New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

no dial tone since 3days

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

no dial tone since 3days

just backing up my problem, chat routed overseas won't help..just makes it more frustrating ...sent email today and copy this to the board..need serious help here ...email sent to Comcastcanhelp..

please confirm ...(probably network box outside).

Accepted Solution

Re: NO DIAL TONE SINCE 4 DAYS

Ok , I just learned alot with this problem..

However I got a friendly agent and asked him with a "friendly" voice for help..

And I got it by Sat.morning and my line is working now ...

Faith restored and again a happy customer ..

And by the way the problem was an inside wire from the old hook up of VZ....

means the pest of my old provider was still lingering around ..

thanks and good night ..

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

Re: no dial tone since 3days

I have had problems too with my phone. No dial tone. When I checked my computer, the modem had the first three lights blinking. Comcast call resulted in them telling me I needed a new modem. I sat an watched the modem's light go from three blinking to all lit. (except blinking link light) They said i had three options. ha ha. First one was to drive 50 miles to exchange my modem. Second one, have them ship me one and I pay $10.00 fee, Third was have Tech come to house. My reply: I rent this modem from you, it's your problem and I am not paying a fee to have it shipped. I suggested they send someone to my house with a new modem free of charge and give me credit on my account for the outage. I now will wait two days for tech to bring to my house. IN the meantime...I shut down computer, disconnected all the cables to the router and modem. Rehooked, Rebooted...and guess what? It's a miracle..it all works now. Funny how those cs think it's always the equipment...when it's actually not the equipment at all. Good Luck to all!!!

Regular Contributor

reboot already performed , so problem is external.Thi is a copy of my last email sent from my Gmail account since comcast server still seems to be down !!

email sent 10/23/2013 11:47 PM

Good evening,

I have sent several messages to the chatrooms with no success and I am stranded with no dial tone since three days( 911 !!!)  , I believe it could be an issue with the phone network box outside the house ...

Can you please take care of that since my schedule is extremely busy  !!!

Sincerely

xxx

p.s. ALSO THE EMAIL SENT OVER YOUR SERVER DIDN’T MAKE IT ...
Regular Contributor

looks like this is not an isolated problem since I see exact matching problems from other members on the board, I also noticed that I can receive email but unable to send it (only on Comcast server  )

Can somoebody chime in here and help or give instruction, this is getting serious now ...

I have no time to spend one hour on chat and talk to some costa rica or phillippine agency ...

Please help asap ..

Regular Contributor

NO DIAL TONE SINCE 4 DAYS

I already have posted on my problems and went also to a pointless and waisting time chat online , at this point I believe that the routed online chatrooms are not saving money for big companies ..

here is the transcript with no solution after more than 30 minutes :

analyst Joanna Mae has entered room

Joanna Mae: Hello xxx, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Joanna Mae. Please give me one moment to review your information.

xxxx: My Issue: Ok, I have sent several emails and left messages about having a dead landline since three days !!

Joanna Mae: Thank you for waiting to be assisted here on chat. You have reached the technical support for Comcast Phone/Voice Services. I will be glad to answer your concerns today.

xxxxx: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Voice-Service-and-Equipment/no-dial-tone-since-3days/td-p/1889263

Joanna Mae: Oh, that's not good. I do apologize that you had to contact us again with this issue. I really do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. I rely on my phone for important calls myself, and I wouldn't want any interruptions either.

Joanna Mae: Rest assured you have reached the right department.

Joanna Mae: I will do my best to resolve this issue for you, and I can also send a technician if necessary.

Joanna Mae: To help us narrow down the issue, would you mind if I ask you some questions, ?

xxxxx: same like last time ...ok

Joanna Mae: Thank you. May I have the affected phone number?

xxx

Joanna Mae: Thank you for the information. May I have a valid call back number just in case this will get disconnected? I want to make sure that we can fix this issue within this chat.

Joanna Mae: Oh! Thank you for that. May I have a reliable contact number as well?

Lauren: a reboot was already performed, a call back to the affected nbr was also performed which resulted in ringing but my device still shows me check line

Joanna Mae: I see.

Joanna Mae: Thank you for providing that information.

Joanna Mae: Please give me few minutes to review the status of your account. I will be back in 1-2 minutes.

Joanna Mae: Meanwhile, let me inform you that once we resolve your issue, I will go over with your account so that I can further check if you're getting the best value for your money.

Joanna Mae: I am going to perform a diagnostic check on your services & equipment. This "Health Check" verifies the current status of your equipment and your services. Would you mind waiting for 2 minutes while I do this?

xxxxx: they did that already yesterday ..is it necessary ??

Joanna Mae: Yes, it is vital for us to isolate the issue.

xxxxx: ok

Joanna Mae:  are you using a corded or cordless phone?

xxxxx: cordless

Joanna Mae: Thank you.

Waiting for response from Joanna Mae

Joanna Mae: May I know if you recently performed a powercycle on your phone set?

Joanna Mae: May I know if you recently performed a powercycle on your phone set?

Joanna Mae: these are steps to reset and refresh the settings of your cordless phone.

Joanna Mae: 1. Hang up the handset on the base station. Then disconnect the phone base station from the power and wall outlet for 30 seconds.

Joanna Mae: 2. The phone base station should be disconnected from the power and wall outlet.

Joanna Mae: 3. Then, please plug the power back on with the hand set still hung up. Doing this should force synchronize the handset channel to match the base station channel so they can communicate.

xxxxx: done already ..let's not waste time please..

Joanna Mae: Thank you for providing that information.

Joanna Mae: I will do this as quickly as possible.

Joanna Mae: I too, would love to have this issue resolved the soonest.

Joanna Mae: xxxxn, are you using a corded or cordless phone?

xxxx: I already answered this question before ...cordless

Joanna Mae: xxxx, to confirm that we have the correct modem information.May I ask you to check on your modem's MTA mac address? This is usually printed either at the back or bottom part of the modem.

Joanna Mae: It is a 12 alphanumeric series, that may look like this 00:00:00:00:00:00.

xxxxx: I am not home and not near the modem..it an arris , you should hav all the info on file...

Joanna Mae: Is there someone at home you can call to test the line now?

xxxxx  yes

Joanna Mae: I am seeing very good signals to and from the modem.

Joanna Mae: Great!

Joanna Mae: Please have them check the line now.

xxxxx: ok Joanne , not to be rude and I used to work on the other side of the fence but I will not have the time to go trough this as I am extremely busy, please send a ticket to Comcast and physical technician to my location.

xxxxxxThank you we are just waisting valuable time !!

New Poster

NOT ABLE TO CALL OUT SINCE 10/6/2013 BUT CAN RECEIVE CALLS.  I have wasted days on the chat line and troubleshooting voice services and still my phone service problems have not been repaired.  There has been a service outage message on my account for the past 3 weeks and I have been told that the problem can't be resolved until the service outage is repaired.  Very poor service.

Regular Contributor

Ok, unfortunately this was not resolved which leaves me but nothing to send in a formal complaint to the PUC since they have jurisdiction over utilities , sorry but you messed up big time here ...

http://www.puc.state.pa.us/filing_resources/filing_complaints.aspx

Cable Expert

SKORPION2012 wrote:

Ok, unfortunately this was not resolved which leaves me but nothing to send in a formal complaint to the PUC since they have jurisdiction over utilities , sorry but you messed up big time here ...

http://www.puc.state.pa.us/filing_resources/filing_complaints.aspx

Comcast is not considered a public utility in most states (including Pennsylvania) so the PUC has no authority over them.

You might consider a complaint with your franchising authority. A franchising authority is the local municipal, county or other government organization that regulates certain aspects of the cable television industry at the state or local level. The name of the franchising authority may be on the front or back of your cable bill. If this information is not on your bill, contact Comcast or your local town or city hall.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Telecommunications will be accepted (not broadband which is FCC) , II had many hearings with the PUC and I hope we don't have to involve them.

Forget about the franchising authority , they are not capable to do anything ..

It would be really really nice if somebody could help me out here , I mean now 5 days with no dial tone ??? 

Cable Expert

SKORPION2012 wrote:

Telecommunications will be accepted (not broadband which is FCC) , II had many hearings with the PUC and I hope we don't have to involve them.

I live in PA and worked for Comcast. The PUC won't accept even an informal complaint about Comcast voice services. 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

wow , shocked ..they really took care of that (means no lawyer necessary ..) saves them lot of problems and money ..

so if nobody took care of my problem and even customer service will not answer the phone what can a Comcast customer do to solve this problem ??

Looks like I got a friendly agent now on the phone, hopefully they will send out somebody...

Regular Contributor

Ok, can you please just explain why the PUC has jurisdiction over VZ (phone) but would not have it for Comcast ???  I am just interested in view of legal aspects .

Cable Expert

SKORPION2012 wrote:

Ok, can you please just explain why the PUC has jurisdiction over VZ (phone) but would not have it for Comcast ???  I am just interested in view of legal aspects .

POTS or "plain old telephone service" refers to landlines and is a regulated utility. Cable is considered an "information service" as such, anything they provide is essentially entertainment and not considered a vital service. So even though Comcast is the third largest providers of telephone service in the US, they don't operate under the same regulation as POTS. The cable industry has lobbied hard to keep it that way -- they don't want to regulated. 

So if you can't get help through regular channels you can :

1) Contact  Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

2) File a complaint with your franchise authority.

3) File a case via binding arbitration.

4) Change providers.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

If you are still having trouble, you could post your downstream powel level, downstream SNR, and upstream power level.  You can get this info by typing 192.168.100.1 into the address bar of your internet browser.  This information can tell is if your modem signal strecgth is out of spec.

Regular Contributor

Ok , I just learned alot with this problem..

However I got a friendly agent and asked him with a "friendly" voice for help..

And I got it by Sat.morning and my line is working now ...

Faith restored and again a happy customer ..

And by the way the problem was an inside wire from the old hook up of VZ....

means the pest of my old provider was still lingering around ..

thanks and good night ..

New Poster

No dial tone

re-booted modem

disconnected all phones

check phone on exterior box  no dial tone

Called Comcast and have be on hold for two hours Plus ++++++

Not Happy  Had Comcast since 1986  Poor Service

Maybe its time

Regular Visitor

Same problem here, no dial tone, incoming calls getting message "caller is not accepting incomimg calls."  What?!?  Contacted chat last night and reset the modem twice.  They said it was an issue with my equipment not theirs?  Um, no.  My internet and tv are working and I have no lights on my modem for phone, I think the problem is with you.  Was told the issue would be escalated and a tech would work on it today and call between 9am and 12.  It is now 12:30 and no call and no phone!!!  I recently switched to comcast after years of fios.  Never had a problem with fios but thought I would save some money.  Every Sunday we've had outages and now this.  I am regretting the switch, but don't want to go through the email change again.  May have to if this issue is not resolved quickly.  A few dollars is not worth the aggravation vs reliable service.

Regular Contributor

To the administrator of this site :

this is a scam bot ( and should be removed , possibly a Verizon sting operation !!!

I'll be loyal to Comcast and never would go back to VZ !! Never ever !!

Regular Visitor

im not a scam, i have no service!  I switched to comcast after someone came to my door this summer and offered me a deal. Now I'm waiting here for my call back and looking through the forums for any help I can get to get my phone back sooner rather than later.  But thanks for the accusation.  And comcast could easily check my legitimacy and my account information by my name.  I am not hiding anything.

New Poster

We just swapped out our MTA for a new one (my assumption is that the new one supports DOCSIS 3). The internet came up right away, but phone has been down for 2 days now.     Their system tells us there is an issue and they are trying to fix it, but it's still not working.

Being in the cable business and knowing what it takes to make these services work, I don't understand why it's taking 2 days to fix this.   Hopefully they will fix it soon.   All Comcast is doing now is making me wonder if we really need a landline phone - we've survived a couple of days without one.

Regular Visitor

So the tech came out and fixed the dial tone issue yesterday.  Everything seemed fine.  He had me call my cell and then return the call.  Later in the day the phone kept ringing once and then nothing.  Assumed it was a blocked call.  After 5 calls like that I decided to call from my cell.  One ring, than nothing!  Called Comcast from the landline - yes outgoing still works.  Gave me the same "it will be 24-72 hours".  Got a call today that they will send someone out tomorrow.  So I decide to investigate myself!  After much googling it turns out there is a problem with cordless phones and comcast modems not being able to handle multiple hand sets.  So I tested this theory and unplugged a couple and Voila!  I get incoming calls again!!!  Turns out I just needed to turn the base off from ringing because the system could only handle 4 handsets ringing!  This is insane.  Still may have the tech come out?

Regular Contributor

I would recommend either having the technician out again or doing some research about this issue on your own because you might need another modem or there could be another problem, but if it does not bother you , then it should be fine to do nothing.

New Poster

lgwozdz wrote:

So the tech came out and fixed the dial tone issue yesterday.  Everything seemed fine.  He had me call my cell and then return the call.  Later in the day the phone kept ringing once and then nothing.  Assumed it was a blocked call.  After 5 calls like that I decided to call from my cell.  One ring, than nothing!  Called Comcast from the landline - yes outgoing still works.  Gave me the same "it will be 24-72 hours".  Got a call today that they will send someone out tomorrow.  So I decide to investigate myself!  After much googling it turns out there is a problem with cordless phones and comcast modems not being able to handle multiple hand sets.  So I tested this theory and unplugged a couple and Voila!  I get incoming calls again!!!  Turns out I just needed to turn the base off from ringing because the system could only handle 4 handsets ringing!  This is insane.  Still may have the tech come out?

If you Google to find the real manual for your modem (not the Mickey Mouse instructions C-cast provides), you will find in it a description of the maximum REN (RInger Equivalence Number) which it will support.

This has nothing to do with cord/cordless; instead it is how many ringers (or their equivalent) your modem can power when an incoming call arrives. Note that every phone and caller ID box has an REN and you must add up all of them to find the total load on your modem. Unfortunately, many cheapo caller ID boxes fail to state their REN on the labels, so you have to guess a bit and unplug things until it works -- as you already did.

Good luck!

-dan