Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Digital TV adapter

ANSWERED
Contributor

Digital TV adapter

IF the purpose of a digital TV adapter is to convert the signal from Digital to analog so that older analog TVs 

can still be used, is it possible that an all Digital TV would eliminate the need the adapter in the first place?

Thanks:                                                                                                                            Smiley HappySmiley Happy                   

Accepted Solution

Re: Digital TV adapter

@ICUDOUCME wrote:

IF the purpose of a digital TV adapter is to convert the signal from Digital to analog so that older analog TVs 

can still be used, is it possible that an all Digital TV would eliminate the need the adapter in the first place

Yes, that's how it used to be. Basic channels were not encrypted allowing any customer with a digital tuner the ability to just hook up their TV and get at least some service. This was fantastic as you could have an extra outlet w/o additional cost.  Becuase cable is a closed radio (RF) system -all content is broadcast to all devices - Comcast switched to full encryption to prevent theft and the need to physically disconnect/reconnect services. And of course to increase profits. 

View answer in context
Silver Problem Solver

They are also descramblers, so a box is required on every TV.

Cable Expert

@ICUDOUCME wrote:

can still be used, is it possible that an all Digital TV would eliminate the need the adapter in the first place

Yes, that's how it used to be. Basic channels were not encrypted allowing any customer with a digital tuner the ability to just hook up their TV and get at least some service. This was fantastic as you could have an extra outlet w/o additional cost.  Becuase cable is a closed radio (RF) system -all content is broadcast to all devices - Comcast switched to full encryption to prevent theft and the need to physically disconnect/reconnect services. And of course to increase profits. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Thanks   nerdburg

I think I understand it now.

I will still need the DTA's for extra TV's .

And this is because of the encryption.

And encryption prevented piracy and increased revenue at the same time.    

Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation