New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Netgear Modem C7100V voice issues

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 1 of 5

I purchased a new Netgear C7100V modem for you xfinity service, including voice. I have had ongoing problems with the call quality with drop outs happening during the conversation every 10 to 20 seconds. The dropouts last for 4 to 10 seconds, then returns to normal. I talked to Netgear, replaced the modem and nothing seems to fix the issue. Anybody else have this problem with this modem? If you have did you ever get it fixed so it is working correctly. Right now using the phone is nearly impossible as the speaker on the other end becomes unintelligable several times during the call. FYI...this happens whether I originate the call or somebody calls us. Also...the person on the other end of the line does not have a problem hearing and understanding me.

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 2 of 5
First thing I would try is if you haven't already... is try plugging a phone directly into the phone port on back of gateway and then if the static goes away you have issues with your inside wiring of your house, if it still occurs try using a new phone cord from gateway to phone directly the. If that still doesn't work try and different phone plugged directly into the gateway, and if that STILL doesn't help there must be an issue with gateway or signal
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply...everything you suggested has already been tried. The phone is plugged directly into the modem. I purchased a new phone and it gave me the same problems. Phone cord has been replaced. 

The odd thing here is...if I reset the modem the problem corrects itself for about 12 hours...then progressively gets worse. Really weird. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 4 of 5

OK...got the problem fixed. The Netgear C7100v modem is both a modem and a router (hardwire and WiFi). There are 4 rs232 jacks in the back and both 2.4 and 5 Mhz WiFi channels. However, it appears that the device cannot handle multiple devices connected to it and the Voip phone connection. I had a total of 10 devices attached (4 hardwired and 6 WiFi) and had the ongoing problem of voice drops. I purchased a WiFi hotspot and ran a single connection from the Netgear modem to the hotspot and kept the phone line connected directly into the Netgear. This fixed the issue. Offloading all the network devices off the Netgear device and only having the WiFi hotspot connected to it has stopped the voice drops competely. I would not recommend that anybody purchase the Netgear modem due to its cost and inability to handle multiple devices connected to the router portion. Would be much cheaper for somebody to purchase a device that is only the modem and connect a decent WiFi hotspot to that.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 5

Thank you craignv for this update. I would also consider keeping your router at least 3 feet from the modem as this could cause voice issues as well. If you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist. Have a great day.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon