New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

no dial tone

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

no dial tone

I am having an issue of my cordless phones saying "check tele line" and not getting any dial tone. But my modum says lines to the house are working fine and when people call they can hear it ring then it goes to voice mail at Comcast but we hear nothing at the house. I am not sure if i need Comcast to come out or just get new phones. Computer is working just fine.

Accepted Solution

Re: no dial tone

Ok JayInAlg.. I put a corded phone into the jack that the computer line comes in to and everything works fine. So i put a splitter into that line and every phone works just fine now IF you have it plugged into that splitter not if you plug it into any other phone box in the house. When i opened that perticular box one green wire that looks like it has come off the connection and the green wire has no connection head anymore. The house was built in 1973 so i am sure they are old. i am not sure why this one wire affects the who house of boxes and if comcast will charge a bundle to come out to fix this one i am sure.

View answer in context
Cable Expert

Start troubleshooting by plugging in a known good wired phone directly to the L1/L2 jack on the telephony modem or gateway.

Give it a test.  If it works then it's now Comcast's issue.  It would be an inside telephone wiring issue or equipment issue that would need further troubleshooting to check all jacks, wiring, splices, connectors and equipment. Unplug all telephone equipment and start plugging everything back in to see when it breaks.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Ok JayInAlg.. I put a corded phone into the jack that the computer line comes in to and everything works fine. So i put a splitter into that line and every phone works just fine now IF you have it plugged into that splitter not if you plug it into any other phone box in the house. When i opened that perticular box one green wire that looks like it has come off the connection and the green wire has no connection head anymore. The house was built in 1973 so i am sure they are old. i am not sure why this one wire affects the who house of boxes and if comcast will charge a bundle to come out to fix this one i am sure.