Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

upstream voice will drop

Regular Visitor

upstream voice will drop

We have had an intermittent problem where my upstream voice will drop and the other party can't hear me but I can hear them fine and it will be 10-30 sec before they can hear me again.  Generally on days when this happens, my internet will drop and reconnect.  Tech came out yesterday and put new connectors on my cable and it seemed to help reduce the errors. But I had the problem shortly after again. All day today the voice is garbled and clips at times.  We have replaced the modem and the phones with comcast recommended phones without any improvement.

My wife and I both work from home and now must conduct business on our cell phones. We must find a solution fast or else we will no recourse but to find a reliable carrier.

Frequent Visitor

Re: upstream voice will drop

Did you ever get a solution?  I have the exact same problem.  It is seriously frustrating.

Contributor

We have been having a similar problem with our home phones for months now. I thought it was the phones themselves so I bought another set. We have two different types of cordless phones now but it happens on both brands..Panasonic (older-about 1 yr) and V-Tech (just purchased a month ago).

It happen a couple of days ago while I was talking to a billing service about someone else's bills coming to my home.

It happened again today while I was talking to my Health-Care Rep. Right in the middle of talking I lost her but the call still showed as connected. I had to hang up and call her back. Luckily I had it from the caller ID. Very frustrating is putting it mildly!

After reading this... it now seems the problem is with the Comcast system. I'll call them tomorrow and update this with any results. Wish me luck!

Regular Visitor

The only response was they would ckeck with their supervisor.  This is a VOIP problem and due to the quality of the service comcast is providing.  I suggest you go to http://myspeed.visualware.com/.and run the VOIP and speed test.  My speed consistancy of service is 14% which will cause the problem we are seeing

Regular Visitor

This is the result of my speed test. The Download consistency of service and Upload consistency of service constantly fail.

Download speed:  24797 kbps

Upload speed: 3999 kbps

Download consistency of service: 34%

Upload consistency of service: 57%

Maximum TCP delay:  95 ms

Average download pause:  1 ms

Minimum roundtrip time to server: 94 ms

Average roundtrip time to server: 95 ms

Estimated download bandwidth:  31226 kbps

Route concurrency:  1.259253

Download TCP forced idle: 83%

Frequent Visitor

I still have no solution. 

I have had techs out and "fix things", but my phones still drop outgoing voice intermittently.  After today's conference calls were destroyed because my voice kept dropping out, I called Comcast again.  They said everything looked fine on their end, and that they rebooted my modem remotely which would fix my problems.

Super frustrating.

Frequent Visitor

OK, it looks my specific problem with dropped outgoing voice during calls is getting solved.  After the 4th call to customer service, the service rep told me that they would send a senior tech since it was the 4th call for the same problem.  The first three guys replaced my splitter (multiple times), the modem, and even cut and replaced the connectors on the ends of all my cables.  Nothing actually helped more than about 30 minutes.

The senior guy called before he came out to get familiar with the situation.  That was fabulous, because the phone crapped out while talking with him.  I could hear him, but he could not hear me.

When he came out, he brought some special equipment to look for problems in the cable between the house and the street.  And guess what, there were problems.  His equipment told him where to dig, and when he dug, he found that the cable had a nick in itsprotective jacket that allowed water to get in.  Over the years, the water did its damage. 

My symptom (other than the dropped outgoing voice) was that the upstream power levels on the modem were wandering around all over the place.  The senior tech said that they should be basically rock solid and not change much over time.  Mine would change from low 40'sdBmV  (good) to high 50's (very bad), and would slowly shift throughout that range over the span of 30 minutes.

They told me that in my case, I needed a new cable between the house and the street because a splice would not work (for some reason).  So in the interim, they laid a replacement line on the ground and will come back in 2 months to bury a new cable.  In the meantime, the replacement line has been working perfectly.  No more dropped calls.