New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

voice mail

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

voice mail

I recently had a power outage and was told by the installer of my voice mail that I could still use my phone since my voice modem has a battery back-up. However when I tried it, couldn't dial out.

Accepted Solution

Re: voice mail

The eMTA telephony modem is supposed to have a 8 hour battery backup.  Try unplugging the AC power on the eMTA and see if the LED's on the unit stay on, showing that the eMTA is running on battery power.  If the LED's go out, then the battery in the eMTA is not working properly and Comcast needs to fix it or replace it.

if your using cordless phones, the cordless phone base still needs AC power to work, so when the power is out you need to use a cord phone wired to your eMTA or inside wiring so you can use the phone.  Your other option on a cordless phone is to buy a UPS battery backup unit to run the cordless phone base on.

You don't say what kind of phones you are using at home, but if they are cordless, those need power, and do not run when the power is out.

View answer in context
Cable Expert

The eMTA telephony modem is supposed to have a 8 hour battery backup.  Try unplugging the AC power on the eMTA and see if the LED's on the unit stay on, showing that the eMTA is running on battery power.  If the LED's go out, then the battery in the eMTA is not working properly and Comcast needs to fix it or replace it.

if your using cordless phones, the cordless phone base still needs AC power to work, so when the power is out you need to use a cord phone wired to your eMTA or inside wiring so you can use the phone.  Your other option on a cordless phone is to buy a UPS battery backup unit to run the cordless phone base on.

You don't say what kind of phones you are using at home, but if they are cordless, those need power, and do not run when the power is out.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

----

Sorry about the issues with your voicemail. The information previously provided is correct. Please let us know if you need more assistance.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Thanks
-Keisha-