Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

telephone hook up

Regular Visitor

telephone hook up

We have our telephone service through comcast.  I use a wireless phone with the base unit connected to the modem.  The modem is located upstairs.  I must now connect a heart monitor for my wife which will connect via telephone to a local hospital.  The monitor must be located where she sleeps which is down stairs.  The monitor requires me to plug into a phone jack.  The phone jacks beside her bed seem to be dead which makes sense since they aren't connected to the modem. Comcast tells me that the phone jacks should be live although I don't see how.  I have tried plugging the base unit into the downstairs jacks and there is no dial tone.

Is there some way to connect the heart monitor to the comcast phone system by using the phone jacks located beside her bed ?

Cable Expert

Re: telephone hook up

Look in the room where the Comcast gateway is located.  If there is a phone jack in the wall, then connect a standard telephone cord from the L1/L2 jack on the gateway to the jack in the wall.  That might be enough to activate the other jacks in the home.  You can take a standard wired phone to the jacks in the house to test it before plugging in the monitor.

Make sure the inside wiring is disconnected from the local telephone companies drop at the network interface on the outside of the house.

If you can't get it working, then you will have to get someone out to get your inside wiring connected.  It can be someone handy, hire a local low voltage contractor or hire Comcast.  There would be a charge involved.  

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks.   This works!

New Poster

no offense but using a comcast phone service which can fail to work when the power goes out isnt a great idea for  such a device i would get a wired phone service that doesnt require actual power, its your wifes health for sakes.

Im not a comcast employee but i do work at a hospital and i know what sort of device you speak of.