Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

new voice/data modem problems

Regular Visitor

new voice/data modem problems

After I installed the upgrade voice/data modem we have problems with our phone, the incomming signal is nice and clear, the outgoing signal is braking up. Reset modem, checked all connetions, help !

Silver Problem Solver

Re: new voice/data modem problems

Hello,

Since you have done everything it is time to get a tech out.

Cable Expert

Breaking up outgoing voice is usually a upstream signal issue or upstream noise.  Best to get a Comcast tech out that will have the proper test equipment to find and fix the upstream signal issue.

If you want, you can open your browser to http://192.168.100.1 on most eMTA telephony modems and post the downstream power, upstream power and downstream SNR levels.

Upsteam SNR can't be seen on the eMTA, only a Comcast rep with access to your accout can view that level.  The Comcast rep should be able to view all signal levels on your eMTA including past history of eMTA health issue.

You should contact Comcast support at 1800comcast.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Tnx for your post, the modem came fresh out of the box, looked brand new to me. So you think it is a problem with the modem and not my equipment wich is a Panasonic digital cordless phonesystem KX-TG 6431 or the wiring in my house ( thats the 1st thing u hear when u call comcast problem is caused by your equipment ).
Cable Expert

I'm saying it is a signal issue, either outside or with your inside wiring that a Comcast tech needs to go over and check what's going on.  It can be a damaged drop cable, loose / corrorded / wet fittings or other issues with the coax cable or even into Comcast's RF portion o the plant.

It certainly can be a bad eMTA.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thought I let u know, had comcast tech at the house today for about 2 hrs, checked all the wireing since he found very noisy connection from coax to modem, got that taken care of, made some phonecalls to test connection, went back to broken up outbound signal. Had to replace modem, now everything is fine,....... so far