Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

modem

New Poster

modem

i have comcast triple play tv,phone and internet, the arris tm722g telephony modem comcast installed when i got the service stopped working. i perchased the motorola surfboard sbg6580, what voip device can i buy to use my comcast phone number?  

Problem Solver

Re: modem

You need to buy a Telephone modem and that SBD6580 is just a modem router. 

Go here to find the correct device.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Tthe Arris TM722G or TM822G is what you need.

Bronze Problem Solver

You need a telphony modem for Xfinity voice.  You will either need to get it from Comcast or if your area allows you to own a voice modem get one like the Arris TM822g to replace the modem you purchased for internet alone.

You might be able to use the one you bought for internet and add a second voice/internet modem provided by comcast with the internet portion shut off.   

Frequent Visitor

janice33

From what I am seeing on the web if you have voice service you will need to get permission from your local comcast  to replace the Arris TM722G EMTA Internet Voice Modem. It also seem that they my charge you a fee to install it based on your market. I can also tell you that it seems pretty common for the battery to go bad in that model. If you currently own that EMTA then you may consider simply replaceing the battery and calling up tech support to have them send it a new signal.

You will want one of the telephony modems or gateways listed on http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ in any case. If it does not say telephony or EMTA then it will not support your voice. The only places I have seen them for sale is best buy and amazon. I would definately stay away from their gateways though if possible as Comcast enables WiFi hotspot on the gateways and you may have problems getting it disabled.

I hope this helps

Connection Expert

janice33 wrote:

the arris tm722g telephony modem comcast installed when i got the service stopped working. 

Have you tried using the recessed reset button on the rear ? Depress and hold it in until you see the front panel lights begin to cycle. Now give it the time that it needs to fully re-synch with the system. Any better ?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon