Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Line In Use

Regular Visitor

Line In Use

I have Xfinity voice, but i never use it because i have land line service; a few weeks ago my  land line stopped working my cordless phone said "Line In Use" no connection, it didn't work most of the day, finally i notice i had a voice message; but i didn't know why because my phone not setup for voice messages. I deleted the voice message some how and my land line started working again. Now on 01/20/2018 my land line stopped working once again, looked another voice message was on my land phone, tried to deleted it but it wouldn't delete. Land line saying " Line In Use" once again no connection. So i went to Xfinity voice today an there were the voice messages i was getting over my land line phone, i deleted the messages but still getting on my home phone "line In Use" no connection. i hooked up my phone to the modem which is new and my phone worked, i could now call out and receive call threw the modem; but the phone still showed " Line In Use" . I didn't know that my land line phone was somehow in sync with Xfinity voice and it had has threeway line. I believe that when Xfinity voice gets a message and someone in my famliy makes or receive a call some how the voice message line is open, make it a threeway call, but stay open causing it to say " Line In Use" blocking my land line from working. I have rebooted the modem,unpluged the house phone, and checked what i could with line. Still nothing!. Any suggestion would be helpful... Thx.

Official Employee

Re: Line In Use

Line in use on a phone means there’s a phone off the hook or there’s a short circuit in the wiring or you have 2 providers hooked up together. When you say land line service, is that through Comcast or another provider?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Yes i have AT&T for phone service, the only reason i have Xfinity voice i had to get it with the plan offered i never use it. That what i am trying to find out is, do the two services some how block one another for some reason. As i said in the post it wasn't until i went to Xfinity voice an deleted the voice messages that the indicater sign for voice message went off my home phone. That why i was ask is Xfinity voice was some how syncing with my land line phone..

Official Employee

fmartin2009 wrote:

Yes i have AT&T for phone service, the only reason i have Xfinity voice i had to get it with the plan offered i never use it. That what i am trying to find out is, do the two services some how block one another for some reason. As i said in the post it wasn't until i went to Xfinity voice an deleted the voice messages that the indicater sign for voice message went off my home phone. That why i was ask is Xfinity voice was some how syncing with my land line phone..

Do you have a phone line of any kind coming out of the Comcast gateway? 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

No, the only thing i have both the new modem; and new X1TV box which is in the same room with my home phone We do see a call come over the TV when someone calls though Xfinity voice.

Official Employee

fmartin2009 wrote:

No, the only thing i have both the new modem; and new X1TV box which is in the same room with my home phone We do see a call come over the TV when someone calls though Xfinity voice.

If you have no phone line coming out of the modem, the issue is with AT&T. Are the 2 phone numbers different, you werent trying to port a number to Comcast?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

Yes, both numbers are different. The only time i use Xfinity phone was to see if i could call out and receive calls i could; but i couldn't understand was,why it was still showing "Line in Use" while i was use Xfinity phone. I can understand if it something at&t doing that messup the line; but i didn't know why plug in to Xfinity phone would be showing the same thing too, with a good connection. I will contact AT&T too; trying to cover all base with you before contacting them.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation