity saying that they wanted to send me updated equipment.  I went online and ordered up the new equipment; it arrived and I started reading the literature prior to installing.  Lo and behold, I discovered that my new Xfinity Technicolor DPC3941T gateway device did not have a battery backup like my current Arris device has.  If I was using the device for normal internet and voice operation this wouldn't be a big deal.  However, my home security system is connected thru this device and if there is a power outage my security system needs to be able to dial out since it has its own battery backup.

So, do I send this new device back since it is less capable than the current device? Or do I have to go out and find a backup battery on my own nickel to fill the empty slot in the new device?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 5
Solution

RKF wrote:

Greetings -

So, a week or so ago I got a letter from Xfinity saying that they wanted to send me updated equipment.  I went online and ordered up the new equipment; it arrived and I started reading the literature prior to installing.  Lo and behold, I discovered that my new Xfinity Technicolor DPC3941T gateway device did not have a battery backup like my current Arris device has.  If I was using the device for normal internet and voice operation this wouldn't be a big deal.  However, my home security system is connected thru this device and if there is a power outage my security system needs to be able to dial out since it has its own battery backup.

So, do I send this new device back since it is less capable than the current device? Or do I have to go out and find a backup battery on my own nickel to fill the empty slot in the new device?

Thanks in advance.

Comcast stopped sending batteries for devices on Feb 26, 2013.  For anyone requiring security from power outages, I always recommend a UPS system and NOT a battery in a device as I prefer to keep the power managed on many of my devices ( TVs, Cable Boxes, Gateways/Modems, Routers, Monitors, CCTV systems, Weather systems, Alarm systems, etc ).

If you want the device battery, The Cisco battery part number is 4033435. Specifications are 10.8V 2600 mAh.  You can find it at many online retailers ( I prefer Amazon myself. )

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 5
Solution

RKF wrote:

Greetings -

Thanks in advance.

Comcast stopped sending batteries for devices on Feb 26, 2013.  For anyone requiring security from power outages, I always recommend a UPS system and NOT a battery in a device as I prefer to keep the power managed on many of my devices ( TVs, Cable Boxes, Gateways/Modems, Routers, Monitors, CCTV systems, Weather systems, Alarm systems, etc ).

If you want the device battery, The Cisco battery part number is 4033435. Specifications are 10.8V 2600 mAh.  You can find it at many online retailers ( I prefer Amazon myself. )

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 5

geek46 -

Thanks for the reply.  I understand the UPS thing, but I really only care to have my home security system working in the event some bad guy cuts power to my house.  Since it already has its own backup power it needs a way to get to the outside world and that is thru the voice part of the gateway device.  Pretty sad that Comcast is going to make me purchase a battery for a device that I am renting from them.  For that matter, why AM I still renting that from them?  Going to have to look into that since in all my research I saw the same device for sale all over the place.

Thanks again.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 4 of 5

RKF wrote:

geek46 -

Thanks for the reply.  I understand the UPS thing, but I really only care to have my home security system working in the event some bad guy cuts power to my house.  Since it already has its own backup power it needs a way to get to the outside world and that is thru the voice part of the gateway device.  Pretty sad that Comcast is going to make me purchase a battery for a device that I am renting from them.  For that matter, why AM I still renting that from them?  Going to have to look into that since in all my research I saw the same device for sale all over the place.

Thanks again.

Be careful with what device you purchase as many devices that Comcast "Rents" are NOT approved for purchase and activation.... the only approved devices allowed for Customer Retail Purchase can be found using this link:  https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 5

geek46 -

Thank you again.  I researched the devices available to purchase and they are all (much) less capable than the device Xfinity shipped.  I guess I will stick with the new device and buy a battery.

Thanks.