discussions

How to purchase and install a voice modem

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 1 of 1

Approved Devices

There are four Comcast approved retail devices that handle voice:

The all-in-one Arris SVG2482AC

This device handles voice, Internet, routing and Wi-Fi. This all-in-one type of device is commonly referred to as a gateway. The SVG2482AC is the highest performer of the group with 24x8 channels (down/up). This device can be activated across Comcast's entire footprint.Screenshot 2017-04-20 at 4.58.31 PM.png

The all-in-one Arris TG862G

This device handles voice, Internet, routing and Wi-Fi. This device can be activated across Comcast's entire footprint.

tg862g-ct.JPG

Those that may need better router/ Wi-Fi performance may wish to use their own router. You must disable the router/ Wi-Fi capabilities of the TG862G before you can use your own router. This is known as putting the gateway into bridge mode. Bridge mode can be accomplished by following the directions found here.

The Arris TM822G

This device handles voice and internet. It does not have a built-in router. 

Screenshot 2017-01-11 at 8.26.11 PM.png

The Arris TM722G 

The TM722G is an older device that handles voice and Internet only. This device is notoriously difficult to find at retail, be very cautious if you choose to buy a used one as they are often stolen equipment and can't be provisioned on Comcast's system. Also be aware that the TM722G is an older device (4x4 channels) and will not support Comcast's faster speed tiers. I strongly suggest that you consider a newer device; the TM722G will likely be obsolete before it becomes cost effective.  Call 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489) before purchasing a TM722G to be sure Comcast will allow you to use it in your area.

Installation

1. Unplug your old device from the coaxial outlet and plug your new gateway into that same outlet. 
  2. Connect the power connector to the new modem and electrical outlet.
  3. Connect the phone connector (RJ11) to the new modem (TEL1 port).
  4. Wait for the modem to come online. The lights on the modem will let you know when it is online. It may take a few minutes to connect the first time.
  5. Once the modem is online, connect your computer.

Activation

Before you start, make sure your account number and telephone number are readily available. This information can be found on your monthly statement or order confirmation e-mail.

1. Open a web browser. You should automatically be directed to the XFINITY Activation page. If not, please go to www.xfinity.com/activate.
  2. Enter the account information and additional details for which you are asked via the webpage.
  3. After entering the appropriate information, activation will be complete.

If the online activation does not succeed, call customer support: 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

[Updated 4/25/17 by nerdburg]

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon