members

online now

discussions

unresolvable ocassional dropouts and static

Regular Contributor

unresolvable ocassional dropouts and static

unresolvable occasional dropouts and static

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have been having this issue since the spring. Based on my experiences in electronics, 33+ years with Tactical Satellite Repair for the government, I would speculate that there is an A2D or D2A converter at the head end where the interface to the POTS is located that is bad. It's dropping out.

I'm tried of recycling my modem, I'm tired of calling Comcast and getting the same old bull and them recycling my modem because the problem does not seem to be here. The last time I called I was supposed to get a call back saying they found the problem, no call so the problem is still there.  The wife tried to make an important call this morning. You guessed it, dropouts, she couldn't hear the people on the other end. She had to use her cell phone to call them again and finish the call. Why am I paying for dropouts, I thought they were an option I didn't sign up for.

When numerous people use their Comcast phones, a piece of equipment at the head end connects with the plain old telephone system via randomly assigned analog to digital and digital to analog converters to complete the call. One or more of these converters is bad. It's a roll of the dice when it will happen again.

The next step is Verizon for telephone communications if the same malarkey continues.

Now they want to send a technician out here and he will want to replace the modem and I'll go through heck again to get the modem in bridge mode and have the darned second SSID shut off.

Why can there be any "GOOD" service people that come to one's house?

Why do the telephone technicians say there will be extra charges if the problem is on my end? ( It Aint. )

Why do I have to waste my time writing here and again next Wednesday with some "plug and play" so called technician that knows nothing about electronics?

Ya' know, someone could write a computer program to run on the head end equipment to cycle through all the channels and when it encounters the one with the drop outs, flag it so the unit can be changed out that has the bad converters. But no....

I tell you people, I am not a happy camper. 

Any Comcast people want to respond to this?

Fyi: Modem Stats:

Downstream 116741.00 MHz1.63 dBmV36.39 dB256QAM3987951200
Downstream 21651.00 MHz4.16 dBmV37.64 dB256QAM3368887100
Downstream 32657.00 MHz4.61 dBmV37.94 dB256QAM3868845600
Downstream 44669.00 MHz4.74 dBmV37.36 dB256QAM36653289480
Downstream 56681.00 MHz4.91 dBmV38.98 dB256QAM410997984230
Downstream 610705.00 MHz3.80 dBmV37.94 dB256QAM39635229500
Downstream 711711.00 MHz3.74 dBmV38.26 dB256QAM40079434260
Downstream 813723.00 MHz2.89 dBmV37.64 dB256QAM478287510

UCIDFreqPowerChannel TypeSymbol RateModulation
Upstream 14837.60 MHz46.25 dBmVDOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)2560 kSym/s64QAM
Upstream 24519.40 MHz43.75 dBmVDOCSIS1.x (TDMA)2560 kSym/s16QAM
Upstream 34624.40 MHz44.50 dBmVDOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)5120 kSym/s64QAM
Upstream 44731.00 MHz44.50 dBmVDOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)5120 kSym/s64QAM
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: unresolvable ocassional dropouts and static

Hi there,

Here are the signal levels for your gateway.

PulledDSRXDSSNRUSTXUSSNRT3T4LOST SYNCSRESETSDS FEC UNCUS FEC UNC
11/12 21:53   36.8 46 30.5 120 0 4 1 0 0
11/12 13:58   36.3 47 32.7 120 0 4 1 0 0
11/12 07:28   37 46.8 32.6 120 0 3 1 0 0
11/11 21:46   36.8 46.8 32.7 120 0 3 1 0 0
11/11 07:34   37 47 32.8 120 0 3 1 0 0
11/10 21:59   37 46.5 31.4 120 0 3 1 0 0
11/10 13:59   37.3 47.3 33 120 0 3 1 0 0
11/10 07:31   37 46.8 32.7 120 0 3 1 0 0
11/9 21:54   37 46 30.9 116 0 3 1 0 0
11/9 14:00   37 46.5 34.2 116 0 3 1 0 0
11/9 07:42   37 46.3 32.4 116 0 3 1 0 0
11/8 21:52   37 46 31 115 0 3 1 0 0

What I can do is send these levels along when escalating your issue so that we can attempt to bypass a tech and send out a line tech.

Will this action work for you?

Thanks!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Hi Jesse,

If that is possible please do, but I have a firm feeling that the problem is at the head-end as I encountered just about the same thing several times with multiplexers in satellite terminals for the government.

Hoping the "line tech" is not a "plug and play" individual.

I SERIOUSLY, (caps intended), appreciate your assistance in this matter as it's an ongoing battle. One that my wife is ready to call Verizon and get the land line reinstated over.

An additional reason I think it's at the head end is because several others I have talked with in the area, not only in my immediate area, have said they have the same problem.

Cordially,

Gerry

PS: so is the appointment for Wednesday canceled?

not related: have you tried that Android app; "WiFi Analyzer"?

Bronze Problem Solver

Hi there,

We are going to keep the appointment for next Wednesday for now.

I am updating the notes on the account to reflect my findings, and I'll send them over to your local market. From that point, they'll decide what the next step is. I'll make sure to mention the information you told me so they are aware of what the potential cause is.

Thanks!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

As for your second point, unfortunately I have never used that App. I am considering making the jump to Droid though. = )

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Well Jesse,

the serviceman was here today. I handed him a printout of the levels you had above and it looked like he was trying to read a French phone book. He said it doesn't matter he looked at the levels before he came over.

He changed the short piece of coax between the outside arrester block and the splitter before the modem because It was stapled with T-25 staples. He said sometimes they cause resonance.

( on a shielded cable ! )

Gee, maybe he should read Wikopedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable

EDIT ADDED: If one does not compress the cable at the staple, and  that the staple ONLY allows for the cable to be secured to the wood underneath without compressing or deforming the cable, then no effect of external tiny pieces of metal should cause problems with the signal inside the cable. The problem exists when the cable is deformed and dented by the staple. This effects high frequency transmission by changing the SWR of that piece of cable overall very slightly lowering the power levels at certain higher frequencies. This is NOT the interment problem I was having with drop-outs otherwise it would be happening all the time.

Then changed one end connector on the phone cable that runs between the modem and the interface block on my phone wiring. He said it was "reversed".

I explained to him what the problem seemed like to me and he admitted he didn't exactly know what I was talking about, but would tell them back at the office.

( maybe they had a good laugh )

We will see if anything had changed in the drop-outs static. I hope I'm wrong and it is fixed, but I firmly doubt I'm wrong and the problem will persist until someone eventually will say; "That is the way ALL VOIP acts, some more than others but they all act that way."

I will try to post again the next time drop-outs or static happens.

Gerry

Bronze Problem Solver

Hello Gerry,

Yes, please keep me up-to-date on this. If there's anything else I can do, let me know.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Bronze Problem Solver
Moved: