New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

"No Answer" when trying to send faxes

New Poster

"No Answer" when trying to send faxes

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've seen this same question asked in many different ways by searching and I apologize for asking again. I haven't found a specific answer that helps me.

The house where I live has Xfinity triple play. There is a modem upstairs where a telephone is connected, but there is also a telephone jack in the basement. This telephone jack was wired by comcast. When you plug a phone into it, it works.

I have an Epson Workforce 645 All In One Printer/Scanner/Fax. It is plugged into the downstairs phone jack. I've lived here for several months and have successfully sent faxes from this device using this setup before. The last time was in May of 2013. Since then, whenever I try to fax anything, the machine dials, sits for several minutes, and then gives a "No Answer" error.

I've tried using *70 before the number to turn off call waiting. I've reset the fax communication settings to defaults. I've turned off ECM and V.34. The firmware on the fax machine is up to date. When I do a communication test, the printout says everything passes. I used the fax machine to call my cell phone. When I answered my cell phone I verified that the fax machine is dialing out and is sending the beeping signals required to get the attention of the device answering the call. I don't have another phone plugged into the EXT2 port of the Epson, but I never had one in the past and it still worked.

Does anyone know if Comcast has changed something in the last two or three months that makes fax machines like this no longer work? Does anyone have another idea of what I should try to get this to work? I enjoy the convenience of being able to fax things from home (or used to), so I'd like to get this resolved if possible.

Of course their tech support was no help.

Thanks in advance,

Shadokat

Cable Expert

Re: "No Answer" when trying to send faxe

There's been no reports of sudden fax failures on the forum.  Can you change the baud rate to 9600?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon