New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

phone won't connect with new X1 gateway

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

phone won't connect with new X1 gateway

I received new modem from Comcast yesterday.  It says something like Welcome to X1 on the box.  I'm at work and cannot post the actual model info, but I was hoping someone might have had this problem and can answer my question regardless of my not being able to supply exact equipment ID.  Basically, the new X1 modem looks very much like the last one, only it seems to have more power and has two internet speeds.  I hooked everything up to the new modem exactly the way the old one was set up.  All the lights blinked; the internet set itself up just fine.  The telephone line blinked briefly when it powered up and then never connected.  No dial tone at all.  I unplugged, disconnected, reconnected all the wires and cables.  Same experience.  Did that 4 times, even hitting the reset button once.  Finally just dismantled the new modem and reconnected my old one.  Phone connected just fine to the old one.  

How can I tell if it is the new modem, or possibly the phone jack on the new modem? I don't want to place a service call if there is something easy that I could just be missing.   Since reconnecting my old one got me connected without incident, I cannot imagine why the new one wouldn't connect just as easily. It seems obvious to me that my phone line works.  I am still connected through my old modem right now.  I read and re-read the instructions and all it says is if I have Xfinity Voice, I need to connect my phone to Tel1, which I did, several times. Not sure if I should return the new modem yet because I can't help but think I must be missing some crucial step that maybe didn't get printed on the instruction manual.  I tried calling the support line but it rings once and then I get dead air.  Thought I would have an online chat, but I was 15 in the queue and I am at work so there went that idea.  So, I am hitting the community boards to see if anyone else has experienced this problem.  

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: phone won't connect with new X1 gateway

wingnut857 wrote:

I received new modem from Comcast yesterday.  It says something like Welcome to X1 on the box.  I'm at work and cannot post the actual model info, but I was hoping someone might have had this problem and can answer my question regardless of my not being able to supply exact equipment ID.  Basically, the new X1 modem looks very much like the last one, only it seems to have more power and has two internet speeds.  I hooked everything up to the new modem exactly the way the old one was set up.  All the lights blinked; the internet set itself up just fine.  The telephone line blinked briefly when it powered up and then never connected.  No dial tone at all.  I unplugged, disconnected, reconnected all the wires and cables.  Same experience.  Did that 4 times, even hitting the reset button once.  Finally just dismantled the new modem and reconnected my old one.  Phone connected just fine to the old one.  

How can I tell if it is the new modem, or possibly the phone jack on the new modem? I don't want to place a service call if there is something easy that I could just be missing.   Since reconnecting my old one got me connected without incident, I cannot imagine why the new one wouldn't connect just as easily. It seems obvious to me that my phone line works.  I am still connected through my old modem right now.  I read and re-read the instructions and all it says is if I have Xfinity Voice, I need to connect my phone to Tel1, which I did, several times. Not sure if I should return the new modem yet because I can't help but think I must be missing some crucial step that maybe didn't get printed on the instruction manual.  I tried calling the support line but it rings once and then I get dead air.  Thought I would have an online chat, but I was 15 in the queue and I am at work so there went that idea.  So, I am hitting the community boards to see if anyone else has experienced this problem.  

Thanks.

WIth a gateway device  ( Internet & EMTA ) there are 2 modems within the device...while you activated the Internet and you are up and running with that, it would seem that there is a disconnect with the EMTA ( phone ) being activated.    Call into Comcast @ 1-800-COMCAST or 1-800-XFINITY and speak with a CSR about activating the EMTA side of your new gateway and you should be working within minutes of the call. 

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

View answer in context
Service Expert

wingnut857 wrote:

Thanks.

WIth a gateway device  ( Internet & EMTA ) there are 2 modems within the device...while you activated the Internet and you are up and running with that, it would seem that there is a disconnect with the EMTA ( phone ) being activated.    Call into Comcast @ 1-800-COMCAST or 1-800-XFINITY and speak with a CSR about activating the EMTA side of your new gateway and you should be working within minutes of the call. 

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  I'll give that a try when I get home!

Frequent Visitor

I tried again and this time I had success.  Apparently it was because I stopped at the activation part, but I feel I need to mention that I only stopped initially because it said to be sure that ALL of my connected devices were working properly before I activated it, and since the phone was NOT working, I originally stopped at that stage, thinking something was wrong with the equipment.  It seemed wrong to continue activating equpment that was not completely 100% up and running. I'm not technologically advanced by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been connecting devices in my home for years and usually have no trouble as long as I follow instructions.  In my opinion, Comcast needs to be much clearer in the manual/instructions for this particular piece of equipment.  One more line stating that you need to activite the gateway/modem BEFORE your phone will connect would have told me all I needed to know. 

I am thankful to be able to get helpful advice through this community forum and in this case, the advice was spot on.  Thanks so much!