New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

phone is cutting in and out

ANSWERED
New Poster

phone is cutting in and out

1. Cuts in and out for anywhere from a second to five seconds at a time on all incoming and outgoing calls on all phones....cordless and corded.  Five phones have been used, happens on all of them.
Accepted Solution

Re: phone is cutting in and out

Can you please PM me your CM MAC address or Comcast Account number so we can take a look?

-Chirag

Operations Engineer

NETO, Comcast

View answer in context
Regular Visitor

did you get any feedback on this I was ahving same problem

Frequent Visitor

I'm also having the same issues with phone conversations cutting in and out and the conversation garbled.

Thanks.

New Poster

Sound is interrupted during calls, often accompanied by crackling noises. Impossible to receive messages.

Service Expert

indigoaerie wrote:

Sound is interrupted during calls, often accompanied by crackling noises. Impossible to receive messages.

Try removing AC power from the device...let sit and then plug back in... let it reacquire signal and test again...

This is a simple reboot of the device and normally works wonders!!!

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, will try and advise.    Would the same technique apply to a phone (with the same issues) which is part of a fax line?

John C.

Service Expert

johnmcanata wrote:

Thank you, will try and advise.    Would the same technique apply to a phone (with the same issues) which is part of a fax line?

John C.

If you are connecting a FAX to the modem, make sure it is a 2-wire, not a 4-wire type .....

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Contributor

modem power cycle is a temporary fix. The problem comes back in about 24 hours.

New Poster

My phones are doing the same thing. Did you ever find out a solution?

Regular Contributor

I have to unplug the modem from the power outlet and plug it in every couple of days.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast replaced the current Modem and Router with a newer unit and took out my router which was standing very close to their equipment.     Not completely sure that the problem has been solved.    Still some crackline in the line but the cutting in and out is much better so far.    Still not convinced that I shouldn't unplug the phone from an outlet and let it sit and reset itself.    If I remember to do this when I go to bed and its helps I will advise.

John C

Contributor

this is the same situation I am experiencing - the power cycle only keeps it working properly for a while.  Have you found a permanent fix?  

I had Comcast out a few days ago to check on it , but he didn't know what to do about it...suggested a router extender but that's not a solution.  I'm on my third phone set; please post if you resolve your service.  Thanks !! .

Frequent Visitor

OK.   Will do.   I unplugged the base phone unit from its electrical outlet and let it sit for a couple of minutes as per what was previously suggested.     Lets see if that helps the situation.

Regular Contributor

It happens with a corded phone plugged directly into the modem so it IS COMCAST ISSUE, not your phone. I get about 36 hours of clear connections until cut-outs return when I power cycle the modem. Any not using a TC8305C emta seeing this issue?

Contributor

I tried that and everything else - not permanent fix !   To be sure there is an expert at Comcast that can resolve this isse.  Powercycle works for a few hours only.

Regular Contributor

@hinge- What modem are you using?

Contributor

this didn't work at all for me.  Hopefully Comcast has an expert that can resolve this.

Contributor

Thank you Im using xfinity data modem for internet/phone.  I have't had any problems at all with it for the past year.  Problems jsut started last week.  There have been no changes in my system or hardware that could have caused this.  The only event that I can recal is a power surge and power outage just before my problems started.

Contributor

I tried it - didn't work for me - made no difference at all. Nothing I do works.  I'm calling Comcast yet again - I'll post their response..

Regular Visitor

having the same problem.

Model: TC8305C
HW Identifier: 1.5

started a few days ago when they updated the modem firmware
Contributor

thank you - that is the same model I have . No one told me they had updated firmware.  Do you know if they can un- do it?  I've talked to so many Comcast people - they muswt not know about the update....hmmmm. Or do they and don't know how to resolve... this p[hone probem it is very aggravating and renders  the phone useless.  Thank you.  Please post if  you find anything or a work around that can be done to fix it.

Contributor

I just talked to Comcast and the tech said there are a lot of calls are coming in with the same problem as we are having.  He said he was submiting a report to a higher office - whatever that entails.  But due to the number of complaints, he said he will report it.

Frequent Visitor

Wow, looks like there are a number of us with this issue.     Replacing the Comcast modem/router (now have model XB3) and taking our router off line seems to have helped.     I took and unplugged the phone from the electrical outlet last night as well.   the saga continues.............I will unplug the phone again tonight.

Contributor

FYI - Comcast tech said there are many complaints coming in with same story.  He elevated to the next level to see if the "experts" can resolve.  I have tried everything. Seems the only thing for now is to power cycle modem every morning and it works ok most of the day.  Thank you.

Regular Visitor

I didn't notice the problem until after the firmware update.

Model: TC8305C
HW Identifier: 1.5

now has firmware:
eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 01.E6.01.22.15
Packet Cable: 2.0

under Trouble shooting: extract from the System Logs

Fri Jan 16 12:25:00 2015 Notice (6)  SW download Successful - Via Config file

Fri Jan 16 12:20:42 2015 Notice (6)  SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_v_tc8305cims_silver_c02.cm

New Poster

I am having the same issue. Here's my nightmare with Comcast:

I was experiencing intermittent wifi internet and cable connectivity issues since mid December. I called numerous times and had my modem reset which did not resolve the issues. So a technician was scheduled.

1/1 – Technician tightened a loose connection outside the house and replaced some corroded connections on the pole outside our house. That still did resolve the issue.

1/7 – Technician replaced the Arris modem with a Technicolor modem and replaced some splits. Issue still wasn’t resolved and then I started to experience the phone cutting in and out. It has happened on all 3 cordless phones and a corded phone. It even occurs when I plug the phone directly into the modem.

1/17 – Technician put new ends on some cables. Issue still was not resolved.

1/20 - I experienced very slow internet and when I reset the modem the issue was resolved but the same thing happened on 1/21.

1/21 – The technician tested his phone in the modem and it out in and out. Technician replaced the modem and did something to one of the amplifiers.

1/22 – In the morning I had no internet so I changed the channel on the modem to 11 which resolved the wifi issue but my phone still cuts in and out. It works for a day after I reset the modem.

I don't know what to do about it; maybe I can get the CEO's attention??

Service Expert

BB2444 wrote:

I am having the same issue. Here's my nightmare with Comcast:

I was experiencing intermittent wifi internet and cable connectivity issues since mid December. I called numerous times and had my modem reset which did not resolve the issues. So a technician was scheduled.

1/1 – Technician tightened a loose connection outside the house and replaced some corroded connections on the pole outside our house. That still did resolve the issue.

1/7 – Technician replaced the Arris modem with a Technicolor modem and replaced some splits. Issue still wasn’t resolved and then I started to experience the phone cutting in and out. It has happened on all 3 cordless phones and a corded phone. It even occurs when I plug the phone directly into the modem.

1/17 – Technician put new ends on some cables. Issue still was not resolved.

1/20 - I experienced very slow internet and when I reset the modem the issue was resolved but the same thing happened on 1/21.

1/21 – The technician tested his phone in the modem and it out in and out. Technician replaced the modem and did something to one of the amplifiers.

1/22 – In the morning I had no internet so I changed the channel on the modem to 11 which resolved the wifi issue but my phone still cuts in and out. It works for a day after I reset the modem.

I don't know what to do about it; maybe I can get the CEO's attention??

Try this:

Send an email to:

we_can_help@comcast.com

Include all of your information, full name, service address, phone numbers where you can be reached easily, as well as the phone number associated with your account, your account number, and details about all the issues you have been having. Also include a link to this post.

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Problem Solver

I have a senior friend that was having the same problems as you guys and the solution for her was that she was backfeeding her gateway to he phone jacks. So I went outside and found that the installer had never removed her AT&T connection at the Demarc box. Once I removed it all her problems disappeared.

New Poster

My phone is connected directly to the gateway.  Same problem as you all, phone cuts in and out, but now it's the other party who can't hear me for 5-10-20 seconds at a time periodically on EVERY CALL.  And I use a remote desktop for my company, and I lose connection to it multiple times a day, EVERY DAY which indicates interruption with internet connection.

Regular Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue plus wi-fi reception on second floor does same thing - there one minute gone the next.

This all started after I upgraded to XFinity wi-fi modem. the temporary fixes mentioned in messages from prior years only works for a very short time.

If anyone gets good advise from Comcast please post it.

Contributor

If i reset the modem each morning, my phone and internet will work most of the day - otherwise they are off and on all day.  I called Comcast this morning and he said he wa aware of numerous complaints like this but doesn't know if Comcast is doing anything about it.  I suppose if we all call  and complain, they will do something  He did say he would elevate my complaint to the next level...but who knows if that will help. 

Regular Visitor

Helps only for a short time then it's BACK

Regular Visitor

Same here. Comcast can't fix it. We are about ready to cancel service. They tell us it's our issue not their equipment. Seems to me it's not our issue but theirs. That is unless we are all crazy. Seems to me there are alot of us complaigning We have been going through this since December. Unplug, reset, reboot over and over and over and over and over. SICK OF IT!!!!!!!!

Also have come to realize this issue is causing wireless internet printing problems. I assume it is due to the awful case of hickups we are all getting from comcast.

Contributor

You're right - I have considered moving my service, too.  Frustrating to say the least.  My wireles printing is acting up but never thought about it being connected to this basicproblem.  Thank you for  your input.  I told Comcas I would call them every morning to power cycle my modem so I don't get connection problems all day. If I power cycle in the morning, my phone works ok most of the day.

Regular Visitor

I am having same issue here, Unplug, wait plug back in works for a few minutes hours if lucky then right back to same cutting out issue, Tried to install old unit and it will not work at all now, So went back to this Wifi Tc8305c unit as out of options now. but is so not a good thing, they need to find a fix for this now, & quit sending this units out till they figure out the problem. Would have just stayed with my old one verse this.. If anyone ever does get a solution to this problem Pretty Please let the rest of us know. Thanks

Official Employee

Can you please PM me your CM MAC address or Comcast Account number so we can take a look?

-Chirag

Operations Engineer

NETO, Comcast

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Contributor

as you requested :  Will PM mac .  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  In addition to my phone cutting in and out, my internet does the same thing  - not sure if it's related but internet goes and comes all day. If I powercycle in the morning, it may work for several hours without interruption.

Thank you ....

Regular Visitor

What do PM and CM MAC mean? And please don't laugh.

Contributor

I would never laugh !! Good guestion...

PM = private message - you can send a private message in this forum

CMAC - not sure but it stands for what is called the "MAC" address on your modem

Regular Visitor

Thank you.I found the CMAC on my modem. I've never sent a PM in this forum. Help?

Regular Visitor

I have had the problem for several months now, but trying to live with it. The phone cutting in and out is only on the receive end.  That is the person on the other end cuts out every 8 or 9 seconds.  My transmission to them is ok.  I assume the problem started when I switched to a new Modem.  I now have a new Xfinity Technicolor TC8305C.  Sometimes I have the problem sometime I have no problem.  I finally tried an experiment and reset my modem using the reset buttom on the back of the unit.  The problem goes away for maybe an hour or maybe several hours, but it always comes back.  When it does the I hit the reset button and it is fixed.  It sounds like others have also discovered this solution.  Now I am trying to see if there is any correlation between not being able to print and this issue of the phone cutting in and out.  Tomorrow I will call Comcast and see if there is a perminate fix. HA- HA.

Stay tuned.

Regular Contributor

@littleegg- I'm also experiencing problems with voice cut out on incoming audio using TC8305 with software (01.E6.01.22.15 ). It seemed to ocurr following the latest frimware update and IPV6 being pushed to the modem.  So 3 days ago I reset the modem to factory default. It loaded the same firmware as referenced earlier but IPV6 has not returned. I did re-apply my custom wireles settings but left the rest at default. But since then the phone has not cut-out whereas prior to this a regular reset would not last more than about 24 hours.

Contributor

An engineer from Comcast, Chirag, fixed my problem. I asked what he did, but he didn'tsay.  It was something to do with the same modem you are using. Mine has been problem free for several days now.  

Good luck with yours - sounds like you know what you're doing there!

Contributor

there is  a msg to me from chirag - comcast engineer -  in this forum - msg him. 

Regular Visitor

Thanks. I will.

Service Expert

Chirag-K wrote:

-Chirag

Operations Engineer

NETO, Comcast

While we do appreciate and welcome all attempts to help a poster you may not be aware of the fact that Comcast employees must be authorized by the forum administrators in order to post in an official capacity in the forum. Authorized employees have the their names in red and are designated as such.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.

Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

does this mean Chirag is not an employee of Comcast as stated on their posting?

Regular Contributor

Queen-Evie

You are correct and it is bad practice to provide sensitive information to non-Comcast employees, but your use of the term "we" and the tone of your response implies some level of authority in this forum. Are you a Comcast employee?  I ask because your username Is Not Red.

Service Expert

Chirag-K is a Comcast employee.

He is awaiting Official Employee/name in red status.

No, I am not a Comcast employee. Never have been, never will be.

"We" means those of us who help here/get answers to questions, whether Experts,  non-experts or Official Employees.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

and  your name is not in red, so does that mean you aren't an employee?  I just want to get the correct info for future postings.  Thanks !