Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

wrong modum for phone

New Poster

wrong modum for phone

Just discovered that my phones won't work with the new Motorola Surfboard Modum/Wireless Router I spent the last hour installing. Thanks for sharing that piece of information, Comcast. I wouldn't have bought this model had that information been provided.

Connection Expert

Re: wrong modum for phone

Sorry you have run into a problem. 

If you have the telephone service provided by Comcast, just keep your old Emta for the phone service and run your new Gateway device in parallel.

If you have services such as Vonnage or MagicJack they should run under the new gateway.

If you were looking to buy a Combo unit toreplace the current emta in order to avoid paying the rental fee, be advised that those devices are available on ly in some market areas.  So you would want to either post a question about availability of EMTA's for sale in your locale or do a Search in the search box at the top of the Voice service Forum Board.

I think that question has been answered several times in this venue.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks James - I do have our phone service through Comcast but how do I run the two modums in parallel? I'm just not that electronically minded. One cable comes in to the house. Can I just plug in the old modum to power and then hook up the phone connection to it? Or is there some other wizardry I have to perform?

Connection Expert

Anon216805 wrote:

Thanks James - I do have our phone service through Comcast but how do I run the two modums in parallel? I'm just not that electronically minded. One cable comes in to the house. Can I just plug in the old modum to power and then hook up the phone connection to it? Or is there some other wizardry I have to perform?

Two ways, call for a tech to come and do it for you or go to Best Buy and purchase a splitter and two lengths of Coax cable and do it yourself.  Please be advised that if you don't have enough signal that you may need to call for a tech to work it out.

Basically Walljack to coax to single side of splitter.

Coax from double side of splitter to old modem.

Coax from double side of splitter to new modem.

Call Comcast and have them activate the new modem for Internet service only.

Make sure they know they have to leave the old modem activated for Phone service only.

No Guarantee, but it should work.  If not, post back and someone will walk you through the troubleshooting.

Good Luck with it.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Thanks! I figured out the cable splitter this morning and have sent my husband for the necessary bits. We have good signal so it shouldn't be a problem.

Connection Expert

Sounds like you have a plan.

If you have problems getting it started up, post back in Connectivity and Modem Help forum and they can walk you through it.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Thanks James,

All seems to be working but I'm going to call Comcast back to make sure they have it straight in terms of the modems.