Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

no dial tone

New Poster

no dial tone

I have a quick post about phone service. I notice no dial tone on my cordless phone. Phone is plugged directly into modem. Everything is fully charged. There are no functioning wall phone jacks. The phone service (per Comcast) will only come into house via modem. The internet is working fine with out any problems. There were no storms, no power outages, nothing unusual that would cause a problem.

I unplug everything, and restart it all. Finally use online chat help. Everything checks out fine, no problem with modem, and I'm told it's my phone. My phone is new, less than 6 months old, Panasonic set from Costco. I set up an appointment for service call because I'm convinced it is the modem. I borrow a neighbors old-fashioned phone with a cord, plug it into modem, and I get a dial tone. I plug my cordless set back in and it works! Why wouldn't the online service agent suggest that? I just cancelled my service appontment and saved myself the fee I would have been charged.

I looked at these forums for help. I did not see any posts suggesting to try a cheap old phone with a cord. I'm not sure how the problem started between cordless phone and modem. Try it before setting up a service call. I doubt I  am the only one this has happened to.

Administrator
Administrator

Re: no dial tone

I apologize for the bad experience you had with this. The issue might have been as a result of a lose phone jack, by removing it and reconnecting it might have resulted on the cable being securely in. The fix might have not necessarily come from using the other phone and it could have been a coincidence. If the issue returns, my suggestion would be swapping out the modem since it could be a bad phone port on it. -FC 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon