New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

porting number Nightmare

New Poster

porting number Nightmare

Porting number NIGHTMARE

Ok, time to vent a bit here. About 3 or 4 weeks ago, we started the process of adding voice to our comcast package, thereby leaving AT&T. The initial comcast customer service agent told us we already had the right modem to connect the phone to, so nothing else was needed. We discovered several days later we DID in fact need a new modem, because our existing one didn't have a phone jack. So I call in, get them to send us a new modem, they say ok, fine.
So we wait a week or so, nothing appears in the mail. I call again, tell them to send the modem, and specify they PLEASE send it to the alternate address on our account. They say fine, they can do that. So what do they do...they send it to the wrong address.
Finally we get a new modem, hook it up, and call in to get it provisioned. That all seems to go OK. But then it turns out we can make outgoing calls fine, but incoming calls are still being routed to the old AT&T line. (NOT to the modem, as they should be). I spend multiple hours talking to multiple comcast service agents. Sometimes I get disconnected and dropped. Sometimes I get told to call another department at another 800 number, but it turns out its the wrong department. Sometimes I get put on hold, the call resets, and then finally gets connected to a new agent, in which case you have to start the whole process over again.
The situation at the moment is that the comcast agents all tell me the porting process is complete, and the number is on comcast now. Oh really?? Then please explain why calls to our number still ring on the ATT line, not our shiny new comcast modem.
Yesterday a 'report ticket' was supposedly opened and the agent confidently told me a technician would be calling between 12 and 5. With heavy skepticism, I said OK. Well the clock struck 5 oclock, and you guessed it ...no phone call.

Comcast, I think your service agents mean well, I really do. They all try to be polite. But in my experience, they fail miserably at actually doing what they are supposed to do. They give misinformation, they send to wrong addresses, they give wrong phone numbers for wrong departments, etc.
This has been a Complete Freaking Nightmare. I have no idea how you guys get away with this.

If anyone at Comcast reads this and wishes to take the bull by the horns and get in touch with me and actually fix this problem, that would be nice. But I'm not holding my breath...

Chisolm Wilson

Cable Expert

Re: porting number Nightmare

To get help, your best option is to contact Comcast Corporate Customer Service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com). You can also ask for help via Twitter (@ComcastCares), Facebook or the Comcast Direct Forum.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: porting number Nightmare

I guess comcast is good for two things, cable and internet. Voice is not the right thing for them or they do not have right person to handle this division. I completely agree that the agents are completely ignorant when dealing with voice issues. I am happily back to my double play bundle and cancelled the voice service when they could not transfer a number from vonage.