Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

DPC3941 'B' & 'T' hardware vs firmware

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 3

I went to TriplePlay from DoublePlay in January.  The installation of a Technicolor DPC3941T did not work.  Internet function was normal, but telephony would not function.  No LED for #1 and no dialtone.  Support 'Tier 1' could not resolve the problem and escalated me to 'Tier 2'.  'Tier 2' could not see my unit, but reported seeing my previous unit on the account.  'Tier 2' advised replacement of the Technicolor DPC3941T.  While on the call I ask for comfirmation of a Cisco DPC3941B unit and five MAC addresses for compatibility for my use.  MAC addresses were acceptable and no negativeresponse was provided.  I replaced the Technicolor DPC3941T and again the internet functioned normally.  'Tier 1' was contacted again as I had no LED #1 lite or dialtone.  'Tier 1' managed to solve the LED #1 issue, and no dialtone problem, but Icould only initiate calls outbound.  No inbound calls would ring on the DPC3941T phone.  Calls outbound and inbound did still function on the AT&T landline.  Again 'Tier 1' was contacted and they then managed to correctthe problem.  AT&T landline was dead and the DPC3941T telephony functioned proberly.  I purchased Cisco DPC3941B's to replace my rental unit from Comcast.  Documentation is non-existant, confusing,ormisleading at best.  Upon installation of the Cisco DPC3941B the internet again functioned normally.  The LED #1 would not light and I had no dialtone.  'Tier 1' was contacted and could not resolve the problem.  'Tier #2' was contacted and they reported that they could not remedy the problem as I had a residential account and a business router.

The local Comcast retail representative submitted a request to technical support.  The response was no technical assistance was available locally and that they were at Best Buy. Go to Best Buy and ask them.  If they cannot help purchase a unit from Best Buy that will work.  I filed a complaint with the FCC.  Comcast Executive Customer Care contacted me.  A call with 'Technical Support' was arranged.  'Technical Support' again stated a residential account and abusiness unit were not compatible.  Websites were reviewed and 'Technical Support' agreed that data I should be seeing was not.  I ask about installing residential firmware on a business unit as the telephony function appears to be different.  Cisco to Technicolor transition has probably clouded the issue, but 'Tech Support' indicated they would check on the hardware and firmware compatibility and get back to me.  My next contact was from Comcast Executive Customer Care advisingme that the complaint was resolved and they were going to do nothing.  Is the hardware executing firmware dpc3941b-v303r2040173-151003a-CMST capable of executing firmware dpc3941 v303r20421773-160413a-CMST?  If so; is there a later level firmware with a security fix available?  Thank-you!          

2 REPLIES
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 3

BoxofRocks,

Your issue has been escalated to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Administrator

Message 3 of 3

Hi BoxofRocks -- The information you were given by Executive Care was correct. Business Modems and Residential Modems are different and their firmware is not interchangeable. You would need a Residential approved modem for your account. We provide these as rental units or, if you'd like to purchase your own, you can find a list of approved Residential retail modems from this list here: https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon