Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

phone jacks not working

Contributor

phone jacks not working

Since I was ported over from Verizon to Xfinity voice my corded phone will not work on any of my house jacks.  It worked before I was ported over.  My cordless phone is plugged into the modem and is working.  What can I do to ge the phone jack working for my other phone.  I have talked to a service rep several times but I get different answers.  Hope someone can help me. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: phone jacks not working

Try disconnecting the internal phone wire from the customer side of the phone demarc box, usually found on the side of the house. Then connect a wire from the modem to the nearest phone jack.

Other than that I guess you would need someone to look at the internal wiring.

Contributor

Thanks for the informations.  I opened the box but do not know how to undo the wire.

Silver Problem Solver

Shouldn't be too difficult, I just had to unscrew 2 terminals on my old box. If your'e not happy find someone to look at it for you.

If you live in an apartment or have an alarm ect; It gets more complicated.

Contributor

I unscrewed the two terminals and plugged a wire from the modem to the phone jack which made the corded phone work but now  the cordless phone doesn't work now.  When I look at the lights on the modum only phone #1 light is lit but Phone #2 is not.

Contributor

Should I restart the modem?

Silver Problem Solver

If you have 1 phone line, then only 1 phone light should be lit. The line should go from the tel1/L1 jack on the modem to a wall jack.

You said the corded phone worked, so remove the corded phone, and plug in the cordless base into the same jack.

Plug the cordless base into a wall jack, don't forget to plug in the power....

Contributor

Thank you so much for your help.  I appreciate it more than you know.  Both phones are working

Silver Problem Solver

Good Job! Smiley Wink

Contributor

You helped me more than all the customer service reps that I have talked to on the phone for several days.  I am so glad I posted in the forums.  Will do that will all my comcast ;problems.  Thanks again.

Silver Problem Solver

You're welcome, there's lots of good folks on here who enjoy helping fellow customers.Smiley Wink