Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

text from computer

New Poster

text from computer

how do I send a text message from my computer ?

Valued Contributor

Re: text from computer

You will need to login to the xfinity.comcast.net site with your account information.  Once logged in, in the upper right hand corner of the screen click on the little envelope icon to open up the main email screen.  When the email screen opens, at the top there will be an option Text, click on it.  This will open up the texting screen for you.  Once on the Texting screen, click the New Message button to begin a new text message, and doing so will prompt you to enter a phone number or select from your contacts to send the text to.  Once the contact is selected, then in the open space at the bottom of the screen you start typing your text message.  These instructions were written based upon the new account format, if you haven't been upgraded to that new format yet hopefully these instructions will get you close enough to find the options to get to the texting screen.

Hope this helps you out.

Official Employee

Hi Dirtern56, thank you for reaching out and irarichardsmith steps are correct, please let us know if you were able to text from the PC or have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Most Valued Poster

ComcastPhill wrote:

Hi Dirtern56, thank you for reaching out and irarichardsmith steps are correct, please let us know if you were able to text from the PC or have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you

ComcastPhil...is there a way to attach a photo when sending a text message from my pc with Comcast texting?

Official Employee

Hi TerriB, I can answer your text messaging question on behalf of ComcastPhil. Our text messaging service uses SMS format, so unfortunately there is no way to send photos. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Hi TerriB, I can answer your text messaging question on behalf of ComcastPhil. Our text messaging service uses SMS format, so unfortunately there is no way to send photos. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. 

Thank you Joe Tru.....do you know if there are any plans to add MMS capability?

Official Employee

You're welcome TerriB. At this time, I have not heard any plans to add MMS messaging. If I do hear of anything, I'll post it here. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

ComcastJoeTru wrote:

You're welcome TerriB. At this time, I have not heard any plans to add MMS messaging. If I do hear of anything, I'll post it here. 

Any word on adding MMS messaging to the online texting feature from a computer? Can you help me understand what the technical difference is between attaching a photo to a text message on a phone and  being able to do so via computer? I use the online texting more and more and sure would like to be able to send photos. Thanks

Official Employee

Hi TerriB, I do not see anything coming in the near future that would enable you to text from the computer. However we do listen to customer feedback, please click on this link and let our management team know that you would like this feature added to your online services. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

ComcastAmir wrote:

Hi TerriB, I do not see anything coming in the near future that would enable you to text from the computer. However we do listen to customer feedback, please click on this link and let our management team know that you would like this feature added to your online services. 

Thank you...I have submitted my feedback/request but I still would like to know what the technological reason is that this cannot be done.

Official Employee

Hello TerriB,

I apologize for the limitations of any communications technology to which you would like to take advantage. Unfortunately at this time we have not made the necessary infrastructure changes to support texting from your computer. Combinations of limitations prevent such a feature from being rolled-out at this time. Programming done by engineers for computers and mobile devices, multiple network end-point upgrades, along with ensuring feature access across the entire Comcast foot-print, are a few of the short-comings that come to mind. Please feel free to post for updates to when or if such a feature will be released. Again I apologize for any frustration this has caused you.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

ComcastMichaelP wrote:

Hello TerriB,

I apologize for the limitations of any communications technology to which you would like to take advantage. Unfortunately at this time we have not made the necessary infrastructure changes to support texting from your computer. Combinations of limitations prevent such a feature from being rolled-out at this time. Programming done by engineers for computers and mobile devices, multiple network end-point upgrades, along with ensuring feature access across the entire Comcast foot-print, are a few of the short-comings that come to mind. Please feel free to post for updates to when or if such a feature will be released. Again I apologize for any frustration this has caused you.

Wow..that was a mouthfulSmiley Happy...lol.

I used the feedback form suggested earlier on this thread and the response from a member of the customer satisfaction team  was very quick which I appreciated and this is what I was told..... " You should be able to add attachments via computer when you are using the text messaging application. "  The rep also asked me if I was using Xfinity Connect on the computer and a couple of other questions. I replied that yes I use Xfinity Connect and there is no place to add an attachment. Yesterday evening I received a phone call from escalation team member who was quite surprised that there was no way to attach a photo and said he was going to try it and was going to escalate further and call me back today. Can't wait to hear what he has to say after trying to attach.

Official Employee

Thank you for posting your findings in this process. Please feel free to keep us updated as to what the escalations team reports to you.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

ComcastMichaelP wrote:

Thank you for posting your findings in this process. Please feel free to keep us updated as to what the escalations team reports to you.

Will do

Most Valued Poster

ComcastMichaelP wrote:

Well...the escalation team got back to me and it was confirmed that we cannot add an attachment  (send as MMS) when texting via Xfinity Connect on a computer like we can on a mobile device. It seems that Xfinity Connect on mobile devices is an APP but its not an APP on the computer. I am not happy about this but nothing I can do. What is the best way to formally request a feature enhancement?

Official Employee

I am sorry about the limitations of our technology at this time. You can send a feature enhancement request to https://support.xfinity.com/svp-contact-form. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

ComcastMichaelP wrote:

I am sorry about the limitations of our technology at this time. You can send a feature enhancement request to https://support.xfinity.com/svp-contact-form. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thats the link I was given to feedback about not being able to attach to a text using Xfinity Connect on a computer. I don't see a category on there for new feature or feature enhancement. So I guess there is not a place specifically to request enhancement?

Official Employee

All you would need to do is select the Xfinity Voice category, let them know that you contacted us about the idea (Social Media) then type your suggestion in the box below. This will get to the correct team for Xfinity voice and Xfinity Mobile ideas to be submitted. I cannot speak on their contact with you but this is the best path that I am aware of in submitting ideas. Please feel free to post on your progress in this process.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

ComcastMichaelP wrote:

All you would need to do is select the Xfinity Voice category, let them know that you contacted us about the idea (Social Media) then type your suggestion in the box below. This will get to the correct team for Xfinity voice and Xfinity Mobile ideas to be submitted. I cannot speak on their contact with you but this is the best path that I am aware of in submitting ideas. Please feel free to post on your progress in this process.

Are you sure I would select Xfinity Voice to ask for enhancement to add attaching photos to texts from a computer like we can on mobile devices?

Official Employee

This is the only means to send suggestions for our voice products. As sending pictures and text messages are features for mobile voice this would be the best avenue. This is not simply a feature that all computer systems can support as it relies on the voice service to be delivered. Unfortunately this is also the limit of our access to submit ideas for such a feature. I do apologize for this limitation.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Most Valued Poster

ComcastMichaelP wrote:

This is the only means to send suggestions for our voice products. As sending pictures and text messages are features for mobile voice this would be the best avenue. This is not simply a feature that all computer systems can support as it relies on the voice service to be delivered. Unfortunately this is also the limit of our access to submit ideas for such a feature. I do apologize for this limitation.

Ok, thanks...I will give it a try. Texting from the computer using Xfinity Connect is so nice compared to the phone as I don't have to deal with the tiny phone keyboard.  I am a two handed fast typist who doesn't look at the keyboard (except for the top row...lol) and the phone keyboard drives me nuts.  All I need to make the computer texting perfect is to be able to send MMS texts.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation