Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

wireless router voice service

Regular Visitor

wireless router voice service

I have an ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem for my comcast internet service.  I'm now adding their voice service to my account and need to know which wireless router I can purchase that will work with their voice service since I've been told my Cisco EA3500 router will not work.   I really don't want to have a modem and router as one piece of equipment and I'd also rather not have to return the cable modem I just purchased. Any suggestions?

Service Expert

Re: wireless router voice service

pcjackson wrote:

I have an ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem for my comcast internet service.  I'm now adding their voice service to my account and need to know which wireless router I can purchase that will work with their voice service since I've been told my Cisco EA3500 router will not work.   I really don't want to have a modem and router as one piece of equipment and I'd also rather not have to return the cable modem I just purchased. Any suggestions?

It is up to the local market if you can have separate devices.  What you "can" do is to go ahead and get the Gateway device and then BRIDGE it and continue to use the Cisco EA3500 router that you currently have.  MOst users find the Gateways lacking in range and power on the wireless side and add thier own high quality router to that mix.   I have a netgear R7000 Bridged to my Arris TG862G and have zero issues and have whole home including outside front and backyards covered with the Netgear's wireless.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks...after doing research I've also decided to go with the TG862G and bridge it to my Cisco EA3500.  I could never truly confirm if the Arris TM822G could be bridged to my Cisco Wireless Router or not.  I kept getting conflicting information the more a read up on that model.

Gold Problem Solver

pcjackson wrote: ... I've also decided to go with theTG862G and bridge it to myCiscoEA3500.  I could never truly confirm if theArrisTM822G could be bridged to myCisco Wireless Router or not.  ...

The TG862 should be fine in bridge mode. The TM822 can't be "bridged" as it is a straight eMTA modem with no router component. It is, so to speak, always in "bridge mode". But Comcast probably would not activate a purchased TM822 for you. See http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Voice-Service-and-Equipment/TM822G-is-not-an-approved-retail-device-for...

Strangely, although they have slammed the door on purchased TM822s, they're happy to rent one to you. There's something just a little bit stinky there.